BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 2:30:27 AM EDT
Issue Date: August 23, 2004

‘A stripe of different colors’
Uniform pattern will stay, but perhaps not with blue and gray

By Gordon Trowbridge
Times staff writer

Fashion update: Tiger stripes are still in, but blue and gray may be out. And a new outfit is all but guaranteed.

Air Force officials are almost certain to adopt a new utility uniform this fall, the service’s top personnel official said. Leaders are likely to keep many of the uniform’s new features, but may dump the blue-gray-green color scheme now being tested.

“We’re pretty pleased with the wear and the design. We are … now down to discussing color and patterns and the hat,” Lt. Gen. Roger Brady, deputy chief of staff for personnel, said in an Aug. 9 interview with Air Force Times reporters and editors.

“People like the striped motif, so you may still see a stripe of different colors.”

Brady said Chief of Staff Gen. John Jumper still hopes to make a decision by late this fall. Officials have said mass production of a replacement for the current battle dress uniform would take 18 to 24 months, and that phasing out the BDU could take five years.

The Air Force is wrapping up a test involving about 600 of the proposed uniforms. It has gotten mixed reactions since airmen first saw it a year ago. While many airmen like the idea of a utility uniform distinct from those of sister services, many have been harshly critical of the blue and gray tiger stripe design.

In letters to Air Force Times, readers have made comparisons to everything from Hawaiian shirts to Smurfs.

That mirrors feedback airmen have given the Air Force, Brady said. In a scientific survey in which about 13,000 of 25,000 troops responded, and in about 80,000 responses to an open-feedback Web site, reaction has been mixed, he said.

“People love the fit,” Brady said. “They love the durability of it. They like the stripes. They’re less enamored with the color. And the hat gets mixed reviews.”

Brady said responses on the open-feedback site are generally more negative than results of the scientific survey. But that may reflect the fact that those opposed to the design are more likely to log on and fill out the feedback form. The 80,000 responses on the Web form may also include multiple responses from the same airmen, officials said.

Based on the feedback, Brady said, it’s likely officials will recommend to Jumper a new uniform similar in design to the one now being tested, featuring wash-and-wear fabric, a blouse that can be worn tucked or untucked and no-polish suede boots.

But he indicated that the Vietnam-era stripes, the eight-cornered Seabee-style hat and especially the color scheme are all open for change.

It’s unlikely that officials would run a second test of a new pattern or color scheme, he said.

The new Air Force utility uniform would add to a fashion show’s worth of new military clothing. The Marine Corps is phasing in its new combat uniforms, woodland and desert versions of a pixelated camouflage pattern. The Army also has adopted pixels, but plans to dump woodland and desert versions for a single tan, green and gray version with more than two dozen changes from the old BDU.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You should put a warning on this thread.  Do not look at this if its 530 in the morning and you have no lights on.  I have pink and yellow burned into my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks like rainbow ice cream...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Gotta love the Air Force guys...and girls!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the pattern and design of the USAF threads. But I see no point in the color blue at all. Give em gray/black tiger stripes or an urban type design. Or just stick to OD. I'm sure the USAF guys and gals will be happy as long as they don't have to wear something goofy looking.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
You're wrong - someone will get promoted for this!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]

By Gordon Trowbridge
Times staff writer

Fashion update: Tiger stripes are still in, but blue and gray may be out. And a new outfit is all but guaranteed.

Only an Airforce Times writer would refer to a uniform as an 'outfit.'

How utterly fucking ghey.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
“People like the striped motif, so you may still see a stripe of different colors.”
Motif? Did he actually say "Motif"? Oh man...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I've probably mentioned it before but my wife is a light colonel in the USAF and she HATES this uniform. Of course she's not a big fan of woodland BDU's either. To quote her.." If I wanted to dress like I was in the Army I would have joined the Army". The AF already has a "distinctive" uniform, and it's blue. Only a small percentage (something like 15% I think.) of AF personel need a combat uniform and they won't be wearing the blue and gray stripped abortion anyway.  Still better than the Navy dungarees that I was forced to wear back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Your wife is not an Army Vetrinarian is she?

