BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:55:24 PM EDT
Worth it??? Pros and cons?

ViCAP
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
yep, as long as you watch (cough burn cough) and return them quickly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.

Been using it for a couple of years.  I average about 10 DVDs a month, so my $23 (current rate with tax) is costing me $2.30 per rental.  My local Blockbuster charged about twice that with tax, and I had to spend my gas to get there.

It is easy as pie to select your disks and just swap them back and forth in the mail.  If you send yours back on a Monday, they generally get back to them on Tuesday, which is new release day.  Then you will be the first in line to get the new releases.

The only downside I've seen is that multi-disk rentals count as more than one toward your limit.  So a two disk set is two rentals.  But most of the multi-disk rentals are not worth it, unless you are really into trivial stuff.

Several hundred rented without a hitch, and I've only had exactly TWO movies that I couldn't get the day I wanted them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
only had one sent that i didn't order out of 100 so far.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So...say you wanted a 7 disc set of one of the X-Files seasons. Do you only get the first 3 in the set?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Have been using them for a couple of years.
I highly recommend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Side note.  Office depot has a 2 for one  blank dvd special running.  Just make sure that you only archive the movies that you own.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The Lady I live with uses it and has a constant stream of DVD's coming and going.

Seems pretty decent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been using them for years and years now.  I am on the 8 DvD's at any time plan.
If you live close to one of their shipment centers thy get you new movies very quickly.
Only down side with them is the more movies you rent the lower you are on the priority scale.  If you received 25 DVD’s last month you will more then likely not receive new releases the day they come out.  But it is no worse then trying to rent a new release at blockbuster they never had them in stock for me either.  But have a bunch of movies all the time is lost better then paying $100 for cable every month.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I like it. We go through about 15 movies a month...  and I like the fact that I can keep the movies that I truly enjoy for as long as I want.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Cockbuster just started up their on-line mail deliver service.
beta.blockbuster.com/homepages/displaySubscriptionOffer.action

I'll stick with Netflix.
41 movies this period.
It's hard to "watch" that many movies.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#16]
blockluster's on-line rental blows! half the discs they sent were cracked and it took 2-3 days for delivery....Also alotta of the good movies are on a waiting list that takes months.

Netflix has their s*** together..

Awesome selection and great turn around time. (Mailed the discs on Monday at noon...got the next batch wednesday afternoon.)

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought it was stupid until my brother got me a "subscription" for xmas last year.  I kept it up and like it now.  Only problem is it's $23/month regardless.  I've been working (and going out) alot lately so I haven't been watching shit.  I may bag the Netflix thing and just go back to buying the damn dvds.

I'd say if you watch 10+ movies a month it's worth it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#18]
We have been using it for about 5 months, and are pretty satisfied, their selection is huge.

We are canceling dish network all together.

Lately though it seem like it is taking an extra day for the turn around........
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 for the good experience.  Great selection of movies too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I sign up for netflix every summer for the last 3 years and cancel in the fall.   I've found that I have very little time to watch movies during the school year, with all my kids activities.  It is a little easier to sit down and watch movies in the summer.   Now that my oldest is in college studying film and video production, he orders most of them when home for the summer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I also like it.  We have been using them for the past 3 years or so.  At first they we an "OK" company.  Now I dont know what iI would do with out them.  

I really like the fact that there is NO late fees.  We would forget to take them back to the rental stores and get reamed on late fees.

I say try it and see if you like it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I took advantage of their "free" trail offer.  Got the first three, two of which were so badly damaged I couldn't watch them.  Returned them and logged on the website and canceled my account.  They still charged my CC for a month's membership.  I protested the charge with AMEX.  

Blockbuster offers a similar deal for a couple bucks more, I don't have to wait three days for the mailman and their selection is better.

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Netflix is great. I get 5 movies a week.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yep, I "time-shift" mine onto the hard drive, send them back immediately, and then watch them at my leisure.  I can get 25/month (I pay about $36 with tax).
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I took advantage of their "free" trail offer.  Got the first three, two of which were so badly damaged I couldn't watch them.  Returned them and logged on the website and canceled my account.  They still charged my CC for a month's membership.  I protested the charge with AMEX.  

Blockbuster offers a similar deal for a couple bucks more, I don't have to wait three days for the mailman and their selection is better.

Eddie

Thats to bad, It really is a great company.  

I had one arrive broken.  Logged on the web site and I had a new movie the next day!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Love Netflix™.
We watch most of ours on the weekend so the the 2-3 day turnaround is not a problem. They have a hub 2 hours away and more are popping up.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#28]
We have been using it for about 5 months, and are pretty satisfied, their selection is huge.

We are canceling dish network all together.

Lately though it seem like it is taking an extra day for the turn around........

You want to sell your dish network reciever ?????
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Gameznflix is also a good place.  Just like Netflix but they also do games.  They have a military discount plan also.

www.gameznflix.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top