Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 7:09:54 PM EDT
Hey, I've been looking at DVDs from Hong Kong, Japan, and Taiwan, and have noticed that they all have regional coding, which makes it impossible for me to watch them.  Anyone know of any region-free DVD players or DVD-ROMs, or any software that makes it possible to mod a DVD-ROM?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
My friend has an all-region DVD player, but I believe he bought it in Japan.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
well.... i don't know about the legality of it, but i'd get a DVD burner and burn a region free copy.
i mean.... you did buy it. Not liek you're stealing anything. jsut removing the region crap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Mitsumi.  I believe you can also disable macrovision on them.  Probably mail order.  I did see one at Fry's locally but have no idea what the specs were.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
just go to walmart, or best buy. I cant remember the name of it, but it will say on the dvd player PaL TO ntsc automatic conversion, and you can disable the regiion coding and set it to 0. You can also do a search on google for region free dvd player or Pal to NTSC dvd and it should give you a few names of players. Very legal, and very easy to disable the region code. Also you can check Pal DVD rental on google and a site will come up that rents pal dvds by mail. They have a q and a page that lists the dvd player you need to get.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just go to walmart, or best buy. I cant remember the name of it, but it will say on the dvd player PaL TO ntsc automatic conversion, and you can disable the regiion coding and set it to 0.  

I have one of those

Its a Cyberhome ch dvd 300
was 40 before rebate 35 after.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a $39 Minteck from Best Buy that is region free. Hooked it up and now play it more than my $159 Sony DVD player.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
well.... i don't know about the legality of it, but i'd get a DVD burner and burn a region free copy.
i mean.... you did buy it. Not liek you're stealing anything. jsut removing the region crap.

According to the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act), it is illegal to disable or bypass region coding protection on a playback device that has it that you own in order to play media that you also own but is coded for another region. Bypassing such DRM (Digital "Rights" Management) technology would endanger companies "rights" to charge higher rates in the USA and lower rates in other regions without the risk of reimportation of the cheaper but identical goods (just like the idea of outlawing reimported drugs from Canada or reimported Kodak film from Asia). Pure grade A abuse of the system to limit the free market and benefit the corporations while screwing the consumer. Removing the region coding is a "crime."

Using a legally purchased region free player is not.

Horseshit, eh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top