Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 5:18:14 AM EDT

Every Internet user should know about spoof (a.k.a. phishing or hoax) e-mails that appear to be from a well-known company but can put you at risk.

Although they can be difficult to spot, they generally ask you to click a link back to a spoof web site and provide, update or confirm sensitive personal information. To bait you, they may allude to an urgent or threatening condition concerning your account.

Even if you don't provide what they ask for, simply clicking the link could subject you to background installations of key logging software or viruses.    
www.citibank.com/domain/spoof/learn.htm

I was reporting a suspicious email this morning and noticed this about spoofs!

There seems to be a great number of people who just click on links in their email and this is something that I was not aware of.

Hopefully no one here would do that?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one from Spoofed Paypal? e-mail about three weeks ago.

Said my account had been compromised and please resubmit info.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not personally know anyone that has done this or had it done to them.

Does anyone here know personally anyone that has had their Identity stolen?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump because some must not be heeding the warnings!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one recently from Ebay... looked authentic, because it was formatted the same as a few other emails I got due to some bidding activity.  It said they needed to verify some information and provided a link.  I skipped the link and logged into Ebay normally.  It didn't ask me to update anything, so I ignored the email.  It was VERY authentic looking... be wary guys... don't click the link in the email... go directly to the site and log in normally...  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
NO repetuable compay will EVER ask you to send personal info in an email form or to click on a link to do so.

Ever.

You can tell the scammers because the linke wont  go to the real site.

Just ignore them - or report them to the people they are trying to spoof.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
NO repetuable compay will EVER ask you to send personal info in an email form or to click on a link to do so.

Ever.

You can tell the scammers because the linke wont  go to the real site.

Just ignore them - or report them to the people they are trying to spoof.

listen to this guy
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I work for a big company ahd hear about this sort of thing every day.  My advise, if ANY reputible company contacts you and asks for personal info then 99% of the time it is a fraud.  Contact the company through known means and report the atmept.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually get e-mails tittled fromsomeone I know, but in my junk mail bin. They always have a huge K & my wife told me they are virisus waiting to be unleashed on our(now her) computer. Now I just dump all mail that isn't invited.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one of these from my "bank" asking for all my personal info, pin, ssn, etc. I'm not so easily fooled, but will have to run the spyware check. I have a pretty good firewall all should be well. I took screen captures and sent them to the bank.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Another scam is the fake escrow companies for large internet purchases.  I had someone try to pull that crap on a pro video camera on Amazon.com.  Never, never agree to send funds via Western Union.  You have no recourse to collect your money.  

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top