Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 6:21:29 AM EDT
Anybody use them, do they work. Any suggested brands ??

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#2]
www.sun-mar.com/

Thinking more along these lines
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking into one myself for a weekend lake cabin This is the ones I have been looking at www.envirolet.com/ I couldn't find a price for the sun-mar units. If you find any more info please post it.. fullclip

Edit to addd... The spot where I want my cabin is lease only prpperty. It seems a wasste to invest $3,000.00 and up for a sewer system on a spot you can't won.. fullclip
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looking into one myself for a weekend lake cabin This is the ones I have been looking at www.envirolet.com/ I couldn't find a price for the sun-mar units. If you find any more info please post it.. fullclip

Sure will
I have been asking around and most seem to say they work
and are a lot better than an outhouse

clean and oder free

1200.00 I think plus minor expenses for extra vent pipe and stuff. For the excel model from sun mar
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Careful where you want to use them though. I asked my township sanitarian about them for a cabin I'm building. He stated since they require manual operation and regular maintenance that they are unacceptable for use in their township.

Outhouses are OK though.

Normal septic systems are maintenance and operation free (aside from pumping the tank occasionally).

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess they are a good idea if they work for you.  However, human waste is not a benign substance.  It should be processed either by aerobic or anaerobic digestion.

Aerobic, such as composting, stabilizes the material converting most of it to CO2, ash,  and water.  Otherwise, it can polute groundwater.

Anaerobic, such as closed vessel digestion (a step in the commonly used trickle filter system used by most municipalities) converts it to methane gas, ash, and water.  This system is very efficient.  The water released my a well-run system is often cleaner than any local water source treated later for human consumption.

If you want to lead a much more earth-friendly life-style and city codes permit it, go compost toilet.  However, you will still be generating "gray water" from non-toilet processes.  This will need to be bio-filtered (shallow water feature with plenty of aquatic plant life and sunlight) before it is safe to release into surface water.

I have more than 15 years experience in the composting industry.  I familiarized myself with municipal waste management starting in the very early 1970's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top