Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 7:50:45 PM EDT
I myself had a LOT of issues with this movie and as you can tell from my username and avatar, I'm a HUGE fan. This was an interesting read that might explain why it sucked a lot more than it should have. Hopefully the new Director's Cut will fix a lot of things but it may be too little too late.

www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=2378&Template=newsfull

There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding Paul Anderson's Alien vs Predator, which hit theaters last week. Whether it's on IMDB or right here at Mr. Disgusting's review, people either hated the film or loved it. But what everyone really wants to know is what was with all the talk of the movie not being completed and why is it rated PG-13? If you read on, all of your questions will be answered by the director himself Paul W.S. Anderson...

LAgrappleguy writes in the following (also posted on IMDB):

Hi Brad... There was an industry screening of AVP the other night, and I was lucky enough to attend. It included a Q&A with the filmmakers. I was able to ask some of the questions on my mind, but I couldn't get them all in. Regardless, many of the people who were also there had similar questions.

First of all, this screening was made up of industry professionals and filmmakers. No actors, but David Fincher, (Director of Alien 3) was there, which was cool. Now the audience were trying to be respectful in the beginning but as the film unfolded, the audience ended up really trashing the film. It was astounding to see Anderson's colleagues and friends openly making fun of his film, with him in the room!

When the Predator took off his helmet in front of Lex after the explosions someone shouted "Gimme some sugar, baby." I mean, this movie was bad, but I didn't expect these people to be so blatant about it.

When Anderson and the effects guys approached the tables, they were smirking with each other. The first subject that came up, no thanks to me, was the length and PG-13 rating.

So here it is, from the horses mouth.

About the studio's cutting of the film, which he had no control over, he said, and I quote, "All of the best scenes were cut." Anderson was obviously very annoyed at the way the film was released. However, this was not purely because of the PG-13 limitation, which incidentally, the studio enforced THREE WEEKS before the release date! It was always going to be R until then. Part of the reason for the cutting was that some of the effects were not ready by the time the release date came around. The effects team had very little time to do anything.

As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although they don't know the release date yet.

Without saying anything that could dig his own grave, Anderson tactfully pinned the fault of the poor quality of the film on the studio's cut. We all know that the script and performances was not quite up to par either, but then it was time for me to ask my first question.

"What specifically, makes you [Anderson] such a fan of the original 6 films?"

He went on to say that he thought they each had their own unique voice and were incredibly creative within a genre that often leads to purely formulaic films (ahem, mate, this is you!). He said that he was attempting to add his own unique voice to the series while paying hommage to the original source material. He also thought that the creatures, were the two greatest inventions in Science Fiction history. Someone then said, "Beyond lightsabers?" and he replied, "yes, even beyond lightsabers."

Some other effects questions were asked, which had some cool insights. The explosion sequence encompassed for half the budget, which was only 65mil in the first place (for a film like this, this is nothing), and all the shifting of the walls, yes ALL OF IT, was completely CGI. There were no moving live sets. Having watched it again, I have to say, I couldn't tell, and all my friends know that if there's some CG in a film, I'll see it. That impressed me. Also, they changed the appearance of the Queen slightly, adding a ridge to her crown and taking away, what they call, the "high heals" that she wore (the second reverse knee). Also, 80% of all the shots with an Alien in it was the hydraulic Alien they built.

Anyway, effects aside, I asked another question.

"I know that the AVP project has been surrounded by controversy since the first attempt in the early nineties. Why did you choose to not use any of the pre-existing stories, the original comic series, the Peter Briggs script, etc?"

He told me that he wanted to make the film his own. He also proclaimed that he'd had the idea for this film ever since seeing Predator 2. I thought that was probably ego-driven BS, but regardless, it's what he said. He also said that the Peter Briggs script is completely off-limits, shelved indefinately by Dark Horse and they won't let anyone tough it. Sounds to me like he tried, heh heh.

