Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 10:45:04 AM EDT
There's a Pink Floyd song by this title that I used to crank the stereo up to.  But, a few years ago I really listened to the lyrics and they're pretty disparaging towards soldiers.  I like Pink Floyd's music but I can't put aside what they're promoting with this song.  (They had other less popular songs in the 80's that specifically attacked Reagan and Thatcher.)  Does "Dogs of War" bother anyone else here, especially vets?  

I had the same reaction to Lynard Skynard after I heard Saturday Night Special.

-YJ
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
So here we all go, downloading Dogs of War off the internet.... Hmmmm.... How ironic is that?

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So here we all go, downloading Dogs of War off the internet.... Hmmmm.... How ironic is that?

Some of us still BUY our music.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing to do with the lyrics, but I never liked it anyway.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There's a Pink Floyd song by this title that I used to crank the stereo up to.  But, a few years ago I really listened to the lyrics and they're pretty disparaging towards soldiers.  I like Pink Floyd's music but I can't put aside what they're promoting with this song.  (They had other less popular songs in the 80's that specifically attacked Reagan and Thatcher.)  Does "Dogs of War" bother anyone else here, especially vets?  

-YJ

Well, I don't have the song handy (YET!), but I looked up the lyrics, and I tend to agree. But isn't most of Floyd disparaging in GENERAL? I just listened to a song of theirs that I thought was uplifting ("Coming Back to Life"), and even those lyrics are fairly "down"...

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell, I thought it was about Mercs.  The lyrics fit with the movie "Dogs of War", get paid to do a job, then fuck them in the end.  I like the song and the movie.

The Dogs of War
Dogs of war and men of hate
With no cause, we don't discriminate
Discovery is to be disowned
Our currency is flesh and bone
Hell opened up and put on sale
Gather 'round and haggle
For hard cash, we will lie and deceive
Even our masters don't know the web we weave

One world, it's a battleground
One world, and we will smash it down
One world ... One world

Invisible transfers, long distance calls,
Hollow laughter in marble halls
Steps have been taken, a silent uproar
Has unleashed the dogs of war
You can't stop what has begun
Signed, sealed, they deliver oblivion
We all have a dark side, to say the least
And dealing in death is the nature of the beast

One world ... One world

The dogs of war don't negotiate
The dogs of war won't capitulate,
They will take and you will give,
And you must die so that they may live
You can knock at any door,
But wherever you go, you know they've been there before
Well winners can lose and things can get strained
But whatever you change, you know the dogs remain.

One world ... One world
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
It is about those who perpetrate war; politicians, corporations, dicatators etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Great movie.

But it needs more cowbell.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great movie.

Bastard, you beat me to it!~
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

-YJ

Don’t forget Sting's song " Russians "

Although the prophetic lyrics of that song are a moot point now
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great movie.

Bastard, you beat me to it!~

Al Bundy was in it.

My MOM was in Dogs of War.
The begginning of the movie where they are getting on the DC-3(?) amid a sea of refugees. Mom was the chick that got partially lifted into the plane then put back down.

echo6
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I hadn't bought a music CD for years...but there was this one fairly new song I had heard that sounded cool and every copy I DLed off KaZaA was corrupted, so I said "Why not buy the CD?"
So I bought it...and OF COURSE, that one song is the only good one on the whole CD.  Which is why I don't buy music CDs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is about those who perpetrate war; politicians, corporations, dicatators etc.

+1.  It's not a slam on soldiers at all but rather the military industrial complex.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Wasn't Tom Berringer in that song???

"Are we going to fuck around eating pizza all day, or are we going to start planning this operation??"  -More Cowbell
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
What was that gun Christopher Walken used in the "Dogs of War"?

...or was that the Wild Geese?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Manville tear gas launcher I think.  Arnie used one on the LAPD in Terminator 2 (exiting the building thru lobby to steal SWAT van).  

If I remember correctly in the book "Dogs Of War" the mercs used black market MP40s.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My MOM was in Dogs of War.
The begginning of the movie where they are getting on the DC-3(?) amid a sea of refugees. Mom was the chick that got partially lifted into the plane then put back down.

echo6

Some of the people here are wayyyy too young. Or the rest of us are getting wayyyy too old.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Manville tear gas launcher I think.  Arnie used one on the LAPD in Terminator 2 (exiting the building thru lobby to steal SWAT van).  

If I remember correctly in the book "Dogs Of War" the mercs used black market MP40s.

Your memory is good and you read the book.  BTW, the authour of the book was put up on charges by the UK for treason since they claimed he betrayed classified secrets even though the names were changed to protect the innocent/quilty.

Tj

It's been some ~20 years since I read the book.  Saw the movie first though.
Did they convict the author?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Of a lessor offense, yes he was convicted.  The rumour at the time was that the book was a tad to close to Uganda and how Amin came to power.

Tj

That is so wrong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor misguided souls.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor misguided souls.  

"Dear Dixie Chicks,

In response to your attack on President Bush I REFUSE to download any more your songs off of Kaaza-Lite, and will REMOVE all the songs I have already downloaded on my hard drive and Muvo MP3 player.  

Take THAT!"

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
[Poor misguided souls.  

I would call it honesty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#29]
No Way-they used Uzi's in the movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top