Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 3:53:02 AM EDT
Fucking amazing.

www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,1029447,00.html

Police charge 2 lifeguards for swimming 4 miles in harbor

Published in the Asbury Park Press 8/18/04
By SHERRY FIGDORE
KEYPORT BUREAU

ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS -- Two off-duty lifeguards precipitated a massive air and water search early yesterday morning when they decided to swim back to Sandy Hook from the Municipal Harbor after attending a banquet earlier in the evening near the harbor. Harbor Security guards contacted borough police at 1:40 a.m. to report that they saw two men strip down to their bathing suits, then run to the end of Pier 5 and dive into the water.

Patrolmen David W. Rossbach and Richard Glietz found that the men, Craig Scanlan, 24, and Kevin Vanbuskirk, 21, both summer lifeguards at the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area, told friends they were going to swim back to the Hook, a distance of about 4 miles.

Because the pair had been drinking and of the hour and distance, police asked the First Aid Squad and Fire Department to conduct a water search of the harbor.

The initial search found no one, police said, and the search was widened to include the Leonardo First Aid Squad Dive Team, Middletown First Aid Squad Dive Team, Fairview First Aid Squad Dive Team, Lincroft First Aid Squad Dive Team, the Navesink Fire Company, Middletown Fire Department Air Cascade Unit, the New York City Police Department Aviation Unit, National Park Service Rangers at Sandy Hook and the U.S. Coast Guard at Sandy Hook.

Helicopters and boats found nothing.

At 3:40 a.m., the pair emerged from the water in Sandy Hook's Fort Hancock area, where they were detained by park rangers until Atlantic Highlands Detective Thomas Stone and Patrolman Glietz arrived to take them into custody.

Scanlan of Wardell Avenue, Rumson, and Vanbuskirk of Wexford, Pa., both were charged with disorderly conduct and violation of a borough ordinance forbidding swimming in the busy harbor. They were released on their own recognizance.

A national park spokeswoman said the two, living on Sandy Hook for the summer, said they swam the 4 miles through the inky waters by focusing on the beam from the Sandy Hook Lighthouse.

Borough police are exploring the possibility of making the two pay for some or all of the cost of the nighttime search operation.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Because the pair had been drinking and of the hour and distance

Boo fucking hoo. These two jackasses decide to swim 4 miles through an off-limits harbor at 3:00am after drinking?

Is it any wonder a search was launched?

That's kind of like the out of state jackasses that come to Phoenix in July and start hiking up desert mountains at 3:00pm with no water.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the problem with zero-tolerance culture in law enforcement today.  The officers should have been able to say

You guys are a bunch of jackasses

Slap them on the wrist, everyone goes home.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
They can't search worth a shit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you say big brother intrudes again ?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Boo fucking hoo. These two jackasses decide to swim 4 miles through an off-limits harbor at 3:00am after drinking?

That's kind of like the out of state jackasses that come to Phoenix in July and start hiking up desert mountains at 3:00pm with no water.

2 guys who know they can swim 4 miles are not your standard jackasses.  They were obviously at home in the water.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Borough police are exploring the possibility of making the two pay for some or all of the cost of the nighttime search operation.

WTF
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That's the problem with zero-tolerance culture in law enforcement today.  The officers should have been able to say

What do you think a disorderly conduct ticket is?

That, in general, is usually seen as a 'slap on the wrist'...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Immagine the mess if they got run over by a boat (who wouldn't be looking for swimmers in a harbor where swimming is ILLEGAL...

No swimming....

No tresspassing...

No dogs allowed...

READ THE SIGNS, FOLKS!!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Where in the story does it say that swimming in the harbor is illegal?

Quoted:
Immagine the mess if they got run over by a boat (who wouldn't be looking for swimmers in a harbor where swimming is ILLEGAL...
quote]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They can't search worth a shit.

HAHA! Thats what I was thinking too!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder what amount the two should invoice the jackass city for their training exercise. (Obviously wasn't an actual SAR mission, given the results)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Scanlan of Wardell Avenue, Rumson, and Vanbuskirk of Wexford, Pa., both were charged with disorderly conduct and violation of a borough ordinance forbidding swimming in the busy harbor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Ahhhh....Nevermind.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
quote]

Scanlan of Wardell Avenue, Rumson, and Vanbuskirk of Wexford, Pa., both were charged with disorderly conduct and violation of a borough ordinance forbidding swimming in the busy harbor.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live 15 minutes from this area and that Harbor is not busy that time of night.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
That water has to be so polluted that they were real dumb asses for doing it ---
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#20]
"to report that they saw two men strip down to their bathing suits, then run to the end of Pier 5 and dive into the water."

