Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 4:40:51 AM EDT
My birthday is coming, and I'm thinking about some new PC games. I have Doom 3 now, but I'm looking for some other 1st person shooter games. What are the reccommendations? I've heard good stuff about Deus Ex, what else do you guys like?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:41:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The FIRST Deux Ex is an awesome and well-made game.  The second is a stinky pile of crap.  

You should get UT2004, not just for the game itself, but also for all of the mod support that it has.  There are mods that change it into a top-down view alien shooter.  One of my favorite mods is Air Buccaneers.  It changes everything into a medival time with hot air balloons, and you float around shooting cannonballs at each other with your team.  Another one that's lots of fun and good for laughs is Clone Bandits.  It's like CTF but with Clone jars instead of flags.  When you respawn you use a clone and you have to capture clones from the other team.  Great new vehicles in this one, the best being the Moscowboy.  It's basically an old Russian ICBM with wheels and motorcycle handlebars.  When you activate the booster it takes off and counts from five to one in Russian, then KABOOM. Fun stuff.

Alien Swarm link
www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/

Air Buccaneers link
ludocraft.oulu.fi/airbuccaneers/

Clone Bandits link
www.demiurgestudios.com/CloneBandits/gameplay_over.htm
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Joint Ops
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My birthday is coming, and I'm thinking about some new PC games. I have Doom 3 now, but I'm looking for some other 1st person shooter games. What are the reccommendations? I've heard good stuff about Deus Ex, what else do you guys like?
Thanks

Battlefield 1942 is a must-have, if you don't have it already.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Half Life. That game set the standard when it came out, and held it for a very, very long time. Plus all the HL mods (Counter Strike, Day of Defeat and a ton of others)

Aliens vs Predators. Another excellent game, I love the Predator. Marine is frickin hard and scary.

System Shock 2. An OLDIE but a goodie.

Battlefield 1942

Americas Army (free for download). Good game but damn I hate Basic Training.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Battlefield Vietnam (better than Battlefield 1942)

edited to add: download the WWII mod from the BFV website. It was just released and it contains the some of old BF1942 maps on the new BFV engine. Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I play R6-3 Raven Sheild and Ghost Recon.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Far Cry rocks.  Also you cannot go wrong with call of duty.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's another vote for Aliens vs Predator 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004. I haven't tried Farcry yet, but I hear it's a great game. Don't forget, Half Life 2 comes out Sep. 4th  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#11]
"Operation Flashpoint" by codemasters. Was game of the year a couple of years ago. The best first person shooter i've run across. Use any weapon or vehicle you find. Need to take out a few bad guys?, use your weapon or search for an enemy airbase and steal a fully loaded Hind, and level everything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Operation Flashpoint absolutely rocks.  At least download the demo.  It is such an awesome game.  However, the learning curve is much slower than games like Delta Force and Quake.

Also, America's Army!  It's FREE, but you need a high-speed connection since the file is about 750 mb.  It is the best military FPS I have ever played.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

BLASPHEMY!!!

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think I know how to skip basic training, and every other training part.  Not sure if I should let out the secret or not though.

EDITED:  Actually, maybe it doesn't work.  NM
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BLASPHEMY!!!

BF Vietnam has WWII MOD to allow play on a few of the "old" BF1942 maps using the BF Vietnam engine. DL on the official EA website.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BLASPHEMY!!!

BF Vietnam has WWII MOD to allow play on a few of the "old" BF1942 maps using the BF Vietnam engine. DL on the official EA website.

wait for BF2
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#17]

You can try BF 1942 before you buy with the free demo:
www.fileplanet.com/search.aspx?q=1942

If you get BF 1942 be sure to download the Desert Combat mod for some nice M1 Abrams tanks, Bradleys, and a cool A-10 Worthog to fly around in  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#18]
CALL OF DUTY!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I know how to skip basic training, and every other training part.  Not sure if I should let out the secret or not though.

EDITED:  Actually, maybe it doesn't work.  NM

I quit trying when I could not figure out how to sit down in a chair in Airborne school and got kicked out. Actually having been to the actual, I don't remember any classrooms or chairs like they have in the game. I guess the sitting down in the chair replicates a week in the pit for geeky game world nerds
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#20]
 Get Rainbow Six 3(if you like guns- you'll go nuts), HALO, BF 1942 and get the free the desert combat download.  Download America's Army, it is free and is quite good.  Also try Comand and Conquer Generals - you can buy this game and the zero hour expansion pack in one package. Last, but not least - get Call of Duty.  You may also like the Medal of Honor Games.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Also try Ghost Recon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#22]
If your'e looking for an FPS that is on a bit grander of a scale than BF1942 and others take a look at Planetside.  Be sure an watch the video there.  Click the banner "The Bending" to play.  Gives you an idea of the scope of the game.

It's a $13.00 monthly charge, but there is a free 30 day TRIAL.  I believe you need to provide a credit card even with the trial.  I've been playing it for over a year now and get WAY more than .43cents per days worth out of it.

If you really like it, be sure to check out the gaming group I belong to, Sturmgrenadier.  We play for the New Conglomerate, the blue and gold guys.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Battlefield 1942 is a must-have, if you don't have it already.

Battlefield Vietnam is great too.  They have era specific M16's and CAR's, as well as a sweet M60.
A modern warfare game from EA is due out this fall as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Ghost Recon II get realeased in another couple months. Its the only one im looking forward to since I dominated the first one and all of its expansions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Guys,
I've been intersted in the Battlefield series for a while now but I thought they were third person shooter not first person. Can anyone confirm that the Battlefield 1942/Vietnam series are in fact first person shooters?

Thanks!
Sandman
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#26]
BF1942/Vietnam are in fact first person shooters.

Oh yes, Codemasters is supposed to be working on Operation Flashpoint 2..but haven't released much info beyond that.  Also, Battlefield 2 looks exceptional.  Looks like what Team Fortress 2 was supposed to be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Anything multiplayer.  HalfLife 2 should be good.  You will almost always be able to beat the PC pseudo-AI in short order, so matching against other human intelligences is the only way to keep it interesting.

Americas Army is good.  The new USMC game is supposed to be good too.  Both FREE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top