Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 5:05:46 PM EDT
Story Link

What do you guys think of this guy?

I hope that his story of the FBI stopping his work because they thought he would make them look bad.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
There are others out there like him with better organization and better funding.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Keith Idema? Wouldn't be the first time the FBI locked him up because he made them look bad. If they were smart they'd put him on payroll as a human intelligence asset and let him run wild.
But anyone who runs against the herd is an outcast.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy is either a hero or just another bounty hunter. Remember, there is $50 MILLION US on thet guys head(no, not under the rag). The US has a BIG bounty on Osama. And if I were 20 years younger, I may have joined the hunt myself. The hunting of men is the biggest rush you can have.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to catch a scumbag terrorist some times you got to operate like one. The CIA should help fund him and his private war. We need people like this on the ground. He is a US citizen, so he is must hae more loyalty then an Afghan, and he is not limited by conventional tactics and such.

The more I see things like this the less I beleive that they really want to catch Osama. Why should we care how he is caught. If Idema caught him and surrendered him to the CIA or FBI they could just claim they caught him instead of Idema. I am sure Idema is not doing it for fame, people like Idema do it for funds and action.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Good hunting.....just don't get caught!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm not sure US command really WANTS to catch BeenLeaden.  No doubt they would be really pissed if an independent did the deed.

Personally, I don't care WHO kills the jackass, just so he becomes worm food.

Why do you think that?

Keep people scared before election?  
Most folks aren't scared of terrorism anyhow.

Because they know where he is and are learning from him?
Seems unlikely.

Just curious why you would say that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]

"I gave (the FBI) bin Laden's exact address right outside Peshawar," a northwestern Pakistani city, he said. "I gave them the grid coordinates, the street and house number and everything. They got there five days after he left. It's like, what are you doing? Do you not want to catch bin Laden?" He said the FBI later confirmed bin Laden had been at the house.

Wow!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't see any problem with private parties roaming the planet in the name of truth, justice, and the American way.

The problem you run into is the fact that US Foreign policy varies with the wind, and what we are told here in the CONUS can be wildly different than the actual policy on the ground used to appease the locals for that "Grand scheme of things" that us mere subjects could not possibly comprehend!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems to me the US is selling this guy out.  He's one of the good guys.  The CIA should have put him on the payroll.    If they were concerned about being shown up, then they should have made the offer not subject to negotiation.  

Our black ops agencies seem to lost their backbone.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thinking about it, he'll probably get a death sentence, put to death, and then start doing some real work for the CIA!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Seems to me the US is selling this guy out. He's one of the good guys. The CIA should have put him on the payroll. If they were concerned about being shown up, then they should have made the offer not subject to negotiation.

You are very gullible…

Keith Idema is a convicted fraud (thief) a proven liar, this is not the first time he has made something up out of  the blue to try and save his ass. The CIA wouldn’t touch this lying sack of suds with a 10 mile pole.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not sure US command really WANTS to catch BeenLeaden.  

please
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm not sure US command really WANTS to catch BeenLeaden..

Yeah.  Why enjoy a huge boost in you poll numbers and ensure you re-election when you can use him as a bogeyman to justify invading innocent countries to build pipelines, right?

Dont be an idiot.  I'm not used to seeing you say stupid things.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Seems to me the US is selling this guy out. He's one of the good guys. The CIA should have put him on the payroll. If they were concerned about being shown up, then they should have made the offer not subject to negotiation.

You are very gullible…

Keith Idema is a convicted fraud (thief) a proven liar, this is not the first time he has made something up out of  the blue to try and save his ass. The CIA wouldn’t touch this lying sack of suds with a 10 mile pole.

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The guy is either a hero or just another bounty hunter. Remember, there is $50 MILLION US on thet guys head(no, not under the rag). The US has a BIG bounty on Osama. And if I were 20 years younger, I may have joined the hunt myself. The hunting of men is the biggest rush you can have.

Once you have hunted another man you have hunted the greatest game alive, and everything else is tame-paraphrase of Hemingway
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You are very gullible…

Thank You!!!!

Finally!

I think a bunch of people on this site need to do some research on this asshole before popping off.

Typical......
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not sure US command really WANTS to catch BeenLeaden.  No doubt they would be really pissed if an independent did the deed.

Personally, I don't care WHO kills the jackass, just so he becomes worm food.

Why do you think that?

Keep people scared before election?  
Most folks aren't scared of terrorism anyhow.

Because they know where he is and are learning from him?
Seems unlikely.

Just curious why you would say that.

It takes away all the mojo if he is caught. No more hype, loss of funding and a sense that the war is over. It dosent matter if its true or not. That will be the general feeling. So I would say YES that they dont really want to catch him if they can keep him on the move and scared shitless.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You are very gullible…

The CIA employes scum MUCH worse than this guy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are very gullible…

The CIA employes scum MUCH worse than this guy.