Later I asked some technical nerd questions. I wasn't the only one. I started by stating that I noticed some glaring continuity errors between this film and the pre-established occurences in the previous 6 films. Anderson stopped me before I could continue and said due to the "mangling" of the film, there was a lot left out. I asked, "Does that include the acceleration of the alien life cycle or was that just conveniant."

Whoops, I had hit a nerve. He shook his head. "No, no, the machine that the Predators built to house the Queen pumps her full of hormones that accelerate the birth of the creatures. If we'd seen the REAL film, we'd know that."

The answer to why Aliens attacked the incubated predator was that the alien inside the Predator was not sanctified by the Aliens because it was essentially a different species due to the DNA reflex the Alien's possess. Okay, I guess I could go with that.

The Q&A wrapped up with talks about the digital intermediate and the difference between working with Super35 and Anamorphic.

I tried asking a last question but they ended it before I could. I pretty much hogged the Q&A as it was.

Afterwards I went and shook Anderson's hand. He remembered me from a mutual acquaintances birthday party. I told him I couldn't wait for the Director's Cut and was really nice. I asked about a sequal and he said he'd thought about it but nothing concrete was in motion. They were waiting to see about the returns. I told him I had what he neede and I would send him my treatment through CAA. I assured him it was a direct sequal and he said, "Good." I then said, so they're letting you have a Director's cut, huh? He said, "yeah, it'll be great." Then I said, "can I give you some advice from the youngest generation of filmmakers, namely, me." He said, "Sure, go for it." I said, "The facehuggers are fast, damn fast, get rid of the matrix shot when they jump out of the eggs for the first time." He said he'd take that into consideration. Then I started talking about the reviews. I talked about IMDB and how much of a "Lover Versus Haters" war had erupted. He seemed amused by that and then said,
   to my surprise, well, as a filmmaker, I'm satisfied with the film, but as a fan of the originals, this cut really pisses me off, so it makes sense I guess." he said he'd check it out (the IMDB boards) but I can't gaurantee that will happen.

All in all I was really happy about what he had to say. It was great to hear a filmmaker so honest about his work and he knows that he has a long way to go before he is any good as a filmmaker. Having talked to him before, I know that the films he is making now are films that, he feels, will only get him to a place where he can really excel.

Oh well, there it is, hope that shed some light on some stuff. Oh, and apparently, the book they wrote is based on the original R-rated cut, so that'll tell you what is missing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Why did they need human sacrifices/hosts, when they produced dozens and dozens of Aliens w/out using hosts?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
In order for the face huggers to become Aliens they need a host to gestate in, don't you know your alien biology
I liked the movie!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
hope this works

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked the movie also. Was it as good as alien 1 or predator 1 no but it was decent.  I would have liked to see more predator vs alien stuff and less people running around but other than that it was a solid movie.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I havent seen it, sound slike I may just wait for the DVD.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In order for the face huggers to become Aliens they need a host to gestate in, don't you know your alien biology
I liked the movie!!!

He means, there were 4-8 people in the sacrifice room but there were 30+ aliens the predators were hunting.  Were they double stuffing people?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
:(  

Oh man... I felt so embarassed for the director when the pred took his mask off.  

Fox... how could you.

AVP V.2.0
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I liked the movie!!!

He means, there were 4-8 people in the sacrifice room but there were 30+ aliens the predators were hunting.  Were they double stuffing people?

I didn't keep a body count on face hugger victims but there where only maybe 10 aliens running around from what I remember
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I liked the movie!!!

I didn't keep a body count on face hugger victims but there where only maybe 10 aliens running around from what I remember

The last predator dispatched at least 10 aliens when he got his shoulder cannon back.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I liked the movie!!!

The last predator dispatched at least 10 aliens when he got his shoulder cannon back.  

Uh , yeah they were double stuffing!!
I guess I'll have to do a body count when the DVD comes out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
SPOILERS!!!!
Things I have a problem with:

Face-hugger --> chestburster --> alien phase too fast.

One alien kills two predators.

Aliens use tails in ways that the Queen only has in previous films.

