Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 7:02:56 PM EDT
Let me start off by saying I'm a pretty level headed guy who works hard as a retail manager. Cabellas is opening a new store right across the state line from me in WV and in the ad sent out to my area is a Springfield XD for $329. It's a damn good price in my opinion so I figured I'd call Gander Mountain here in PA for a price match. A friend, as well as myself, had called the same day and were told they were getting dozens of calls and they would match the price. Well I took a ride out to GM last night and was met  with a hostile associate behind the gun counter. I was looking in the pistol case for a few minuetes and was totally ignored by this guy. Oh BTW I was the only person standing there. I finally asked if he had and XD's. He said "Oh what do you want the cabellas price on that?" I replied that I had spoken to someone earlier and thay said it wasn't a problem. I was then informed sice i was from PA and Cabellas was in WV they wouldn't match it sice i couldn't go there and buy it. I promptly replied that I was told they "GM" would match the price on the phone and I can buy from WV as I can have it sent to a local dealer for a transfer. I was then told, well ya you could but we don't have any and the sale price with cabellas is for 5 days and I couldn't get on from GM that soon and there for the price wouldn't be valid any way. I asked to talk to a manager and he said something about them not being there and , "what do you want to do call them at home or something?" I'm very turned off to the whole experience and I'm willing to make a little nit of a deal out of it with management. Anyone have any problems with GM and a similar ordeal?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like you got a bad employee, or an employee having a bad day.
GM's in Columbus are always great.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience with Gander Mountain was brief . I was browsing the ammo section when a sales clerk
came up to ask if I needed help  . I  asked , Do you have any Aguila mini shells in 12ga ?

He gave me a snotty ass look and said   Sir we only handle practical  NOT TACTIAL !!

That was enough for me .

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked the gun counter at the original GM retail store in Brookfield, WI years ago.

We always went out of our way to do what we could for customers.

But of course, now that I think of it... we were all shooters.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
New sig line
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
New sig line

Oh yeah??? Well, I actually liked yours before I changed mine
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
damn still can't make a link hot after 3 years on the board
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
New sig line

Oh yeah??? Well, I actually liked yours before I changed mine

Good one NW I'm usually on here kinda late and can't think of anythink to whitty. That being said, I'm bed bound.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a so-so experience at GM Janesville. They have one guy who's an idiot at the gun counter. Both Ganders in MAdison have morons there. I have a Choate (sp?) stock with a pistol grip on my mossberg 500 (factory stock is a bit long for me) and this genoius was trying to tell me that its illegal to put a pistol grip on any firearm for hunting. Kept trying to tell him its not a pistol grip thats only a pistol grip, its a stock much like an AR15's stock. God this guy was an idiot. Went there another day to get primers for my brothers .44mag so I could load some more up for him and the guy behind the counter was like "I'm not seeling them to you if you dont know what you need." well since they didnt have Federal primers I used normally on hand, I just asked him its for a .44mag large magnum pistol. Then he gets real snotty so I flipped him off and told a customer looking at a new pistol that he could get it cheaper at  a local gun dealer. That guy started SCREAMING at the top of his lungs while I was walking out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
-snip-
I asked to talk to a manager and he said something about them not being there and , "what do you want to do call them at home or something?"
-snip-

"Yes. That would be fine."
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Had a so-so experience at GM Janesville.

Where bouts you from?  I grew up in Delavan, well, pretty much.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The only experience i've had with GM was when I was in the market for a Mossberg 590. When I asked the guy at the counter if they had one or could order one, he said they don't handle assault shotguns.

I think GM's are more of a hunting gun place than anything else is what it comes down to.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I live about 5 miles away from the Chambersburg, PA GM and to date all I have bought there has been one Columbia jacket,  about a dozen earplugs, and around 6000 rounds of Wolf .223 Clerks I think know what I'm bringing them in a couple minutes once they see me walk in the door
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Had a so-so experience at GM Janesville.

Where bouts you from?  I grew up in Delavan, well, pretty much.

Still live in Janesville. Used to drive through Delavan for 8 yrs when I worked at Geneva Vans in Lake Geneva until they closed in 01.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
GM around here are pretty cool, definately geared toward hunting on the rifles. Never had a problem here and I just bought some practice ammo from them today too, good deal on the new manufacture Israeli made .223 Winchester white box 50 count and New manufacture UMC .40 S&W 250 round bulk pack.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey R2K which GM were you in?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#17]
The GM in Appleton had two Bushmasters in the rack last time I was there....different managers different ideals?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I worked the gun counter at the original GM retail store in Brookfield, WI years ago.

The people at the GMs here in the MKE area are still pretty cool.

I remember being at the GM in Brookfield once a few years back...

I asked to check out a Beretta 92.  The guy behind the counter was very accommodating.  We talked about the proposed concealed carry amendment, about how “a 9 is fine”, and so on and so forth.

But then he looks me right in the eye, looks at the 92 I’m handling, then right back at me and says, “What are you waiting for?  You don’t have one of these at home already do ya?”  

My shoulders sink; I look down at the glass counter and slowly shake my head.

He started reaching for a collapsible folder that I’m positive held piles and piles of blank 4473s.  “Well, you want to start the paper work now…” – and it wasn’t spoken like a question – or was it?  I was scared and confused at this point and I honestly couldn’t tell – but I knew one thing:  This guy was working me, bad.  