Maybe.....

But not near often enough.  We need to deal with dirty people to kill dirty people.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are very gullible…

Thank You!!!!

Finally!

I think a bunch of people on this site need to do some research on this asshole before popping off.

Typical......

More often than not he's a windbag. Got that first conviction mentioed up top, and even filed a lawsuit against the studio that distributed that Clooney flick, The Peacemaker. Claiming it was based on his exploits.

Perhaps I'll tag this thread and add an opinion of one of Idema's wanted posters from Afghanistan, that hopefully a PMC will hook me up with.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#23]
"The hunting of men is a rush. . .bla. . .bla. . .bla. . ."  Give me a break.  You need to put down "The Most Dangerous Game" there Rainsford.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#25]
If he were bagged, the less publicity the better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone heard the story about the Americans that were posing as a Special Forces A-team in Afghanistan?  Was this guy involved with them, or is this a completely different group?  The story I heard second-hand is that a group of guys bought all the typical SF gear and, I assume, AR carbines and headed for Afghanistan to hunt Taliban.  Sounds similar, although this article doesn't seem to mention if this guy was conducting tactical operations or just running his own investigation and search for Bin Laden.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:42:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Anyone heard the story about the Americans that were posing as a Special Forces A-team in Afghanistan?  Was this guy involved with them, or is this a completely different group?  The story I heard second-hand is that a group of guys bought all the typical SF gear and, I assume, AR carbines and headed for Afghanistan to hunt Taliban.  Sounds similar, although this article doesn't seem to mention if this guy was conducting tactical operations or just running his own investigation and search for Bin Laden.

Dave

Dave-
I think it's the same guy. Our BDOC here sent out a" WANTED/ARMED AND DANGEROUS" flyer to us about a week before he was caught.  BDOC said that he was telling people in the AO that he was a Major? in the SF.  The flyer had his multiple social security #'s and drivers liscense #'s listed as well as his criminal history.  

Here's the arrest history from the flyer:
- 1982:  New York – Possession of Stolen Property, disposition unknown
- 1986:  New York – Resisting Arrest, disposition unknown    
- 1993:  North Carolina – Arrested by FBI Charlotte for 58 counts of Wire Fraud, Aiding and Abetting, 1 count Conspiracy to Commit Fraud by Wire.  Sentenced to 48 months imprisonment, served 36 months supervised release, $200,000 restitution.
- 1998:  Maryland – Failure to Appear Issued, Bail/Bond Hearing – Released on Bail
- 2004:  North Carolina – Arrested for Impersonating a Peace Officer, Possession of a false identification, disposition unknown/pending

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe the CIA knows where OBL is all the time.Just watching/listening on him and his co-horts to gather as much intel as possible.I know this sounds stupid, OBL is better alive than dead.Killing the messengers is bad too, it kills the LEADS.Private citizens going after OBL may screw things up for the intel groups.My thoughts
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Two things

1. A while back when they raised the bounty from $25 to $50 mil, FOx News had some Generals on debating why. To an Afganny, what's the difference right? The consensus was they thought it was to encourage bounty hunters. It would be an expensive proposition to mount that sort of operation (like a treasure hunt).

2. It could be #1 is all wrong and that we are getting a bead on Osma for the upcoming election and no one wants a rogue screwing that up.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#31]

I used to lurk at Socnetcentral.com, which is a hangout place for Been-there-done-that SF types, and Idema is universally hated over there.  He is considered to have influenced Robin Moore and convinced him that he (Idema) is a real hero, instead of a fraud.  Robin Moore wrote quite a bit about him in 'The Hunt for Bin Laden', and Idema is pictured on the cover.

One SF veteran recounted a story from Afghanistan in which, during an attempted medevac, Idema completely lost is composure on the ground, and panicked, compounding the already significant problems posed by a night helicopter medevac in bad weather.  I may have a few of the details wrong, since it has been a while since I read this stuff, but that is the gist of the story.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#32]
"You wanna find an outlaw, you call an outlaw. You wanna find a Dunkin' Donuts, call a cop fed."

Leonard Smalls (Randy Tex Cobb) Raising Arizona
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Dave-
I think it's the same guy. Our BDOC here sent out a" WANTED/ARMED AND DANGEROUS" flyer to us about a week before he was caught.  BDOC said that he was telling people in the AO that he was a Major? in the SF.  The flyer had his multiple social security #'s and drivers liscense #'s listed as well as his criminal history.

Chris - Thanks for the info - that's pretty interesting.  I heard briefly about the guys being caught on the news but then nothing after the intial report.  Keep your head down up there.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top