Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 11:48:49 AM EDT
Question for anyone who knows painting and home repair...

I got a bay window on my house, paint is peeling off of it. I went up to see what's what, and i can easily peel off the latex paint from that area with my fingers. The wood underneath is damp from yesterdays rain, and dark. I am afraid its starting to rot, so I want to get another couple of coats of paint on this pronto.

The question is, how much does it cost to replace a board on a box bay window? Is this like in the thousands of dollars or what? I dont think any damage occured besides this board (which is right below the windows)

Obviously the builder never used a primer coat (cheap bastards) or the last guy who painted my house 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar problem a few years back with a newly built house in SC.  After about 8 months to a year, the paint would simply peel off.  It was re-painted twice under a builders warranty but the problem continued.

I solved the problem by carefully sanding and scraping the old paint off, down to the wood in some places.  Thank the lord there was not that much wood as it was a real pain in the ass.

Once the wood was bare, I painted it with a good latex exterior paint and had no more problems.  Just watch the weather and wait for a good dry spell.  Allow the wood to dry good before trying any work.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
peal as much paint as you can get off, let dry for a few days(cover loosly with plastic), paint it with Zinnser Bulls eye 123 primer, then paint final coats with a quality oil or water based paint.

if wood is rotten scrape back to good wood, put wood hardener on it and fill with plastic wood putty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top