Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 5:38:42 AM EDT
For speeding!

Gore gets speeding ticket while traveling in Oregon
Former vice president polite, trooper says

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ASTORIA, Ore. -- Former Vice President Al Gore was cited for speeding as he drove a rented car to visit family on the coast, authorities said.

Gore, who was alone, was issued a $141 ticket for driving 75 mph on state Route 26 in the northwest corner of the state, police said. The speed limit is 55.

Gore was issued the ticket Aug. 3 at 12:37 p.m., said Lt. Dale Rutledge, spokesman for the Oregon State Police.

The trooper who stopped Gore did not recognize him until he furnished his license, Sgt. Andrew Merila told KATU-TV.

The trooper said Gore, who carried Oregon when he ran for president in 2000, was polite throughout the encounter.

Gore has until December to decide whether to fight the ticket.

Good thing Al was polite!  He might not have survived the encounter had he kept on speeding...or gone nuts on the trooper like he does when bloviating about Dubya.

Pretty sad he has to drive himself around in a rental...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Question: Don't former VPOTUSs have SS protection?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Gore neither went off, or said 'Do you know who I am?"  A pretty civil encounter....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Pretty sad he has to drive himself around in a rental.

Not really.  I'd feel a LOT better if our "Elite Class" spent more time doing what the average Joe does.  They spend WAY too much time insulated from those that they supposedly serve.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not really.  I'd feel a LOT better if our "Elite Class" spent more time doing what the average Joe does.  They spend WAY too much time insulated from those that they supposedly serve.

Apparently my sarcasm was flawed...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
gore is an asshat but i'm not sure what the point of this thread was.  are you saying you've never gotten a speeding ticket?    
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I give a +1 to the Oregon Trooper for giving AG the ticket and not letting him go,because he was a VP once  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Gore neither went off, or said 'Do you know who I am?"  A pretty civil encounter....

Well, give that man a gold star on his forehead.....

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
gore is an asshat but i'm not sure what the point of this thread was.  are you saying you've never gotten a speeding ticket?    

Good Lord NO!  When I returned from Vietnam in 1966 with a pocket full of combat pay and re-enlistment bonus I bought my self a Shelby GT-350, the last of the true race versions.  I drove that for a few years then when I returned from 'Nam again in 1969, I traded the beat up Mustang for a Dodge Charger R/T SE 440.  I drove very fast in those days.  I got caught so often that I nearly got 30 days one time for being a shitty driver.  I stopped speeding.  Tough judge.

You must have missed my point altogether...

Recommend going back and look for two sarcastic subtopics one of which is related to another thread here.

Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For speeding!

Gore gets speeding ticket while traveling in Oregon
Former vice president polite, trooper says

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ASTORIA, Ore. -- Former Vice President Al Gore was cited for speeding as he drove a rented car to visit family on the coast, authorities said.

Gore, who was alone, was issued a $141 ticket for driving 75 mph on state Route 26 in the northwest corner of the state, police said. The speed limit is 55.

Gore was issued the ticket Aug. 3 at 12:37 p.m., said Lt. Dale Rutledge, spokesman for the Oregon State Police.

The trooper who stopped Gore did not recognize him until he furnished his license, Sgt. Andrew Merila told KATU-TV.

The trooper said Gore, who carried Oregon when he ran for president in 2000, was polite throughout the encounter.

Good thing Al was polite!  He might not have survived the encounter had he kept on speeding...or gone nuts on the trooper like he does when bloviating about Dubya.

I didn't think there was that many idiots in Oregon?

On a different note...Why is the speed limit 55 mph on a major road or is it a major road?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, give that man a gold star on his forehead.....

Well the JBT Oregon Trooper neither said "Git yo' arse outta da car! Befo I bust a cap in yo' arse!" or "I don't care if you are the man who invented the internet. You are getting a ticket!"

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
He was recently robbed while on a trip overseas as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#13]

I didn't think there was that many idiots in Oregon?

On a different note...Why is the speed limit 55 mph on a major road or is it a major road?

BigDozer66

1. Unfortunately, there are. I cannot believe the complete idiots that get elected here and the ones that vote for them. It is probably a modern miracle we have shall issue and haven't gone the way of CA and a few other states.

2. Our great leaders (and voters) have determined that we need to be alive to pay Orygins inflated taxes. Therefore they have decreed that we shall drive 55 and that we are not smart enough to pump our own gas without blowing ourselves up.

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Actually, I bet he's tickled pink. I think he's a twit, but 8 years of not being able to just go to the store, or a movie, or what have you without an armed entourage has got to get pretty old.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#15]
From a man that was the 42nd president (40 second president) to a pot smoking low life who drives rental cars... Now that's funny.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yup...He should get the average Joe treatment a la Rodney King.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

good point
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought he was the 'environment' president, doing 75mph is sucking down the irreplacable fossil fuels at a very high rate.  

Doesn't he care anymore about the envirionment?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Too bad he didnt have a dog.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought he was the 'environment' president, doing 75mph is sucking down the irreplacable fossil fuels at a very high rate.  

Doesn't he care anymore about the envirionment?

The officer should have tased him and then shot his dog for this infraction...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#21]

He'll BORE is way out of this one
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]
The man that wanted to do away with the internal combustion engine, driving a car, I am shocked!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Now we're starting to see some good posts!

AlGore's lucky the lawman didn't ram him from behind!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top