Predator removes wristpad (it's build into his arm - play the games for more info).

Predator befriends pussy woman.

Woman can wear alien skull without acid burn.

Woman "accidentally" kills alien, then doesn't get any acid burn.

Acid blood burns off wristblades, but not knife or staff.

Queen alien like 3 times larger than before.

Aliens spill acid blood on restraints to release Queen, yet Queen and other aliens have no wounds.

Ugly redesign of Predator face.

Silly Matrix-Facehugger shot.

Desert Eagle apparently has flush-fit 15+ round magazine.

Silly Predator-Alien chestburster.

Aliens attack implanted Predator, but they never attacked implanted Ripley (Alien 3).

Predator lets woman live.

Whole movie seems like it was in too big a hurry to finish.

Director also did Resident Evil. 'Nuff said.

Yea, I went in with no expectations and am sad to report they were met, but not exceeded.

someone needs to read some comics, play some games, watch the originals, and not push his own version with a shitty story after canning a potentially good original story. It's going to take an act of God to resurrect this piece of crap into a good Director's Cut DVD. I'mm download before I buy, if it's worth the download time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
someone has a lot of time on their hands
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
someone has a lot of time on their hands

That's what I came up with after seeing the movie once... three days ago... off the top of my head.... in 5 minutes.

Seriously.. I'm ashamed it has a predator and alien in it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By leela

Face-hugger --> chestburster --> alien phase too fast.    (Noticed that too. It takes at least a whole day)

One alien kills two predators.    (Why not)

Aliens use tails in ways that the Queen only has in previous films.  (didn't really notice)

Predator removes wristpad (it's build into his arm - play the games for more info).  (really, maybe it's the newer or older model)

Predator befriends pussy woman.    (film needs a plot somewhere)

Woman can wear alien skull without acid burn.   (The blood was uh, drained yeah thats it!!!)

Woman "accidentally" kills alien, then doesn't get any acid burn.     (It missed her)

Acid blood burns off wristblades, but not knife or staff.    (different metals)

Queen alien like 3 times larger than before.    (she ate more this time, like Rosie)

Aliens spill acid blood on restraints to release Queen, yet Queen and other aliens have no wounds.  (they are tough little buggers)

Ugly redesign of Predator face.   (didn't notice any difference)

Silly Matrix-Facehugger shot.    (it's a fad)

Desert Eagle apparently has flush-fit 15+ round magazine.    (hahaha)

Silly Predator-Alien chestburster.   (I liked it, but didn't they notice this with their scanners?)

Aliens attack implanted Predator, but they never attacked implanted Ripley (Alien 3).   (they changed their mind)

Predator lets woman live.    (gotta have a story where a chick lives)

Whole movie seems like it was in too big a hurry to finish.   (agreed)

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
SPOILERS!!!!

Predator removes wristpad (it's build into his arm - play the games for more info).

Aliens spill acid blood on restraints to release Queen, yet Queen and other aliens have no wounds.

Aliens attack implanted Predator, but they never attacked implanted Ripley (Alien 3).

Yea, I went in with no expectations and am sad to report they were met, but not exceeded.

someone needs to read some comics, play some games, watch the originals, and not push his own version with a shitty story after canning a potentially good original story. It's going to take an act of God to resurrect this piece of crap into a good Director's Cut DVD. I'mm download before I buy, if it's worth the download time.

Point #1 is accounted for in the DVD. The article explains it.

Point #3 the alien in Alien used its tail on Veronica Cartwright's character to kill her

Point #6 the predator demonstrates to the woman that the acid won't eat through the liner he places inside the skull (at least I think that's what he did when he showed her that it wouldn't eat through that material)

Point #9 I think the scale was about right actually. I have a McFarlan Alien Queen diorama thingie and I have  the Alien vs Predator 2 pack that they came out with a while back and the scale seems about right to me.

