Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 11:10:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to take this oppertunity to bash glocks cuz I hate glocks(but not to bad) but whats the point.

Not sure why they would change. I wonder if they have that heavy ass trigger pull too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Shortly after they learned POS Glocks like to kB.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
i have a friend who recently finished the academy. he had a choice between the glock of the SW.

paging Mr. Wave
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Special events teams maybe?  Authorized officer purchase?  I thought they were restricted to 9mm Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember right, they get a choice, but there's an approved carry gun list as well, just the officer needs to purchase it with his/her own funds.

My cousin (who's NYPD) wanted a Sig, but it was too spendy for him at the time.

He mentioned all this last time he was around; my dad's duty piece is a Sig 226.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig 226 was one of the 'original' choices when the department adopted 9mm pistols. So, it's been around since day one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny, I always check out what piece an NYPD officer is carrying.  My reaction when I see the Sig (as opposed to the S&W or Glock) is that the cop with the Sig actually cares what he's shooting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Are they restricted to DAO Sigs?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#10]
they stopped issueing them in the mid 90s because of rusting problems.

They started issuing them again in 2002, with my class. I carry a Sig.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I remember right, they get a choice, but there's an approved carry gun list as well, just the officer needs to purchase it with his/her own funds.

My cousin (who's NYPD) wanted a Sig, but it was too spendy for him at the time.

He mentioned all this last time he was around; my dad's duty piece is a Sig 226.

no, they provide you with your duty pistol.

if you want an off duty you have to buy that yourself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

yes. and the trigger is horrible. very long and heavy.

NYPD would rather issue handicapped pistols than provide adequate safety training in the academy.

of course that is kinda hard when the majority of new recruits have never handled a gun in their lives
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes. and the trigger is horrible. very long and heavy.

NYPD would rather issue handicapped pistols than provide adequate safety training in the academy.

of course that is kinda hard when the majority of new recruits have never handled a gun in their lives

Not to mention that they have close to 3000 in at a time.  I really do wish we spent more time shooting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i have a friend who recently finished the academy. he had a choice between the glock of the SW.

paging Mr. Wave

How recent is recent?  NYPD (as stated above) has issued them in 2002. Actually they were REissued in 2002.   They were also issued somewhere around '98, but they were having big problems with rust so they stopped.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Sig 226's ( DAO ) were issued since the original pilot program ( 93' ) then was taken off the authorized list ( 98' ) any officer with a sig was grandfathered. About 2 years ago the Sigs were re-authorized after going through some changes to the coating mainy to the internal parts. Testing of a newer version of the Sig 226 DAO began about 9 months ago , the main difference was a shorter smoother trigger.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sig 226's ( DAO ) were issued since the original pilot program ( 93' ) then was taken off the authorized list ( 98' ) any officer with a sig was grandfathered. About 2 years ago the Sigs were re-authorized after going through some changes to the coating mainy to the internal parts. Testing of a newer version of the Sig 226 DAO began about 9 months ago , the main difference was a shorter smoother trigger.

thats teh P226 DAK you're talking about?

I didnt know NYPD was testing that... just looked at the SIG website... it said it has a 6.5# DAO trigger... dont see NYPD approving that
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
So far its doing well , I put about 500 rds through it and thought the trigger was half decent for a sig. and like other sigs its been very reliable.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Good to see that they are issuing Sig. I think most of the cops there carry the Glock or S&W (I'm pretty sure Wave carries the S&W 5946). I have had all 3 types of handguns and like them all, akthough I wish the S&W trigger didn't feel so gritty, have so much creep and slack, etc. Otherwise I like them. It's nice to see they have some choices. All are good, but some are better suited to some people than others.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
You are in FTS?

anyhow, i'll have to try one out some time... if I like it and they end up geting approved, I just might get one

too bad they dont just authorize the normal DA/SA one
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm with Corrections FTS at the Outdoor Range. Between the Sig and S&W I'll take the Smith mainly because of the trigger (  shorter / straighter pull ) and because its built like a tank. We have S&W 5946's with over 400,000 rds still going.

For the average Officer with average skills and hand strength I think either the S&W or the SIG are a good choice. I prefer the Glock for mainy reasons but with the Glock the shooter is the weaker link than the other two. If you looked at reliability stats all three pistols are similar but the Glock has the highest rate of malfunctions in actual shootings . This is mainly because the frame on the glock is light and requires more effort to stabilize it as the slide operates , any fluctuating ( limp wristing or improper grip) will affect slide velocity which can cause malfunctions. THe other two pistols because of the higher frame weights are less prone to shooter induced malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]
yea the Glock is the easiest of the 3 to shoot well because of the shorter trigger pull. I shoot my Sig like crap. But limpwritsing can be a problem with those. My Sig has never jammed once except when they had us use the dummy rounds that make it jam on purpose.

but I still cant group with it for shit.

I'd like to work at FTS at some point in my carreer... but I'd have to move upstate. the commute from where I live wouldnt work. and I'd rather work at rodmans neck than ave X
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep almost everyone lives in Orange and Putnam , I'm one of the few who live on the Island
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#24]
must be cool working up there.... getting to shoot all types of guns

I remember when I was in the academy we were standing in formation outside one of the ranges and I hear BBBRRDAAAAAAAtTT  BRDAAATTT BRDAAAAAAAAAT and then some guy walks out the range and past us with a Mac 11. I was like

wonder if it was personally owned? I remember hearing that cops can own MGs in NY.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#25]
CHARGING-HANDLE: A S+W with a gritty trigger? Ever clean it? Does yours have the magazine safety in it? NYPD versions don't; they didnt want an expensive hammer in a holster if the mag was dropped by accident or in a scuffle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
wonder if it was personally owned? I remember hearing that cops can own MGs in NY.....

No;they cannot.  Their agency can issue one to them if they are on a  team.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a P226 in .357 and can't say I was impressed with it. Sure it's nice having a club as a backup in hand but my P99 is a tack driver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top