Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 7:29:24 AM EDT
I was watching H201 on OLN and the host was in Canada hunting. He passed up a few bucks until he found the one he wanted. After the kill, he walks up to the deer and says, this deer has no teeth in its mouth so its the perfect buck.

Why is that? What does having no teeth make it the perfect buck? Is it age?

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this stuff. Im learnin.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Without teeth the deer would not be able to eat and therefore not survive. The hunter put the deer out of an extended, miserable death by starvation.

AKASL
LIVE FREE OR DIE
WHITE MOUNTAINS
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
if the deer had no teeth it couldn't eat.  

This is what confused me because that is what I thought. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He's FOS--if the deer had no teeth it couldn't eat.  

Why do they let stuff like that on TV??  Deer's back teeth (they have just a few in the very front for biting twigs/browse off, and then heavy "chewing teeth" in the back, as any ruminant does.  A deer's age can be estimated by observing the presence (when young) of certain teeth, then later, the wear on the chewing surfaces.  Deer die before the teeth are worn down to the gum.  ANY deer with "no teeth" would die.  Silly dumbass on TV.  

Edit:  Check this:  www.kerrlake.com/deer/teeth.htm

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe he wanted to get a gummer before he field dressed it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if the deer had no teeth it couldn't eat.  

This is what confused me because that is what I thought. Hmmm.

See, you're a better hunter than that idiot on TV.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe he wanted to get a gummer before he field dressed it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BeeKeeper... Thanks! I think this is what the host was TRYING to say because the deer was guessed at approximately eight years old. BUT he should have CLARIFIED that there were HARDLY any teeth than no teeth. This link you sent makes more sense.

Now I can see how you can guess the age by the wear on the molars...

...And to think all this time, to guess the age of a deer, I thought you cut off the leg and count the rings
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#10]
They don't have top front teeth.  Not quite sure why it evolved that way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
He's FOS--if the deer had no teeth it couldn't eat.  

Why do they let stuff like that on TV??  Deer's back teeth (they have just a few in the very front for biting twigs/browse off, and then heavy "chewing teeth" in the back, as any ruminant does.  A deer's age can be estimated by observing the presence (when young) of certain teeth, then later, the wear on the chewing surfaces.  Deer die before the teeth are worn down to the gum.  ANY deer with "no teeth" would die. Silly dumbass on TV.  

+1

There are 1 or 2 'hunting shows' I can stand to watch.....adventure-bound outdoors, and jay gregory's 'the wild outdoors'.

The rest....or maybe all of them...are infected with personalities that know as much about biology as I know about dentistry.....sure, I have teeth, and use them often, and even brush them on occassion...but you get the idea.

Knowing how to smile for the camera does NOT make you a biologist.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As indicated on the site linked above, it is impossible to accurately age a deer beyond 4 1/2 years.  In the far north it is especially difficult as the deer there have a longer cold season, with resultant consumption of more browse (small tree branches) as opposed to green stuff like clover--which wears the teeth faster than deer in more southern climes.  If he just looked in the deer's mouth (didn't cut the jaw skin flap) and declared it to be 8 1/2 y/o, then he was just trying to pass himself off as "Joe Hunter The Uber-knowledgeable".  

If you want to see a real deer-killin' mofo who is the real deal, get a video by Dan Fitzgerald.  He's ugly, wears coke bottle glasses, and is a deer killing machine.  HIGHLY recommended if you want to see how it's really done.  He's a deer killing fool, but is not likely to be featured on TV.  Any of his videos are great, but I especially liked "Fight For The Right" as it features a strong pro-hunting message.  

I haven't seen Dan on tv in ages...I loved him. A good man, hunting with his family, no drinking, cussing, making light of the animals, etc, etc.

It was very obvious to those who watched his shows that him and his family were having good, clean fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top