Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 9:30:23 AM EDT
After Sept. 13th, what is going to happen to all the Post-Ban rifles out there??  I'm talking about all of these abortion-looking things with bare muzzles and pinned-in-place stocks.  Are dealers going to sell them for big discounts??  Because nobody in their right mind will want to touch one of these abortions when they will be able to get the real thing with all the goodies.  I have to laugh when I see people still trying to sell their post-bans for $800-$900, and the other folks trying to sell their pre-bans for $1500-$2000!!!  What a  joke!!  It could become a buyer's market as dealers try to liquidate their stocks of post-bans in anticipation of  arrival of the new generation of post-AWB guns.  Any ideas??  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Any ideas??  

Buy a rifle on the cheap when it all goes down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
They will sell just fine in NJ.. We have our own state ban that won't be sunsetting.  The only good thing about Sept. for us is 15rnd handgun mags and (hopefully) a price drop on the postbans.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Me personally I see it going a little like this:

The price of current post bans will drop conciderably in an effort to unload them. (in places without state bans that is)
The price of after market parts (flash supressors, folding stocks, getting barrels threaded, etc.) will all go up as everyone (myself included) can finally go out and put the evil features on.

Current pre bans...I think everyone agrees prices will fall on those. The only questions are how much will it fall and how fast.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, there's absolutely no value in a rifle without a FS.  None at all.  Can't imagine why anyone would want one.

Nope, not me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The "pinned" telescoping stocks could always be 'unpinned'.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They will sell just fine in NJ.. We have our own state ban that won't be sunsetting.

Same here in MA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#8]
the market for add on accessories like folding stocks, flash hiders, etc. will go up, people with post ban rifles will try to make them look normal again. uppers with evil features will have a higher demand when people convert the rifles.

the value of complete post ban rifles will go down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]

What's going to happen to all the Post-Ban Rifles that haven't been sold yet??

They will become EVIL just like the pre-ban rifles have been
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I think some of them will turn into pumpkins prebans at the stroke of midnight after sunday 091204.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#11]

What's going to happen to all the Post-Ban Rifles that haven't been sold yet??

My g/f is convinced they will end up in the living room of our house!

There are a few folks that are AR fans that have silly state AWBs.  I am more than happy to take your crowned barrled-uppers and pre-94 lowers...    
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not the one that came with my Bushy M4gery.  It had a full rifle length buffer tube that ran the entire length of the stock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's too hard to put a bayonett lug and flash suppressor on, they'll probably get melted down.

I don't really see the big deal. Threading the barrel is going to be the only selling point. I rarely use my bayonett anymore and there were always fixed stock rifles. I don't even mind a fixed in-place CAR stock as the only time it sees use other than fully extended is when it's sitting in the safe - saves me a few inches of room.

Sorry I'm not that excited. I do plan on treading a few of my barrels but that's it. I have eight uppers (I think) and might do couple of them with flash suppressors.

How tall are you?  I'm 6'1" and I prefer my Vltor about half extended to get in a good "nose to charging handle" position.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I smelled a rat when all the SAR-1's, etc disappeared all of a sudden. I figured you would see a lot of LEO/Govt stuff out there especially with FFL's, but I figure right now Colt, Bushmaster Armalite have their factories on overtime in anticipation to tool the preban look. Dealers are out to make money, bottom line, ban or no ban.  Awww, maybe I am thinking out loud?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's too hard to put a bayonett lug and flash suppressor on, they'll probably get melted down.

I don't really see the big deal. Threading the barrel is going to be the only selling point. I rarely use my bayonett anymore and there were always fixed stock rifles. I don't even mind a fixed in-place CAR stock as the only time it sees use other than fully extended is when it's sitting in the safe - saves me a few inches of room.

Sorry I'm not that excited. I do plan on treading a few of my barrels but that's it. I have eight uppers (I think) and might do couple of them with flash suppressors.

How tall are you?  I'm 6'1" and I prefer my Vltor about half extended to get in a good "nose to charging handle" position.

And I like being able to adjust LOP for winter gear up here in chedderland.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I looked ahead when I built mine. I bought a post ban RRA lower assy, removed the pistol grip, bought a Gogogadgets.net vertical grip and put on my pre-ban RRA upper on it. (first I dremelled off the bayo lug and added a modified Vortex)) If the ban sunsets , all I have to do is to remove the vertical grip and add the Ergo one. No threading of barrels necessary.
Im sure the post ban rifles will sell, and customers that want FH's will have them threaded or put them on with set screws.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#18]
they'll be sold to
A) places with their own AWB
B) people in free states who don't care about the features
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]
They will be pawned off on people who just want an evil black rifle- regardless neutered or not.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
they'll be sold to
A) places with their own AWB
B) people in free states who don't care about the features

That just about sums it up.   Us CT folk will still buy em if the price is right.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Re-barrel the rifle and put it back on the market is another option.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't think the dealers will be worrying about their AR's and AK's so much as all those full-size pistols they will have sitting around with neutered mags. Who's going to want a Glock 17 with 10 round magazines anymore?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I figure initially they will say that demand is high for the  "look" so for the first six months the new rifles will be at least $150. above normal new prices plus discounting post rifles at least $150. maybe more there will be a market at this price -$300. or more and do it yourself people who have been itching to do a barrel swap to create there own  'style' will snap 'em up !!Couple this with states who will still require post ban look and some sales gimmicks and waalaah ! !
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Some time after the ban, i'll be selling all my like new G17 & G23 10 round mags for $10-12 each.
The "Cop Shop" down the street from me advised me they'll be selling "LEO ONLY" Glock mags for $21.50 each come 9-13-04. Same goes with their LEO Bushmasters.

