Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 9:58:05 AM EDT
They go on to the semifinals, and are now in the running for a medal.  From an Iraqi blog

Saturday, August 21, 2004

Hurray!
Iraqi football team won against Australia 1-0 to reach the semifinal for the first time in Iraq's history. Now we are going to play for a medal! Iraq has one medal only in her Olypic record; a bronze one that we won in weight-lifting back in 1960.

This is the *BEST* acheivment Iraq has ever acheived in soccer. Strange isn't it!? Not to me! I really expected that despite the difficult life in Iraq that our athletes were going to perform better than ever, and I believe it's the effect of freedom.

Right now there is lots of shooting into the air (I don't like it but at least Iraqis are happy and it's better to waste bullets this way).

I know some of our American friends are upset with the Iraqi team because of the latest comments of some players, but this is Iraq, not 1 or 2 players and the player who said these terrible words didn't even play! I wish you could forget that idiot and join us in our celebrations, as the truth must be said, it's a victory that you helped in in so many ways.

iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/

Damn right we helped you. The poison pill of their players' ingratitude towards the US sullies what would normally be complete joy at the Iraqi team's victories.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Freedom's a scary thing.  The players are probably still afraid of criticising Uday.....but not Bush.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for them! What are they 5-3 now? last I saw they were 4-2 but a buddy told me they lost another game a day or two ago. I hope they get a medal. It's something posative for Iraq, something to be proud of.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#5]
You know, I was about to say that's great. After reading the article and the comments, I won't.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, one or two guys mouthing off . . . fuck em.  The rest of the team - way to go!  Doing better than our team.  And at least they now have (thanks to us) the right to say what they think.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It pisses me off  that some of the players are ungrateful.  But.....many in countries like Iraq live and breathe soccer.  If they medal it will reflect in a positive mood in the country, which couldn't hurt things over there.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What's up with that Iraqi boxer?  Anybody know?  He seemed to be very greatful toward the U.S.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The guys mouthing off are from Fallujah and Najaf - Saddam loyalist strongholds if I understand correctly. We should have just exterminated both cities.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What's up with that Iraqi boxer?  Anybody know?  He seemed to be very greatful toward the U.S.

Saw something about him the other day.

Apparently an american contractor (exterminator/pest control or something) and former boxer went over to help with the reconstruction, and got the coalition to set a boxing school up.

link here
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If the Iraqi soccer team members say something like that again. Make 'em put any medals they won up for grabs in a game vs the US Women's soccer team.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Odds are good we will only here about athletes with negative things to say - Sports Illustrated has been very much against the war from the beginning.

What I can't figure is how American gun owners can be so easily pursuaded my media bias.  We should be fully aware of how full of shit the press is - but we only seem to recognize it about gun issues.  Too many Americans are all too willing to believe anything negative they hear, and will gladly take to heart the words of two athletes - out of a whole team (and they aren't even starters) - talk shit about the WHOLE TEAM and COUNTRY in response, in order to alienate the rest of the team and help fulfill the media anti-Iraq agenda.  Useful idiots, the lot.

Go Iraq!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Ironic thing about them beating Australia today...the Royal Australian Air Force provided their flight to the Olympics.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Having served in Iraq during OIF, I am thrilled to see the Iraqi team win and be in the medal round.  When I first heard about that knucklehead spouting off, it pissed me off, but he is entitled to express his own opinion.  He wouldn't have been able to do that 2 years ago.  Go Iraq!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ironic thing about them beating Australia today...the Royal Australian Air Force provided their flight to the Olympics.

Our country sucks at soccer.  I didnt know who to root for so I just went Aussie but I dont mind that the Iraqis won.  I hope they win a medal.  Good on em!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our country sucks at soccer.  

at least you qualified
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our country sucks at soccer.  I didnt know who to root for

Ya root sheilas mate, not blokes' sports teams!  Care to translate?  Good on ya!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our country sucks at soccer.  I didnt know who to root for

Ya root sheilas mate, not blokes' sports teams!  Care to translate?  Good on ya!

Root=cheer, support, go for.

We like to root for the underdog, which means go for the one who is expected to lose
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Did they change the meaning of the verb "root" in Australia?  I thought it was slang for shag.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did they change the meaning of the verb "root" in Australia?  I thought it was slang for shag.

It has multiple meanings.

Shag, support, thing which plants have which goes into ground.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I just wish they had beeten France for it, not Australia
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top