Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 7:41:41 PM EDT
I'm a northener. Were I grew up there were cows, but most as quaint meadow accoutrements on New England farms, fed eventually to be slaughtered for the meat by the owners. Not dairy herds of giant herds of meat cows. Even though they were common enough, I'd never heard of cow tipping until college in NY. This first came to me via a girl from Oklahoma who said she jad friends who did it all the time. She said she'd never done it, but it happened all the time. SInce then I've met people who said they've done it, those said said they knew of people who've done it, and those that said it's BS and it can't be done.

As supporting evidence....

Anti Cow Tipping legislation

The actual bill

Sooooo, what's the deal. Anybody knocked over a cow for recreational purposes?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a bull I would like to see some city kid try to tip...

Talk about your weapons of mass destruction!

I don't normally name cattle, but if I was going to name that bastard, "Mayhem" would get my vote.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes-Fact!!!  Used to do it about 30 miles out of Yuma-in a town called Wellton.  Huge cattle ranch there.  Every year, it is tradition for the football players to do it.  It ain't easy.  Unless you are about 240 solid, and reasonably fast, don't attempt it!!!  You will need to do it with a few other dudes, and you will all need to hit at the same time a little high on the cow.  Usually groups of players from different positions will do it together-Defensive Line, Linebackers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
sad to say I know first hand, it is a facdt
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Where do you find cows dumb enough to get tipped? I know they're dumb, I ranch a herd of thirty, but never could manage to tip one. My fault? They are always awake [when standing up - thanks beerslayer].
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Does a cow get hurt when it gets tipped?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

only if it lands on another cows horns
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
around here everyone just popped 'em with a bb gun to piss 'em off.

Never did understand what was so fun about that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I am from the deep south and was raised in the country.  I have personally never tipped a cow or seen a  cow tipped.  Or had any sort of desire to ever tip a cow.  I had assumed it was a rural legend but from the other other posts it appears to be a truism.   Hmmm.  Those folks at PETA have another grosse injustice to worry about.  
We did however make crossbow slingshots out of surgical tubing and 2X4's with which we launched countless smoke bombs, cherry bombs and M80's at unsuspecting bovines.  Luckily we were never caught and never had our behinds filled with rock salt.  Disclaimer: No cows were physically hurt in the aforementioned antics.  Well, they may have been scarred emotionally for life......
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

One who said to me that they have done it, said you could break a cows's ribs.(?)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
that would be true, that if a cow falls over it would break it's ribs.

personally I've tried to herd the damn things and I don't know how you could tip them.  When they are up they are awake, and if you get around them they get nervous.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually cow-tipping can be fatal to the cow.  They have five stomachs that are suspended in sequence, and the fall can wrap one stomach over another causing a condition called volvulus which completely obstructs the gastro-intestinal tract.  The cow vomits, develops sepsis and gangrene and then dies.

Some local college kids tipped a $3000 dairy Holstein on the farm where I was living in the little farm house (separate from the actual Dairy).  It was a horrible death.

We had some sherriffs come out, supplied them with NVGs the next weekend and they caught three members of the rugby team.  Criminal mischief, trespassing, and a hefty fine later they were out of jail and off the team (Boo Fuckin' Hoo)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
My dad told me about a lightheavyweight boxer named Archie Moore.(not related to fat basterd Moore) Dad said that he saw on a news reel," Archie wrapped a little hankerchief around his fist, and then puncheda yearling bull in the neck and knocked it down!" You can look up Archie at boxrec.com
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in farm country and never witnesses it being done.  I also never saw cows sleeping standing up
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I just always assumed that it was an excuse for the cow-humping toothless wonders when they got caught out in a field late at night.  

"Clem?  Thet you?  Whut in tarnation is you doin out here at 4AM with thet cow?"

"Oh, uh, hey Bocephus.... I's just...uh.... that is..... cow tippin!  Yeah, thets it!"
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#20]
WE don't believe in tipping; we believe in over-tipping."
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I think I would really enjoy seeing some kids try to "tip" some of the cows we used to own. In almost the same way I "enjoyed" watching you guys react to Necromancer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I saw Beavis and Butthead do it once on t.v.

Well, that's it, it must be true then!

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Having lived on a dairy farm for many moons before joining the service, cows sleep lying down. If you try to run up on them to "tip them over", all you will do is start them running.
Cow tipping is a funnier version of snipe hunting. You get some mroons to run up in a bunch of cattle and watch the cows run off and some idiot trying to chase them down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#24]
If you read the bill, it is not about cow-tipping at all.  It is a PETA inspired attempt to outlaw rodeo's and practice for same.  Cow tipping is already illegal.  Trespassing, damage to private property, etc.  Back door animal rights legislation.

Jame Retief
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#25]
this reminds me of the stupid turkeys drowning myth
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#26]
As a farm boy who has raised cattle, I can attest that cattle sleep lying down.  Unless the cow is awake and veeeery tame, there is no chance of a cow getting tipped.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone who has been in the service can tell you that you can sleep standing up.

Tj

The last statement is true.

Or even while marching, if you are tired enough
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Cow tipping can kill the cow if you are not careful.   If the cow gets laying down with its head down hill, thye cannot get up by them selves. We have lost several cows this way (not from tipping, but being head down hill).

You have to get to them fairly soon for them to be able to get back up even with your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top