Point #15 also explained in the article

The rest I pretty much agree with you on.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Anderson is just a terrible director.  Even with all of the added footage the plot still sucks.  I don't care what you explain it will still suck.  Temple in the artic?  They should have just used one of the plots from the comics or the damn games.  The games were nothing amazing, but the plot for them was a lot more acceptable then the one he came up with.  Even if he couldn't outright use either of them he could have at least come up with something similar.  How are you going to have a green peace loser as the main character? I would rather have a space marine or something.  Shit newt would have been a better lead.   He just can't write a movie though.  The dialog was terrible.  I kept wincing when people would speak and mutter dialog....  Half the crap they said didn’t further the movie at all.  They had decent actors too, but Anderson can’t write a script that would allow them to act at half their potential.  It is like watching Samuel L. Jackson sputtering out those awful lines in Star Wars.   The only movie he did that was acceptable at best was Event Horizon and if you notice he didn’t write it.  He might be able to direct, but he can’t write.  I think the whole damn franchise is cursed.  I can only hope at some point Ridley Scott comes back and directs another one.  That’s a man with talent.  Aliens left it way open for a sequel and they screwed it up.  They should just admit the others were mistakes.  Alien 3 was just ok if for the sole reason that they killed off Ripley.  The damn movies are about the Aliens not some woman.  Too bad they went and made this and Resurrection.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope we don't turn into Trekkies on the subject
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Point #6 the predator demonstrates to the woman that the acid won't eat through the liner he places inside the skull (at least I think that's what he did when he showed her that it wouldn't eat through that material)

That WAS the alien's skull... now how did he empty the entire thing out so that there was no acid left, without using water, or some other liquid? He Hoover the sucker??

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Too late.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too late.

Doh!!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That WAS the alien's skull... now how did he empty the entire thing out so that there was no acid left, without using water, or some other liquid? He Hoover the sucker??

He used the script to wipe out the skull.  It was so full of shit that it had to counteract the acid.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He used the script to wipe out the skull.  It was so full of shit that it had to counteract the acid.

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
They killed Ripley?

Quoted:
Alien 3 was just ok if for the sole reason that they killed off Ripley.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to high school with Alec Gillis.
He always had the coolest Halloween costumes....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:27:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Oh man... I felt so embarassed for the director when the pred took his mask off.  

Fox... how could you.

AVP V.2.0

???
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
SPOILERS!!!!

Face-hugger --> chestburster --> alien phase too fast. (explained above, they are bred for hunting no waiting around)

One alien kills two predators. (Aliens are bad ass)

Aliens use tails in ways that the Queen only has in previous films. (no way, they always try to use their tails.)

Predator removes wristpad (it's build into his arm - play the games for more info). (do set the bomb in it right? )

Predator befriends pussy woman. (well the reality of everyone dying wouldn't sell movie tickets)

Woman can wear alien skull without acid burn. (I got nothing. maybe the predator has some shit that like negates the acid?)

Woman "accidentally" kills alien, then doesn't get any acid burn. (Don't remember that part)

Acid blood burns off wristblades, but not knife or staff. (Again, I didn't understant that part,)

Queen alien like 3 times larger than before. (Not really, we have only seen it in Aliens, and it was kind of hidden.)

Aliens spill acid blood on restraints to release Queen, yet Queen and other aliens have no wounds. (They are not as stupid as they look)

Ugly redesign of Predator face. (true.)

Silly Matrix-Facehugger shot. (I thought it was tight)

Desert Eagle apparently has flush-fit 15+ round magazine. (come on, and they are using three foot spears, and alien heads as shields)

Silly Predator-Alien chestburster. (Au contrair, I think this could be a cool 2nd movie, Alien-Predator Hybrids, mean and strong)

Aliens attack implanted Predator, but they never attacked implanted Ripley (Alien 3). (Thats because The one in Alien 3 inside ripley was a queen, they couldn't kill her if they wanted to ensure thier survival)

Predator lets woman live. (She proved herself in the hunt, why would he kill her?)

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fox... how could you.

AVP V.2.0

???

