Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 4:44:45 AM EDT

Trial and when found guilty, a .45 to the back of the head in a public execution.  Dump the body somewhere the birds can get it.  Hey, they've got to eat too, right?

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gate/archive/2004/08/20/vandeath20.DTL

2-year-old boy dies in locked van; mother arrested

Bay City News
Friday, August 20, 2004

A 2-year-old boy died of heat exhaustion in Healdsburg on Thursday after his allegedly intoxicated mother left him and his 4-year-old brother in a locked van in 90-degree heat for about eight hours, police said.

The mother of Liam Paulsen, 35-year-old Rena Corban, apparently began drinking in the morning and passed out on a couch when she returned home around 10 a.m. after running errands with the children, according to Healdsburg police Sgt. Toni Pinochi.

Corban, who was reprimanded by authorities for leaving her child alone in a car before, is currently being held without bond on suspicion of murder in Sonoma County jail. Pinochi said a child endangerment charge is also pending.

The father, 39-year-old Justin Paulsen, found the children in the van when he returned around 6 p.m. from his job at a local winery to the family's home at 209 Hummingbird Court, police said.

Police said the father was hysterical when he was questioned at Healdsburg General Hospital.

Liam was found in a car seat in the back of the four-door Toyota van and 4-year-old Jaden Paulsen was found lying naked on the floorboards near the front seat, Pinochi said.

Jaden was treated at the scene and released to a grandmother. He remains with his father at a neighbor's house and both will be interviewed after an autopsy on Liam is completed today, authorities said.

Pinochi said arriving officers found Justin Paulsen administering CPR on his younger son. Liam was pronounced dead while en route to Healdsburg Hospital.

Pinochi said the high temperature in Healdsburg on Thursday was 92 degrees. A bush near the driveway where the van was parked provided little or no shade but police will conduct tests for "a shade factor,'' Pinochi said. WTF is this all about?  Some sort of "exonerating circumstance"?

The van had child safety locks on the sliding side doors and the handles on the two front doors were difficult to find. None of the windows in the van had been cracked open, Pinochi said, and the van's hatchback was locked.

Corban told investigators she "partially" remembers going around town with the children but said that she "blacked out" on the living room couch when she returned home, Pinochi said. There were small amounts of alcohol in the home, Pinochi said.

"There's no indication she was drinking when she returned home," Pinochi said.

Corban began drinking at home at 8 a.m. and continued drinking in the car, Pinochi said. Police found wine bottles in the van, he said. The results of toxicology tests are pending.

Corban allegedly left Liam alone in her vehicle at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds for 20 minutes when the boy was 18 months old. A passerby called police and Corban was reprimanded, Pinochi said.

An information report was filed with Child Protective Services, Pinochi said, but Corban was not cited by police.

Corban's arraignment is scheduled for Monday.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
After reading the first sentence, it was enough for me. I've got two little munchkins running around the house and I don't need to read that sh*t right now.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]

WTF is wrong with people.  Give them a rifle and send them to IRAQ to guard some oil wells or something.

At least the little boy is with GOD now, someone who know how to care for him.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Pine tar heaven baby
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I cannot understand how something like this can continue to occur. I mean even the braindead have tv's. As many times as we have seen this shit, you'd think people would learn.  It makes you wonder what planet these people are on.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
This happens 2-3 times every year in the Dallas area.  People don't take parenting seriously as they used to.  To many of them treat their children like a pack of dogs that hang around the house.  I hope that little kid is resting in the arms of Jesus and has no memory of his last painful hours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Our neighbor ran a daycare out of her home when I was a kid.  One day she had to run to the bank and took all of her charges with her.  They got back, and she left a 4 year old little girl who fell asleep in the van.  They found her dead several hours later.    

Remember the Alamo and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry a fist and cell phone for just this reason. If I EVER see a kid locked in the car in a parking lot, its fist through the window and call the cops. Get the kid some air, get him out of the car and get the cops there. And if the mom/dad comes out between the busted window and police showing up, well, I still got another fist that'll be more the happy to oblige the angry parent.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I pray I never have to work one of those...

What a horrible death...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I carry a fist and cell phone for just this reason. If I EVER see a kid locked in the car in a parking lot, its fist through the window and call the cops. Get the kid some air, get him out of the car and get the cops there. And if the mom/dad comes out between the busted window and police showing up, well, I still got another fist that'll be more the happy to oblige the angry parent.....

Last month in the parking lot of the Frisco/Plano Wal-Mart on 121, some asshat woman left her kid in the car while she went shopping.  The windows were cracked, but the kid was soaked in sweat.  They actually announced on the store intercom that there was a kid in a car alone in the store while I was checking out, so I went looking for him while my wife paid.  I got there about the same time as his mom did, and she got a royal ass chewing and they threatened to call the cops on her.  She promptly packed up and left.  The kid was probably 6-7 years old, but no one should be left out in a vehicle in the noon-day sun like that.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]
What a DUMB BITCH.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I DON'T EVEN LEAVE MY 11 Y.O. DAUGHTER ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
For God's sake, kill that bitch right there and then.  There is no defense, no excuse, no "shade factor".  She needs to put to an end right where she stands.  Preferably after being locked in a fucking oven for 8 hours.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Handcuff and shackle the worthless cunt, lock her in the trunk of a car and leave her out in the desert on the hottest day of the year.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#16]
My personal rule for finding a child alone in a vehicle is to phone police, bust out the window furthest from the child, and wait for authorities to arrive.  

It kills me to see parents with such little regard for their children.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I DON'T EVEN LEAVE MY 11 Y.O. DAUGHTER ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SGatr15

No SH*T.  Not only is the heat dangerous to the little ones but you might as well ring the dinner bell leaving a young kid alone in a vehicle.  We've got a young (19yrs) woman who went missing around here a few months ago (Who'll probably be stumbled over by hunters this season) and when they ran a check of REGISTERED sex offenders within a 5 mile radius they came up with 600! Now, I'll admit that the town she went missing from happens to be something of an "Enclave" for mental-health community placements (Among a few others up and down the I-5 corridor) but it scares the hell out of me to think of some of the people we turned-out from the institutions around here the last 10-15 years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#18]
she shold be shot  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn’t need to read this thread!!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#20]
The memphis, TN area seems to have this happen pretty regularly.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Mom in tears here. I can't fathom what the hell someone could be thinking when drinking is more important than her children.
Can't even begin to describe what I would love to do with her.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
At least the little boy is with GOD now, someone who know how to care for him.

<Tears>
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Sometime ago at work a lady left her windows rolled up and left her dog in the car while she went in to eat at Taco bueno. WE called the police and they came and just walked around the car. I didn't know what they were doing, but it caught the attention of the owner and she came out and chatted with the police, and in the end she rolled down her windows.

Ben

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]
She should be locked in an oven.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Heinous.
And Idiocy is in the family genes, no doubt - what 4yr-old can't figure their way out of a locked car??
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Handcuff and shackle the worthless cunt, lock her in the trunk of a car and leave her out in the desert on the hottest day of the year.

Sounds fair to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Rope.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You will break your hand.  I carry a fire hatchet (I am a firefighter) for this very reason.
Get a spring loaded center punch ($5) and put it in your glove box.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I carry a fist ASP and cell phone for just this reason. If I EVER see a kid locked in the car in a parking lot, its fist through the window and call the cops. Get the kid some air, get him out of the car and get the cops there. And if the mom/dad comes out between the busted window and police showing up, well, I still got another fist an ASP that'll be more the happy to oblige the angry parent.....

No need to injure yourself.......the "parent" is another story though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Leave her out in the desert....

chained up.

- BUCC_Guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top