Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2004 12:00:37 PM EDT
Okay, who else here enjoys this album? Or, perhaps, a question that will get less responses, who doesn't?

My personal favorite track is Time. Mainly because of the solo, though.

On the Run just kind of stinks, though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It's my favorite Pink Floyd album.  Second is "Wish You Were Here."

And I like their later stuff, too.  "The Division Bell" is quite good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The Wall and Dark Side are 2 of the greatest albums ever,
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

<----him too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
    Hell yes. Lights out, put on the headphones, recline the La-Z- Boy. Outstanding.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

"Animals" is goddamned awesome.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Dark Side of the moon, Saucerful of Secrets, Piper at the Gates of dawn...its all good!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I am the only person here with an "Up With People" LP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Damnit! I'm listening to it on a streaming radio, and they skip from Money, to Speak To Me, to The Great Gig in the Sky, without doing Breath or Time. Damn you, Grapeshot!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]
My Fav is Momentary Lapse of Reason...... ridicule all you'd like.... I just like it (And I have them All.... i think)

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
well shit............

i was gonna post a IBTH (InBeforeTheHun) but i wasn't fast enough
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I love how these hard rightwing extremist conservative guys love liberal bands, particularly one that promoted the anti-government and LSD culture so heavily.

Great band though...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, if they make some of the greatest music in the world, I'm damn sure going to listen, no matter their politics.

Besides, I support legalization of LSD, Marijuana, and X.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]

When I was much younger (30 now)  all I listened to was Floyd.  After you cut your teeth on Darkside and Wish you were hear, you'll aquire a taste for some of the bizarre stuff, like Animals.  The whole Wall CD are great.  I also like the Machine.  Also check out the Final Cut, it was kinda cool.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
But how about "Ummagumma" (I think that's how it's spelled)?

I can't imagine the song "Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict" is quite as good now that I'm a sober person...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not even a Pink Floyd fan per se, but I've had that on vinyl, 8 trac, cassette and now CD.  I'd have to say its probably the best rock album of all time
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Argueably the finest rock and roll album of all time.  The Wall gives it a run for the money...

One of my favs...and yes, I have several of Floyd's albumns around here somewhere.

Go here for some fun.  You need high  speed  connection but it is definitely worth it.

www.pinkfloyd.com/echoes.html

Listening to The Wall now in fact...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I guess I am the only person here with an "Up With People" LP.

Lambchop or Liquor Giants?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I love Pink Floyd, but Dark Side is one of my least favorite albums. Animals  and The Wall are my two favorites, followed closely by Wish You Were Here and Division Bell.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I think "Dark Side of the Moon" is the greatest recorded album of any genre ever made. Wish, Animals, The Wall, Meddle, Momentary Lapse (got it on the system right now in fact) are right up there, but Dark Side is the one #1 of all time. I don't know how many vinyl copies I wore out beforel CD's came out, but it was a bunch.

BTW - have any of you heard it on SACD (on a really good system) yet? It's worth the cost of a high end system just to be able to hear this one album finally in PERFECT sonic clarity. All you tone arm guys can throw out your vinyl and your turntables - SACD is IT.  IMHO anyway....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Alright, since I haven't seen it posted yet, who has played the DSOM album while watching the Wizard of OZ?

The deal is...

You start the CD/Record/Tape when the MGM lion roars for the 2nd time.  

It plays too much like a soundtrack to be coincidence.

By the way - Fearless was the best song ever written.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
If I recall, Dark Side was on the charts for over 5 years, longer than any other album ever, at least at that time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If I recall, Dark Side was on the charts for over 5 years, longer than any other album ever, at least at that time.

I think it was closer to 10+ years, IIRC. Longer than any album before or since.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Alright, since I haven't seen it posted yet, who has played the DSOM album while watching the Wizard of OZ?

It plays too much like a soundtrack to be coincidence.

It IS coincidence though, per the band and Alan Parsons.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#27]
ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Dark Side of the Moon… oh yess! bought it when it first came out and wore it out and the next few copies…

Personally I think Wish You Were Here is a better album… high volume and a serious sound system… music you 'feel'.

"How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
year after year,
running over the same old ground. What have we found?
The same old fears,
wish you were here. "

Meddle is pretty good as well. I must be getting old, I have original Pink Floyd on vinyl I bought in 1969.