Quoted:
I've probably mentioned it before but my wife is a light colonel in the USAF and she HATES this uniform. Of course she's not a big fan of woodland BDU's either. To quote her.." If I wanted to dress like I was in the Army I would have joined the Army". The AF already has a "distinctive" uniform, and it's blue. Only a small percentage (something like 15% I think.) of AF personel need a combat uniform and they won't be wearing the blue and gray stripped abortion anyway.  Still better than the Navy dungarees that I was forced to wear back in the day.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I took a tour of a US COAST GUARD SHIP last year and the crew wore the exact blue uniform as the USAF wears [light blue shirt with white undershirt, dark blue service dress slacks, black leather 'low quarters", blue canvas belt with satin silver dress buckle and the same af blue "service cap" with visor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
And after the uniform is in the field, the AF will require plain 'ol black and OD subdued insignia.

Wartime usually allows an organization to cut out the BS, but this is another good example of the USAF's detachment from reality.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The 80,000 responses on the Web form may also include multiple responses from the same airmen, officials said.

DAMN!  THEY ARE ON TO ME!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's a pretty typical attitude in the Air Force, barely any Warrior ethos .  Plus, most Airmen couldn't fight their way out of wet paper bag with the exception of PJ's and the AF's Foward Observer troops (Tough dudes).  Hell, one Airman told me if shit were to happen in the rear with them that he would basically give up , needless to say this ole Soldier was NOT impressed!

I work for the Air Force as a Civilian now so I am pretty amused at times!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
no-polish suede boots.
nuts
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Gotta love the Air Force guys...and girls!

Fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 80,000 responses on the Web form may also include multiple responses from the same airmen, officials said.

DAMN!  THEY ARE ON TO ME!!

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Queer eye for the military guy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Coast Guard has dark blue BDUs man... the tucked in blouse is friggin stupid though. The Air Force looking shit is one of the dress uniforms.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You should put a warning on this thread.  Do not look at this if its 530 in the morning and you have no lights on.  I have pink and yellow burned into my eyes.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I refuse to get drawn into a discussion that would force me to tease the hell out of the airforce.

Its just too damn easy to make fun of the airforce - THEY make it easy.

The only target larger is Bay Watch, aka Coast Guard.

LOL...!

Yep but everybody seems to love our toys!

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=266237

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=266154

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=266246
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Did Willis from Different Strokes join the Air Force?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

the step sister in Different Strokes was a drug addict and robbed a Hollywood video store, I dont know what ever became of Willis?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the step sister in Different Strokes was a drug addict and robbed a Hollywood video store, I dont know what ever became of Willis?

I was talking about the picture... all of those kids were all pretty f'ed up after that show.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Personally, I think DOD should mandate 'working' uniforms for ALL services, well, uniformly...

1 BDU pattern, in urban/desert/woodland/arctic/etc color patterns...

1 utility uniform, in olive drab

And one 'office' uniform, kakhi pants & a white shirt.

Let them keep their 'distinctive' Class A's, but the rest should be the same....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If it were up to me (and it's not),  the Air Force's utility uniform would be a modernized version of the Vietnam era green fatigues.   Simple, efficient, and durable.    Any AF personnel going into a combat zone would be issued  BDUS appropriate to the theater.

I don't have a problem with the new AF uniform, though, even the blue version.

However, I don't like the changes they made to the service dress uniforms a few years ago.  The chromed insignia, rather than matte finished and highlighted sterling silver,  SUCKS.  And the uniforms themselves (at least the blue service coat) looks like a refugee from a bad disco movie.  (Was there another kind of disco movie?)

That being said, I'm former AF and will always support them no matter what they are forced to wear.

CJ

Beats the 'Bus Driver' uniform...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#33]
My 2 cents on the uniform is just to keep the same pattern and go with a dark/slate grey. Just keep it one solid color that is "distinct" for them and pracctical for 90% of the AF that wears BDU's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top