Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 6:38:46 PM EDT
Well, I was planning on a move from the PRK to NY next summer (possibly Long Island or upstate), figuring that anywhere but CA is a step up in the 2nd Amendment rights ladder. Well...not so fast. After reading this..... http://vkus.freeyellow.com/PistolLicense.html#How2MoveGuns
(sorry its not hot)
I started having second thoughts. Has anyone out there done or considered this move. Any current NY residents out there that can chime in and give me the pluses and minuses to gun ownership in NY? Is there really anything better about NY? I believe you are able to own pre-ban Ar's and new neutered AR's in NY, but I may be mistaken. That is a definite plus.....but you have to get a license to bring your pistol to the range? WTF?

any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Botch,
  Why purposely head for the liberal mecca? There's gotta be a free land somewhere in between that you could put down roots in.
  BTW-Washington D.C. wouldn't be a good choice either.[
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
What part of NY do you want to work in?

I hear people commute from VT, CT and PA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... so it looks like you'll leave your AR's behind.

I dont quite understand this.....In NY, you can own an AR, just a pre-ban OR neutered post-ban. In CA, you cannot own either unless they were registered prior to the deadline a few years ago. Am I correct here?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... so it looks like you'll leave your AR's behind.

I dont quite understand this.....In NY, you can own an AR, just a pre-ban OR neutered post-ban. In CA, you cannot own either unless they were registered prior to the deadline a few years ago. Am I correct here?

Yes and pre ban mags.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Might I suggest Virginia?
Beautiful state and gun friendly too!
I received my CCW in 9 days.
Just a thought...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
nope..no other states....fiance wants to be closer to her family. As far as long guns, it looks like there is minimal B.S. Is this true? The real hardcore regs only apply to handguns?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
nope..no other states....fiance wants to be closer to her family. As far as long guns, it looks like there is minimal B.S. Is this true? The real hardcore regs only apply to handguns?

And NFA items.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of the frying pan, into...
another frying pan.

Try again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
. As far as long guns, it looks like there is minimal B.S. Is this true? The real hardcore regs only apply to handguns?

Yep ! I own 1 evil rifle for every day of the week , and twice on sundays.
And I'm a poor relation compared to some of the NY members
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
"post ban guns (ie after Sept) will be a hassle here"

can someone please re-phrase this for me?

I am thinking that the companies manufacturing AR's will no longer be making the neutered versions, and the current production/pre-bans will be of high value in NY?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"post ban guns (ie after Sept) will be a hassle here"

can someone please re-phrase this for me?

I am thinking that the companies manufacturing AR's will no longer be making the neutered versions, and the current production/pre-bans will be of high value in NY?

Companies will still make neutered versions.  Bayo lugs just need to be lopped off, barrels under 16 inches will still need to have muzzle devices permenantly attatched, and you still have a2, skeleton, and stubby stocks, or just pin a colapasible.  In either case, I'm sure there are enough post ban compliant gear out there that will keep the Equipment Exchange busy for a while.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Come to Florida you'll end up doing it anyways, all the Yankees do
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Come to Florida you'll end up doing it anyways, all the Yankees do

Not before we're ready to die though.

lol, most of them to be from the city though
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#21]
bumpity bump
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is why I left NY to come down here.

As for the family, where in NY are they?  PA is a good choice if they're on the Western side or CT is a much better choice if they're in the Southern/East area.  (I think) CT has their own AWB, but they're shall issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

WHIPED! *whip noise*
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHIPED! *whip noise*

Well...have fun trying to legally buy new AR's in the PRK  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#25]
as of 2000, when I got mine, Chautauqua county was still issueing unrestricted permits
however, the largest "city" there is Jamestown, around 35,000 people, and the job market isn't all that good
although my understanding is that it is legal to get a permit in the county you live in, and then move to another county and just update the address on your permit, although you'll still need to travel to the county courthouse it was issued in to add new guns. this understanding is from the fact that when I added my last handgun I changed the address on my permit and the permit clerk said nothing about having to reapply in my current county of residence
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top