Animals was so-so, after that they bombed…

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't believe that no one likes Meddle. Echos is a classic not to mention 22 min. long.

I'm also a big fan of all the Sid Barret stuff.
Sing with me:

I've got a bike you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and thing to make it look good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I never liked Dark Side of the Moon.  Can't say why exactly other than I just don't like the songs.  Animals, in my opinion is the best album released by them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I have all the old stuff with Sid, but I find it to be more like a strung out collection of just sound effects rather than music. Interesting maybe, but I like the stuff with Gilmore (Meddle and later) a lot better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I can't believe that no one likes Meddle. Echos is a classic not to mention 22 min. long.

Oh yes! Crystal Voyager used that track… hands up who remembers the film?

Andy
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I prefer Animals and Meddle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Man,
 Cyrstal Voyager.  One of the greatest surfing movies of all time. Right up there with 'Endless Summer'
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have all the old stuff with Sid, but I find it to be more like a strung out collection of just sound effects rather than music. Interesting maybe, but I like the stuff with Gilmore (Meddle and later) a lot better.

Your right gus. Floyds music did become a whole lot more economically viable after Sid but I still feel that the music lost a demented spark with the loss of poor Sid B.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right gus. Floyds music did become a whole lot more economically viable after Sid but I still feel that the music lost a demented spark with the loss of poor Sid B.

True enough. I don't look at it from an economic standpoint though, just a musical one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#37]
i saw them in concert twice the last time around.
they played the whole dark side of the moon in one shot.  they said it was the first time doing so in 25 years, and that they even has dick pare on sax, the origional sax dude from when it was recorded.

f'n awesome.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#38]
If I were to only have 10 albums to listen to for the rest of my life, Dark Side Of The Moon would be one of the 10.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Every bit as good as Dark Side. I love Animals.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Dark Side is my favorite Floyd album.  But Animals is real close (listening to it right now )
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it was closer to 10+ years, IIRC. Longer than any album before or since.

15 years.  DSOTM entered the Billboard Top 200 in 1973 and finally left it in 1988.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]
My best friend's dad listened to Dark Side of the Moon on his stereo in 1974, the next day he went out and built a quadraphonic system.
Many many afternoons spent listening to DSOTM in quadraphonic with "green" enhancement...

SEVERAL SPECIES OF SMALL FURRY ANIMALS GATHERED TOGETHER IN A CAVE AND GROOVING WITH A PICT

Aye an' a bit of Mackeral settler rack and ruin
ran it doon by the haim, 'ma place
well I slapped me and I slapped it doon in the side
and I cried, cried, cried.

The fear a fallen down taken never back the raize and then Craig Marion, get out wi' ye Claymore out mi pocket a' ran doon, doon the middin stain picking the fiery horde that was fallen around ma feet.
Never he cried, never shall it ye get me alive ye rotten hound of the burnie crew. Well I snatched fer the blade O my Claymore cut and thrust and I fell doon before him round his feet.

[...]

...and the wind cried back.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a gold plated CD of this and it sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#44]
The Division Bell is my favorite PF album.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Love the early work, listened to it in very altered states in my youth. Probably like Wish You Were Here best though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every bit as good as Dark Side. I love Animals.

You have to be trusted
by the people that you lie to.
So that when they turn their backs on you
you'll get the chance to put the knife in.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I agree!!! Dark Side is a classic but ANIMALS is one of the most UNDERRATED albums of all time.
I've heard Dark Side so many times that I have almost come to the conclusion that ANIMALS is my favorite Pink Floyd album.
Although, for it's time, Dark Side blew everything else away!!!!! Was on the top album list for .... What 15 to 17 yrs.  Longer than any album in history!!!!  Haven't listened to it for a while (Animals either) but still , it is one of my all time favs. !!!!
Wish You Were Here is another GREAT album .  Let's face it,  Pink Floyd put out some of the GREATESTS music of our lifetimes!!!! Especially if you grew up in the 70's....

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#48]
The Wall has to be my favorite, followed by Dark Side, and Wish You Were Here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Just picked up Dark Side CD from Costco today.  I still listen to music on RECORDS and pretty much stopped buying music when CD's killed records.  Can't keep my fngers off the volume knob and can't hear sh..  for days if I crank it up too loud.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its also estimated that enough copys have sold for litely everyone in ameriza to have atleast one copy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top