Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 8:25:23 PM EDT
"In order for an organization to be classified as a 401©(3) corporation (non-profit organization), it must be non-partisan."

True or not?

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello?...Is thing on? [taps mike]

Is this true? Is this what churches fall under and keeps them from endorsing a candidate?

Thanks,
S.O.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You are correct.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
This link might help:

www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=96099,00.html

At the moment I am embroiled in a one man battle against some organizations that file under this status while endorsing a particular platform.  As soon as I get my ducks in a row and my facts ironclad, I will post the whole story.  

-RO
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You are correct.

Well, except for the 401 part.  It's 501.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
So it should read "501C3"? not 401C3? What are the chances the 401 part was just a typo? I dont want to post something in another forum until I have this sorted out.

Is Moveon.org listed as a 501c3?

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You are correct.

Well, except for the 401 part.  It's 501.

Good catch. It is rather late.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So it should read "501C3"? not 401C3? What are the chances the 401 part was just a typo? I dont want to post something in another forum until I have this sorted out.

S.O.

Moveon.org is a 527 group, just like the RNC and DNC.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

S.O.

Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code deals with the various types of non-profit organizations.  Some non-profits can engage in political efforts, some can't.  Those that wish to have donations to them be tax deductible are classified as 501(c)3 organizations, or 501(a) [I think] for churches.  There are a bunch of classifications, all with different rules for different types.

For example, one of my clients, the Fraternal Order of Eagles is a 501(c)8, which is a fraternal organization.  They don't pay income taxes, but donations to them are not tax deductible.  There are other classifications for schools, home owners associations, benefit societies, private foundations, etc.

I doubt Moveon.org is a 501c3 since they are an advocate group.   In fact, I think they are one of the new so-called "527" organizations that sprung up in the wake of the McCain-Feingold "protect the incumbents at all costs and screw the voters" bill.  You can't deduct any money you give them, but they won't have to pay taxes on anything they get (income taxes anyway, they're not exempt from things like property tax, payroll taxes, etc.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top