I think stocking up on Glock mags is a good idea. We'll be talking by the hundred.
I'll be in good shape for future bans if Kerry somehow wins.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I don't think the dealers will be worrying about their AR's and AK's so much as all those full-size pistols they will have sitting around with neutered mags. Who's going to want a Glock 17 with 10 round magazines anymore?

Some poor sap in Hawaii.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I think some enterprising young person with machine shop experience will offer a deal on turning the barrel down to .500, threading it to 1/2"X28 and installing a flash hider or muzzle brake or what ever they call them.  He might even weld a bayonet lug on it.  If you're barrel is already turned down, you can get a threading die and a thread alignment tool from Brownells and a few other places.  If I could figure out a way to make a simple set up to evenly file the barrel down to the correct diameter I'd probably put it out on the net.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If YOU were a dealer or distributor with tons of "post ban" rifles sitting around, what would you do?

It might be feasible to have flash hiders installed on them.  Then you could sell them for a small discount "just missing the bayo lug" (like anybody uses it).  The other choice would be to switch barrels with bayo lugged, threaded barrels and maybe exchange the barrels with the manufacturer, or if you are the manufacturer just process all the barrels and put new front sight bases on and thread the barrels.

On the other hand, how much of a discount are they going to be able to offer to move the rifles?  After waiting all this time, I sure as heck don't want to buy a neutered rifle.  Half price might work, then I could afford to get a new Bushy barrel and switch it out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
After Sept. 13th, what is going to happen to all the Post-Ban rifles out there??  I'm talking about all of these abortion-looking things with bare muzzles

Actually, loosing the flash-suppressor (abortion-looking, in your words) is a great way to improve accuracy.  Just take a look at a target model.  The others have a pinned compensator.  The non-folding stock is a personal decision, and plenty of folks prefer fixed stocks.  Some companies (Armalite comes to mind) offered to remove pinned comps and replace them for free after the ban.

Bottom line is that there will still be knowledgeable buyers that want one.  But if there are too many in inventory, expect discounts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The price on post bans has already dropped. I saw an M4 Bushmaster POST BAN going for $809 this morning NIB at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix . A happy customer happily waltzed out with one. Regular 16" A2 was $729. I think there are some bargins out there and will be even more in a few weeks.

But I'm building a tricked out CAR15 with all the evil features on it soon !!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I picked up a NIB bushmaster a2 16 inch shorty for 600.00 out the door a week ago never looked back
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Not mine. The bastard that I bought it from put epoxy along the tube underneath the stock and in the hinges of the locking mechanism.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Not mine. The bastard that I bought it from put epoxy along the tube underneath the stock and in the hinges of the locking mechanism.

If it's just plain old epoxy, use a heat gun to soften it up and then try to pick it out. Might be worth a shot - worse comes to worse, you have to buy a new stock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#34]
You guys can say whatever you want.  But on Sept. 13th, I'll bet that if some dude walks into a gun shop and sees a 16" Bushy lightweight with a naked barrel and a pinned M-4 stock sitting next to a 16" lightweight LEO / GOVT.-marked Bushy and both are $899,  he's going to take the LEO model.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
After Sept. 13th, what is going to happen to all the Post-Ban rifles out there??  I'm talking about all of these abortion-looking things with bare muzzles and pinned-in-place stocks. <><>snip<><>  Any ideas??  

I am going to get a couple of the 16" bare muzzle uppers since they fit perfectly down in a Sears 26" tool box whereas a 16" with a FS won't. I'll gladly accept any price drop for my specific requirement of fitting inside of that tool box.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#36]
The price of postbans will be hiked by pawn shop owners, gun store proprieters, and gun show vendors all over the country. They will be "collectors items".
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I don't really see the big deal. Threading the barrel is going to be the only selling point. I rarely use my bayonett anymore and there were always fixed stock rifles.

I don't even mind a fixed in-place CAR stock as the only time it sees use other than fully extended is when it's sitting in the safe - saves me a few inches of room.

or in the trunk of my car!

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Probably they will try and purpetuate the 2 lies being told over and over about the AWB expiration.

1) If it was made during the ban it has to be in "post ban" config.

2) A new ban will only grandfather pre 94 guns.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Probably they will try and purpetuate the 2 lies being told over and over about the AWB expiration.

1) If it was made during the ban it has to be in "post ban" config.

2) A new ban will only grandfather pre 94 guns.

I sincerely hope those 2 points are indeed "lies". I don't trust ATF when they don't get their way. They love to issue "rulings".....
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:29:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
[
I sincerely hope those 2 points are indeed "lies". I don't trust ATF when they don't get their way. They love to issue "rulings".....

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My g/f is convinced they will end up in the living room of our house!

AR versions I don't think will become that cheap. If I have the choice of buying a pre 9/13 for $100 less, I probably would. Especially if it is a varmint upper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Prices won't change one bit.

Why?????

Because the vast majority of gun buyers have no clue about the AWB and it's sunset means. Hell the majority of dealers don't know either. Two months ago I was at a shop I don't normally frequent. They had a Bushy M4 post ban A3 on the wall. Since I've not ever molested that particular model before, I asked to see it. Sensing a possible sale, the guy starts pointing out the salient features of the rifle. He touches the mini Y comp and calls it a flash hider, then tries to collapse the fixed stock. I told him about the AWB and how it impacted features on AR-15s, he was surprised. He thought it was only about handgun magazines.

This wasn't some hole in the wall pawn shop.

Nope no change in price....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top