If you want to challenge yourself and do something risky, just slip into the water
without anybody noticing and go for it.

They got in trouble because they showed off.

GM
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#21]
These two did not request the search. They did not need the search. They weren't rescued. The search was a failure. Why should they have to pay for it?

I'm on a water rescue team and a SAR team and the only thing we ever chagre a person for is vehicle recovery. The rescue helos charge them if they get medevaced by the helo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]

The last friend I had that was charged with disorderly conduct lost his car, was put in jail for seven days, and lost his job since he wasn't able to show-up.  You call that a slap on the wrist?z
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#23]
This is BS... some people have the skills to complete these activities and how friggin busy can the harbor be at 3am?

- BUCC_Guy

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That water has to be so polluted that they were real dumb asses for doing it ---

Why is that ?
Sandy hook beach is nice, where do you get your info cyanide?
Do you post shit just to see your words on the screen?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that ?
Sandy hook beach is nice, where do you get your info cyanide?
Do you post shit just to see your words on the screen?

Sorry I thought medical trash (needles)  and all kinds of shit washed up there . Maybe I have been misinformed, I bow to your local knowledge of the area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#26]
This is Sandyhook

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Misdemeanor citation ahndled as a criminal infraction. essentially a traffic ticket.  Fine will be under $100.00
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Swimming through the harbor is kinda like Jogging on/across the freeway...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#30]
That's not the best use of judgement I have seen. I suppose if a boater ran them over and killed them it would be the boater's fault.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#31]
The Man thinks he knows best.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Any idea how pissed I'd be if I got arrested for SWIMMING.

Just because it is a law, doesn't mean it isn't a really stupid fucking law.

These are like the laws that say I can't cut down my tree and my property without permission.

Fuck you.

Too many stupid laws. Too many REAL crimes not being taken care of to bother with this ridiculous horseshit.

This is offensive to the spirit that FOUNDED this country and made us free.

"Oh no, we couldn't throw their tea in the harbor, THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL..."

Fucking embarassing.

AMEN!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Misdemeanor citation ahndled as a criminal infraction. essentially a traffic ticket.  Fine will be under $100.00

DP's in jersey can go a $1000.00
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I almost have to wonder what public reaction would have been if:

After the the police received a call from security about two guys jumping in the channel (breaking the law),  the police  didn't do anything and  the life guards drowned?  I'm betting that the P.D. would have got sued and the officers possibly fired for dereliction of duty.  

I have to wonder if the police knew that these guys were lifeguards or perhaps two people attempting suicide?  What did the PD know?

With the limited information I think the PD responded appropriately.  It's a CYA world out there!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I live 15 minutes from this area and that Harbor is not busy that time of night.

Hope you don't take offense at this, but I guess you haven't been there at that time of the early morning as I have, many times. Between 3 and 4:30 all of the tuna boats are flying out of the harbor to make their runs out to to the canyon and get there at sunup. Certainly the time of the worst visibility, and one of the busiest with departures.

Odds of getting hit by a fishing boat while swimming in the direction they swam at the time that they swam are about as high as they could possibly get.

Swimming in a fishing harbor is just stupid, and put the boat captains at risk of hitting them, resulting in legal and lawsuit problems for the captains. I agree they should have been arrested just as if they were running drunk across the turnpike at night.

edited because I had a severe case of typos
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Any idea how pissed I'd be if I got arrested for SWIMMING.

Just because it is a law, doesn't mean it isn't a really stupid fucking law.

These are like the laws that say I can't cut down my tree and my property without permission.

Fuck you.

Too many stupid laws. Too many REAL crimes not being taken care of to bother with this ridiculous horseshit.

This is offensive to the spirit that FOUNDED this country and made us free.

"Oh no, we couldn't throw their tea in the harbor, THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL..."

Fucking embarassing.

+1.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#37]
My head is ready to explode from the lack of freedom in this country.

You jump into the water, busy harbor or not, you take your chances.  

Why the fuck was this a problem?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Excellent commentary, sir!
I bow to your level-headedness.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The Man thinks he knows best.

Amen, Brother.......AMEN.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#40]
An entire search was called just so they could give these two a disorderly conduct ticket?

Justice prevails.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent commentary, sir!
I bow to your level-headedness.

Thanks.  I just call em as I see em.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I think they should have to pay for the search if they were found....but the "search" came up empty....so should the bill.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm just happy that someone found a use for the icon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Because when assholes get hurt as a result of their own stupidity, then they (or their families) SUE everyone in sight.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top