User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 1:45:57 PM EDT
http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/171806-8689-009.html

Not hotlinked on purpose.

By Richard D. Walton and Tom Spalding
[email protected]
August 20, 2004

In the end, the shooting spree that left an Indianapolis policeman dead Wednesday morning on the Southside came down to two men, face-to-face, drawing pistols.  Injured, and his high-powered rifle out of bullets, Patrolman Peter Koe charged gunman Kenneth C. Anderson, police said Thursday.
Koe slammed his rifle against Anderson, then killed him with his handgun, according to a preliminary police inquiry.  Police said Anderson, who had also emptied his weapon, an SKS assault rifle, had reached for his own pistol at the same time.  Thursday, Koe described all but the final stages of the killings and expressed grief over the death of Patrolman Timothy "Jake" Laird, who was shot by Anderson in the first moments of the confrontation. Koe refused the mantle of hero, saying he was just doing his job.

The 41-year-old SWAT team member, in his first public comments since the shootings, declined to detail the last moment except to say: "I closed the distance and assaulted his position and terminated the incident."
Other details of the confrontation were provided later by IPD spokesman Sgt. Steve Staletovich. He said Koe, a 16-year veteran, learned in police training how to use his rifle as a club.

It bought Koe the time he needed to grab his .40-caliber pistol and end the ordeal.  Koe limped into a news conference Thursday afternoon with a bandage covering his knee and thigh, wounded by a bullet from Anderson's rifle. Just a flesh wound, he said.  He credited the first officers at the crime scene with providing him the details he needed to corner Anderson -- a "gun nut," Koe called him -- who used stealth to wreak his havoc.  "This gentleman was not stupid. He was using cover. He was using darkness . . . He was using (effective) tactics to try to engage me."

Koe said he was in the City-County Building having his laptop computer reprogrammed about 2 a.m. Wednesday when he heard the first radio report of the incident.  Patrolman Tim Conley was calling for help. "Haunting," recalled Koe, his voice quivering.  He rushed toward the scene, driving east on Gimber Street. Over the radio he heard shots, and the words, "Officer down!"

Koe knew Conley was injured and that Laird was down in the 2800 block of Dietz Street, about one block to the south.  Police described a heavy-set man firing at any patrol car he saw. He was walking north.  Parking his car at the corner of Gimber and Tindall streets, Koe opened his trunk to retrieve his M4 carbine. He had loaded one ammunition clip when he came under fire.  From the sound, Koe knew immediately it was an assault rifle. "His rounds were impacting the car, shattering the glass, bouncing off the asphalt," Koe said.

Koe felt a sharp blow to the top of his head. Blood streamed down his face. "Blood started covering my glasses," he said.  He hadn't been struck by a bullet, but probably flying debris.  About seven bullets pierced the frame of his car.  Koe's mind kept returning to his training.  
"I rolled right, because I'm not going to just lay behind a vehicle and wait for him to walk around and dispatch me."   In the darkness, Koe tried to find the shooter.  Rising up to see more, Koe felt a thump -- like getting kicked by a donkey, he said. A bullet had struck. Blood flowed from his leg. In the rush of adrenaline, he felt no pain.

He rolled again, finding scant cover behind a telephone pole.  "Just keep moving, moving," he thought.
Anderson kept firing. "He was just spraying. He didn't care."  Koe ended his description at that point, saying that he has to give an official statement to investigators. IPD special services Maj. Mark Carrico, Koe's supervisor, said Koe's bravery was unprecedented.  Because he directed medical attention to other injured officers, "his valor, manner and professionalism is a great example to all of us."  Koe, while praising his fellow officers, said providence also may have guided his actions.

"Maybe somebody wanted me to be there."

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
"two men, face-to-face, drawing pistols. Injured, and his high-powered rifle out of bullets, Patrolman Peter Koe charged gunman Kenneth C. Anderson, police said Thursday.
Koe slammed his rifle against Anderson, then killed him with his handgun..."

Who says you cant do a proper butt stroke with the AR15.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
tagged for later...gotta run.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I admire the officer for what he did in taking out that scum bag, but the author of the article needs a severe beat down.

SKS != assault rifle

"Spraying bullets"

"gun nut"

Time to start ordering SKS's guys before they're all banned...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
a "gun nut"...or just a nut?

i wonder what caused this guy to off the deep end?

my condolences to the officers and their families.

According to reporters democrats, anyone who owns a gun is a "gun nut" just waiting to be on the 5 oclock news.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
He was diagnosed as a schizophrenic some time ago and quit taking his medicine.  Apparently, he had to be deemed mentally unstable by a court before they could impound hs firearms.  I'm all for second amendment rights to the nth degree, but I've dealt with schizophrenics before and I'm not comfortable about them having access to firearms.  That's a personal opinion, not a professional one.  Incidents like this really hurt gun rights issues.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
An M4 with at least one full magazine but ended up butt-stroking him.  Wonder how the rest of it went.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno. I wouldn't attempt that with a CAR stocked AR. Would probably bend the buffer tube.

Now if my ass is on the line, to HELL with the buffer tube. I can always get another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Hats off for a hell of a man. Good job, officer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow he ran out of ammo?  I thought 10 rounds was enough for anybody.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice job Officer Koe. That's the definition of "close quarters combat" right there.

+1
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Rumor control says Koe is an ex-Frog.  Information only, of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top