Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 4:02:45 PM EDT
I need some help from the arfcom hive brain;  I have a buddy who's been given some firearms by relatives,  the problem is they are in two different,  communist states.

There are two older rifles in New York that he needs to get and about 5 pistols in New Hampshire.  It's my understanding that someone on that end can collect them up and mail them to an FFL here in Utah.

Here's the problem though;

apparently in New York there is some sort of Firearms Owner ID card or something?  Does the transporter need an FID card to mail them or can they just box them up and send them to the FFL?

New Hampshire, this is harder because they are handguns and I'm sure N. Hampshire has nutty laws about handguns.  Does the shipper there need a license or can they just box them up and fedex or Postal Service mail them?

Thanks for the advice, these sound like fairly nice guns. One of the long guns is a pre 1900 Winchester in perfect shape.  I'm still waiting to hear what the others ones are but they are all older firearms....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm, if there is any, ANY paper requirement that this be run through local authorities, I STRONGLY suggest, no, DEMAND that you or the buddy, or both, take this seriously and TAKE A ROAD TRIP.

Spirit them out and THEN deal with your local authorities, if need be.

If those things "should" have been registered at any point, but weren't, you will rue the day you tried to do the right thing.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know the finer points of New Hampshire and New York gun laws. But CITADELGRAD87 makes a very good point.

If they ever needed to be registered and never were then doing the right thing now would lead to loss of the involved guns. Since Utah doesn't care how a gun comes into the state (or I presume they don't - being a more conservative western state) then a road trip would be the best way to move them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The problems are less than you imagine.  I'm not familliar with the NY  ID card; used to be long guns were a non-issue in NY State (meaning not NY City), so the card, if it exists, is something new.  NH handgun law is minimal.  The simple way is to find an FFL in UT who will do a basic transfer for you, that is, receive them.  Some FFL's want to receive them from an FFL and are a pain.  It is completely legal for an FFL to receive firearms directly from an individual.  Those who don't likely are concerned whether or not the guns are stolen.  I'm sure that is a legitimate concern but, as a practical matter, why bother?  Find one who will receive direct.

The FFL will have to send a signed copy for transfer to the individuals shipping the guns.  THose individuals shipping can't use the Postal Service for handguns.  So, go to UPS.  THe law is to ship them overnight, expensive but probably a good idea anyway, even if it were not required.  Your local FFL in UT will enter them in the book, make your friend fill out the 4473's and comply with any local requirements.  Done.

The gray area is possession, even if temporary, in NY without the ID card.  Frankly, and this is not to be considered legal advice or advice condoning what the totalitarians want to call a crime, but I'd just have them sent and forget about the card issue.  Once in the FFL book, it's in UT.  Note also that there are different (meaning lesser) requirements on the Federal level for firearms over 100 years old.  This may also be on the state level, as well.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
New Hampshire, this is harder because they are handguns and I'm sure N. Hampshire has nutty laws about handguns.  Does the shipper there need a license or can they just box them up and fedex or Postal Service mail them?

NH is very good about guns - probably second
only to VT within new england.

Check this out: Packing.org (NH)

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh good points,  That's what I was thinking that it would be a "get them out quick" issue, I'd just hate the sender to get in trouble when they are transporting them.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Pickup truck. Full load of beer/softdrink cans. Guns on bottom. Overalls. Broadbrimmed straw hats. Obey the speed limit. Nonstop to the nearest free state.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I took my Ruger MK2 and my Mini-14 from New York City with me in 1988 when I moved to Florida. I had the Ruger registered in NYC with my target permit. They both drove with me and kept me company the entire time, not a problem. Once you leave NYC and the whole leftwing NE you are a free man, especially if you move down south.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless the rifles are in New York City (this includes all 5 boroughs; Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island) their should be no paperwork for the rifles.  Let me know what part of NY the rifles are located.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I need some help from the arfcom hive brain;  I have a buddy who's been given some firearms by relatives,  the problem is they are in two different,  communist states.

There are two older rifles in New York that he needs to get and about 5 pistols in New Hampshire.  It's my understanding that someone on that end can collect them up and mail them to an FFL here in Utah.

Here's the problem though;

apparently in New York there is some sort of Firearms Owner ID card or something?  Does the transporter need an FID card to mail them or can they just box them up and send them to the FFL?

Thanks for the advice, these sound like fairly nice guns. One of the long guns is a pre 1900 Winchester in perfect shape.  I'm still waiting to hear what the others ones are but they are all older firearms....

Back up there pal.  NH ain't no communist state.

We also have very few gun laws.  There's no FID card or any of that nonsense.  Only laws you'll have to worry about are the federal ones.

NY on the other hand is a liberal shithole.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Have him ship them to himself at your address.  There is no transfer involved, he is simply using a courier to transport his firearms for him.  Your friend should carefully package them in a ubiquitous brown box and ship them.  If anybody asks, tell them that the box contains machine parts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#12]
people don't take guns out of new hampsha, that's just silly, i tell ya.

people bring themselves TO  new hampsha, so they can have guns.

i'm sure you were confused with the state to our south, the peoples republic of massachusetts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#13]
There are no firearm ID cards in NY State (NY City residents must have a rifle shotgun permit)

Long guns are not even considered firearms in New York State!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Just have them mailed to his house.

Who is going to know???

CRC
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just have them mailed to his house.

Who is going to know???

CRC

OK, but I'll blame you when his cellmate
stuffs it in his pooper and posts pics.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah, Massachusetts is the evil communist state, not New Hampshire.  I know because if live in this horrible place.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You will need to get a Tourist Visa to enter NH.  There is a 3 year backlog and you must apply in person at your local NH Consulate.  You also need to obtain a Communist Central Committee Firearm Export Stamp.  They will cost you $500 per firearm + another $300 or so in bribe money, but there is an exemption if the final destination is to support a Communist uprising or are used to fight Nazi's.  Long live Lennin!    
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will need to get a Tourist Visa to enter NH.  There is a 3 year backlog and you must apply in person at your local NH Consulate.  You also need to obtain a Communist Central Committee Firearm Export Stamp.  They will cost you $500 per firearm + another $300 or so in bribe money, but there is an exemption if the final destination is to support a Communist uprising or are used to fight Nazi's.  Long live Lennin!    

The easy way around this for the pistol in NH is to tell us over here in New Hamshire (ie me) what kind they are so we can make an offer on them.

Then you wouldn't have to worry about shipping them and all that rig-a-more-all that C-4 explained.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Have him ship them to himself at your address.  There is no transfer involved, he is simply using a courier to transport his firearms for him.  Your friend should carefully package them in a ubiquitous brown box and ship them.  If anybody asks, tell them that the box contains machine parts.

Can anyone confirm this?  Do you have to ship to an FFL if you already own the firearms? These are his guns, he just lives in Utah now so he would be mailing it to himself.

I know I just sent and received a .22lr handgun from MA that I send for a recall issue.  It left from and came right back to my house.

Do you guys think he could just have them mailed right to his house?  I guess since they are his guns that makes sense but I also don't want to get his butt thrown in prison .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top