Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 9:53:33 PM EDT
Probably a bad question for the net, but I really need to strengthen my neck and upper body.  My neck is my biggest problem for pain and tension.  Without belonging to a gym (can't afford it), how can I strengthen it?  Any particular exercises that work well without putting a lot of undue strain on it?  I need to start out easy.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Hang 20 lb weights off your head and lift it up and down?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You can strengthen your neck muscles (posterior) by doing one of those back strengthening exercises. You lay flat on your stomach with your arms stretched out like Superman. Now try to make a letter 'c' by arching your back and bringing your arms and legs toward the ceiling. You do this while keeping your arms and legs straight.

I hope you can visualize what I'm talking about. It's a pretty common back exercise. It works the muscles on the back of your neck at the same time. I don't know how to work out the other neck muscles without using those neck machines in the gym.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, thanks.  Sounds a little better than hanging weights off my neck
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
You can go to jail be somebody's bitch for 30 days ... that might do it ...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, thanks.  Sounds a little better than hanging weights off my neck

You can always hang them off your ears.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoulder crunches.

Hold a 10 lb or less weight in each hand with your feet directly under each each shoulder.
Keep you back comfortably straight.

Shrug/lift your shoulders upwards towards your ears slowly as far as you can/ Hold for three seconds. Slowly release.

Do 10 sets of 5 every other day for 3 weeks.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Bridging.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top