Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 2:30:13 PM EDT
Saw a very nice .45 1911 style today, very nice looking pistol and priced pretty good too, made in the U.S.A. in Philly i think. I have never heard of them, okay all you 1911 experts lets have it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Good handgun, unfortunately, RIA is no more. Expect prices to go up.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Come on guy's lets hear it
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yall can beat this,surely
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
nobody knows nothing about Rock Island Armory?????????, and yall call yourselves 1911 EXPERTS
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Aren't they made in the Phillipines?

I thought they and C.Daly were made in the same factory.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I know sgn has em for about $289.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Who is SGN?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=9583

The one RIA I have is reliable, and fun to shoot.

Easily customizable!

Buy one!

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
charles daly, armscor and Rock island all complete the Phillipine Trifecta, they are all the same, and not worthy of the time or effort. If you want a made in the USA gun, get a Kimber
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish i could afford one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Great Pistol, no issues with the 2 I 've owned.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
they are all the same, and not worthy of the time or effort.

Very wrong.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't had any experience with the RIA guns so I can't comment but you might want to do a search over at 1911forums for more info.

forums.1911forum.com/

The other things to consider if you're looking for a rock-bottom price 1911 would be a springfield milspec GI or a used norinco.  If you can spend a little more I think the Colt 1991's can be had for mid $500's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they are all the same, and not worthy of the time or effort.

Very wrong.

not by the ones I have seen come through our shop, NIB guns with serious barrel fitting issues, parts not fitted right, jamming, feedramp geometry issues, and poor accuracy.  Now sure a quality specimen can slip out, just like a crappy Glock, SIG, or HK can go out.  But overall most of the ones we sold had issues. for a bone stock gun spend another $300 and get a Kimber Custom II. Won't need any work except night sights if you fancy those.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought one about four months ago at a gun show in Nashville. It shoots great with the original 8 round magazine but GI mags FTF a bit. Maybe the springs are too stiff? Mine suits me fine, but then I'm not a namebrand snob.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
not a matter of being a namebrand snob, its the know what is a good investment.  I used to love colts with a passion, buy one, start installing match grade parts and it gets pricey quick.  Out of the box Kimber has a match grade barrel, if you lucky and get a series that  has a bushingsless bull barrel, hold your shorts those suckers will shoot. RIAs are good for build up projects, but once you finish the barrel, frame/slide fitting and sights, you are already at the cost of a Kimber with still more to do. But then again maybe you are one of those guys you makes a million a year and can afford to blow money all over town.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
charles daly, armscor and Rock island all complete the Phillipine Trifecta, they are all the same, and not worthy of the time or effort. If you want a made in the USA gun, get a Kimber

Apparently you have never seen or shot one. They are VERY good for the money.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually yes I have, an I even attempted to use one for an IDPA match( fellow CDP shooter was having issues with his gun), nothing but problems, using lead it was shearing half the tip off of the rounds.  I think you money is better spent on a Norinco if you are looking for a budget 1911.  See my post above, we used to sell them in the shop too. So yes I have seen, handled, shot, and fixed them.  But I will say this they have an excellent Customer Service department. If you can prove my on hands experience then please do. Just don't quote that Guns and Ammo article that said they were great, earleir this year they also said the Hi Point 45ACP was a good gun too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually yes I have, an I even attempted to use one for an IDPA match( fellow CDP shooter was having issues with his gun), nothing but problems, using lead it was shearing half the tip off of the rounds.  I think you money is better spent on a Norinco if you are looking for a budget 1911.  See my post above, we used to sell them in the shop too. So yes I have seen, handled, shot, and fixed them.  But I will say this they have an excellent Customer Service department. If you can prove my on hands experience then please do. Just don't quote that Guns and Ammo article that said they were great, earleir this year they also said the Hi Point 45ACP was a good gun too.

I dont doubt your experience. However I have two and none have had any problems with many rounds fired. They seem to have a few rough machine markings but nothing serious.

I like mine and think it was money well spent. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Also looking into the SA 1911, there reasonably priced, any info on those
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#22]
springfields are a good gun as well, but I would not recommend a baseline model, a lot of time they have horrible trigger pulls.  Lets back up for a second, Hydro, what are you wanting out of this 1911? If you are wanting a repo WWI/2 gun then get the milspec replica, they can be had for under $400.  But if you are wanting a carry/comp/target gun, then you need to look at features. IF you buy the gun with the features already on it, its cheaper than having to go back and add them later.  I prefer Novak sights( 3 dot or tritium) Commander hammer and beaver tail, a mag well, and a good trigger.  For the life of me I can't recall the model Springfield that meets that, but it was Gunkote OD Green, price was right at $560.  To me it is still lacking a match grade barrel, the Kimber Custom 2 is like $625 you get all the above except the sights are plain black and you get a match grade barrel on every Kimber sold.

I would suggest that you go to your local shop and dry fire all the Springfields that you can, there is a HUGE difference from their baseline model to their high end model in triggers.  To me they all should have good triggers like Kimber puts out, their baseline Custom 2 is just as smooth at their Gold Match Target.  So yes I might be a bit brand snobbish. but after building Colts up costing well over $1200, I can buy a Kimber for $800 that does all the same and has all the work done to it.  I will say this the customer service at Kimber is spotty at best.    If you look  at Kimber, try to find an old stock one with the internal extractor, I don't care for the new external ones, and we have had a few issues with them. As of 2004 they are all going to be external extractors.  However the anniversary model that is out has an internal one and is  the original series 1 style. I think it runs a hair more than a Custom 2, @ $650.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Cheap Cast junk made in the Phillipines.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You have no clue what you are talking about...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur.

Isn't it hilarious that for every butt-buddy namebrand snob of Wilson Combat, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, ect. that mocks RIA, there's about 3 RIA owners contesting their weapon is fine?

People, it's obvious, most of the people that mock the RIA's 1911s haven't even picked up the god damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Butt-buddy & name brand snob???? How impolite of you.

Whoa, whoa. There's a difference between liking brandname firearms and thinking everything that isn't one is trash.

I LIKE KIMBER! I LIKE SOME OF SPRINGFIELD'S MODELS!

But, to say RIA's 1911s are "shit" or "trash" just because Kimber or Springfield or Wilson Combat (I must admit, I have beef with WC... I see *NO* reason why a non-gold plated 1911 should cost over $2K) isn't written down the slide of the firearm is just wrong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur.

Isn't it hilarious that for every butt-buddy namebrand snob of Wilson Combat, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, ect. that mocks RIA, there's about 3 RIA owners contesting their weapon is fine?

People, it's obvious, most of the people that mock the RIA's 1911s haven't even picked up the god damn thing.

I went to a local shop to buy an RIA last year. The slide stop broke on the pistol from the display case. I was going to buy it as a "truck gun", so price was a serious issue. Needless to say , I passed. I own 4 1911s and not one cost more than $750. (2 Colts, 1 Kimber and 1 S&W) so I don't consider myself a snob. But, you get what you pay for in 1911s just like AR15s. I am sure there are some Vulcan owners who think Bushmaster owners are snobs too. Do you want a cast AR15? Spend $150 more and buy a Colt 1991.
With that said, RIA does have a place on the market. If you are looking for an cheap range gun to shoot FMJs, fine. But for a defensive handgun, I would look at a better quality weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top