Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 4:50:28 PM EDT
Was watching "Secret Weapons" on Nat'l Geographic channel tonight. They did a segment on a scientist who is working on making body armor out of spider webs. He made the comparison that enough spider web material could stop a bullet the same way it stops a fly. But to get enough webbing, they genetically altered GOATS to produce spider web protein in their milk. So they milk the goats, separate off the milk, then "spin" the webbing through mechanical spinnerettes.

That is some weird science.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Dude, its true.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I for one welcome our new goat-spider overlords.

Oops... wrong forum. :)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I seen that one too. I like where they showed the lady that spun spiderwebs into clothes
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Several times I've gone into the woods and collected a loop of spiderwebs, mostly from those weird spikey spiders.  Just the long load-bearing spiderweb, of course, not the centeral sticky part.  I've gotten a 4 inch thread that can lift at least five pounds, and it's as narrow as sewing thread.

Anywho, I've heard of the spiderweb milk before, but I've never seen a picture of it.  Have they actually suceeded in making web from genetically altered milk?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top