Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 6:21:07 AM EDT
I'm curious as to whether anyone that owns/rides/repairs etc.  Hinckley Triumphs can help me.

I own a '99 adventurer with only about 6k miles on it. I was getting it ready for a ride this summer when I managed to drop it on the concrete. I was polishing the wheels and when I moved it to get at the back wheel better, I moved it on to uneven ground,turned around, took a step and the kickstand folded and the bike smashed down. After 2 months without my bike and more than $1000 later I am riding home from the shop when I smell oil. I stop and check and see that I have oil streaming out from under the valve covers (the guy did a valve adjustment as well per 6k service recommendations). So I turn around and take it back and the next day the guy claims... no this had nothing to do with the valve job... your centrifugal breather is not functioning and therefore excess pressure is building up in the oil system and forcing the oil out at the weakest point, appraently at the front left valve cover.

Anyone know if this is a common problem? Anyone ever have this happen? Is this problem potentially related to dropping the bike? How much should I legitimately pay for a fix like this? Gr, I want my bike back.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#1]
97 Daytona.

i plan on rebuilding one as soon as i have a decent job and can afford to do so.

1974 bonnieville has caught my eye.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Errr.... The valve cover doesn't hold pressurised oil and is not part of the oiling system (Unless Triumphs are very strange).  All it does is cap the head keeping the environment out and oil spatter in...  

excess pressure is building up in the oil system and forcing the oil out

Now, a plugged PCV (not sure bikes have one) could overpressure the AIR (not oil) in the engine and start to force oil and air out between gaskets tha are not made to hold pressure, but that would be a bit extreme.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
oh. about the oil leaking. its a triumph thing. even the new bikes will leak oil eventually. just add more and it will be fine.

hell...even Triumph T-shirts leak oil.

a good site to look at is T595.net
good group of guys.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
i rode a 96 900 sprint for a couple of years, no problems, it just wasn't a twin. i have an 01 v11 guzzi now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
oh. about the oil leaking. its a triumph thing. even the new bikes will leak oil eventually. just add more and it will be fine.

hell...even Triumph T-shirts leak oil.

a good site to look at is T595.net
good group of guys.

No, this goes beyond the "triumph thing" I know that a little oil will come out through the breather when running it but this is far beyond a little bit of oil and it was coming out from where the chromed valve covers meet the head and in copious amounts...enough to coat my left pant leg in the greasy stuff. In all the time I have owned this thing, I have never had oil come from under the valve covers and never had oil leak from anywhere in such volumes. I didn't think the oil under the valve covers would be pressurized either... I wonder if I'm getting a snow job here?

Just adding oil is not an option here since I immediately returned the bike to the shop figuring this guy screwed up the gasket installation after adjusting the valaves. He claims that the centrifugal breather is plugged and could either be "honkey rigged" or it needed to be replaced outright to solve the problem. I told him to just replace it if it was necessary to "fix it right" What I really wanna know is if this guy is pulling one over on me or whether this is just another consequence of my stupidity...because if it is... I may just submit a claim to insurance after all. I thought I would just repair it out of pocket but this is getting to be ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
go the extra mile to find a second Triumph Dealer.

i thought i had the dreaded 4th grear problem on my bike but i took it to another dealer and it was simply a rod on my shifter that was too tight to positively lock it in to gear. saved me hundreds of dollars in replacing a transmission. They simply gave the rod some slack by lentghining the rod.

it did take them a few hours to find it, so it still cost me a hundred bucks...but much easier to cope with than dumping a few grand in a new transmission.

second opinion.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top