Fox handed this movie over to a man with no talent and then they proceed to gut a film already poorly thought out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Lame.

Too bad they don't make a Stargate SG1 vrs Alien & Predator. Now that would be cool to Tealk kicking predator ass.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#29]
The plot really sucked. I mean couldn't they have come up with something better for a storyline?  Hence, the movie was really bad.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
SPOILERS!!!!

So you obviously didn't read the first post. Most of what you gripe about was the studio's doing not the directors. wait for the directors cut DVD
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I liked the movie also. Was it as good as alien 1 or predator 1 no but it was decent.  I would have liked to see more predator vs alien stuff and less people running around but other than that it was a solid movie.

+1
I think they explained the connection of predator & alien very well.
It made sense how the two are connected.
It also explained how we as humans advanced in building and culture in such a short amout of time
(historic time wise)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#32]
You know what I just noticed, some of you guys don't know how to just watch a movie and be "entertained," you have to analyze every single screen frame by frame until you suck all the entertainment out of it.
Just watch the fucking movie and enjoy yourself, after all it is just a movie
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
You know what I just noticed, some of you guys don't know how to just watch a movie and be "entertained," you have to analyze every single screen frame by frame until you suck all the entertainment out of it.

+ a whole hearted 1
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I would think that if the Predators were that common in  our area of space for so long, once our civilization advanced to the level of space travel seen in the Alien series we would have been stumbling across them..just a thought....

Was the Predator ship supposed to be the crashed ship in the beginning of Alien, as mentioned above? I missed that when I saw the movie. I don't even recall the  crashed ships design, other than the fact it was really big...

I thought it was odd that none of the Predator funeral detail was able to see the gestating alien in their fallen comrade, as it was shown during the movie that they were capable of seeing that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like a turd.  Too bad, I'm a big Alien/Aliens fan.

I guess I'll wait for the directors cut DVD to see if it is any better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]
<cue-up "Hampster Dance" music>

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I would think that if the Predators were that common in  our area of space for so long, once our civilization advanced to the level of space travel seen in the Alien series we would have been stumbling across them..just a thought....

Was the Predator ship supposed to be the crashed ship in the beginning of Alien, as mentioned above? I missed that when I saw the movie. I don't even recall the  crashed ships design, other than the fact it was really big...

I thought it was odd that none of the Predator funeral detail was able to see the gestating alien in their fallen comrade, as it was shown during the movie that they were capable of seeing that.

You've got a good point with that last remark. Were any of the predators wearing their masks though? I don't remember, except for the elder/leader that wasn't wearing his.

As far as the ship in the first Alien movie, it was a ship that was piloted by an alien that has been named the space jockey, which is of course a member of a distinctly different race we never see anything else about in the series. If they do an Alien 5, they would do well to get rid of Ripley, ignore the Alien 4 storyline (explain it as a nightmare because it was so goddamn horrible and stupid), and explain the relationship with the space jockies.

In the director’s commentary of Alien on the Quadrilogy DVD, Ridley Scott says it was supposed to be a biological bomber of sorts if I recall correctly. However, I recently read that one of the people that conceptualized Alien said that the space jockey was somehow inadvertantly infected and crashed there after dying and that it was not a biological seeding ship. However, that doesn’t make much sense considering the way the thousands of eggs are arranged in the ship’s hold, and the blue field/layer above it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If they do an Alien 5, they would do well to get rid of Ripley, ignore the Alien 4 storyline (explain it as a nightmare because it was so goddamn horrible and stupid), and explain the relationship with the space jockies.

Better yet, pretend Alien 3 and 4 never existed and base it off the Dark Horse comics series.  There is more than enough good material in the first series to make at least one great movie.  Follow that up with a movie based on the second series (after the first two, the DH Aliens series got progressively worse).
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

From what I've heard, there wasn't much 'entertainment' to be sucked out of this one to begin with.

There are plenty of movies I watch for pure entertainment, but for other, I have higher expectations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top