I felt like I was prey.

I remember just giggling and quickly locking the slide back on the 92 and handing it over to him butt first.

The God’s honest truth was that I was half-a-tick away from whipping out the plastic and owning that MoFo (the price was really decent) – I immediately hauled ass out of that store without even buying what it was that I needed.  I ended up going to Fleet Farm later that week and it was the day before gun deer season so it was like being in hell – but I was too afraid to go back to GM because – Goddamnit – there was a gun salesman there that almost got the best of me – and that, my friends, will never happen again.

You prick.  (and here liberals are blaming the ‘gun lobby’ all the time - tsk)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I love it when people confuse an interaction with a low paid, probably ill trained retail clerk with a Corporation.

Just like anything else, its about people, and individual interactions with people.

While it is possible that a company may have a culture that hires asshats, I think most here would agree that you have a 50/50 chance of finding a numbnuts whenever you go into a gun store.

That said, I'm gonna go pound my nuts flat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I love it when people confuse an interaction with a low paid, probably ill trained retail clerk with a Corporation.

Just like anything else, its about people, and individual interactions with people.

While it is possible that a company may have a culture that hires asshats, I think most here would agree that you have a 50/50 chance of finding a numbnuts whenever you go into a gun store.

I disagree - onyl companies that don't really CARE too much (or like you said, have a fucked-up culture) end up with employees like that.  Retailers that actually have a serious service orientation don't hire people like that in the first place, and fire them as soon as their tendencies show.  

... of course, you could still be corrent in that right2keep may just have been the unfortunate customer that ALLOWED Gander Mountain to discover what an asshat this employee is, and fire his ass.

Right2keep - I'd definitely contact them - if nothing else just to make them aware of a bad employee, but certainly also to point out how this employee essentially refused to honor a manager's promise, LIED about there being no managers on the promises, and caused you to waste time and gas.  That's not a trivial complaint.  Personally, I'd be absolutely furious.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow...$329 for an XD...that's pretty damn good!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ever try to get them to help you buy a FAL from out of state? Not going to happen at Brookfield. "We don't deal with 'fighting guns'" says the bhind the counter guy as he leans over a case of 1911s, glocks, and surefire flashlights.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#23]
There is a Gander Mountain nearby in the city of North Canton. I only will buy things there if I don't have to talk to someone behind the gun counter. I have had 2 bad experiences with them. The first was after I picked up a really nice used shotgun and I happened to be at the GM to get some shells. I swung by the gun counter to casually ask what the new price of the model that I had just purchased used was. The guy behind the counter blurts out something like "what are you just price shopping?". That really pissed me off. The second time was when I needed a bulb for my surefire right away so I stopped in. I told him I needed a replacement 6V bulb for my surefire. The guy blurts out "we dont have any". I informed him that when I called the day before they did have them in stock and If he would mind looking. The guy walks in the back room and comes out 30 seconds later with my bulb and practically throws it at me. These 2 bad experiences happened 3 yrs apart because thats how long it took me to give them another chance. The guys that work the gun counter there are D!CKS and they will never see my money. On the other hand though, the store is really nice and the clerk/checkout girls are very nice and attentive and usually preatty hot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
damn still can't make a link hot after 3 years on the board

Dont feel bad its impossible. The code will not allow hot links in sig line.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I like Gander Mountain.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Glick Twins in Pharr, TX, has a anti-black rifle attitude as well.  The guy behind the counter told me he wouldn't order me a lower receiver becuase, "people only do illegal things with them".  Stupid fucks and their pansy ass 'hunting rifles'.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Saw that myself.  I don't know if they have any left; its probably on backorder as the grand opening happened this weekend (starting yesterday).  I too looked at that and thought about going down there, reserving it, and then finding a FFL near me to transfer it.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#28]
The prevelant attitude was that they were catering to the sporting crowd as opposed to the mil-spec crowd.  keep in mind, in places like Brookfield, WI an affluent (effluent??) suburb of Milwaukee, it's easier to move a $1,000 Browning over/under than it is a $1,000 Colt Sporter.

Also, there's a lot of new money (read: newly "think they are" wealthy) that come into the store with zero trigger time and a lifetime of mainstream media exposure.  They think black is bad on guns.

Righ or wrong, GM and companies like it exist for one reason: to peel as many Benjamin's out of your wallet as they can.

You also have to figure, in many not all cases in the time it takes one guy to save up for that Bushmaster he's been lusting over, these metrosexual's can buy the $1k Browning, the $2k Beretta, plus all the clothing and accessories to go with it for that "sporting" image.

Now you and I both would agree that a marketing scheme like that is bullshit, but you are free to take your money elsewhere.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hey R2K which GM were you in?

Moon Twp PA
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey!!!! GM saved me $118 on the scope I saw advertised for the same price at SWFA....when SWFA gave me the discounted price! GM does give discounts to local law enforcement, but not to active duty military....

GM isn't the only game in town..they just think they are....

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#31]
On my way to Cabelas new store! WOOOHOOOO! Soon as the woman gets her butt in gear

$329 for the SA XD is sweet may have to bring one home!

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
If i buy anything at gander now a days its 38 cal hbwc bulk lead bullets that they have on occasion.  
GM is the only place i know of that sells them.

In general though  their gun departments suck ass.
I suppose if I were into hard core clay busting or hunting id have a better opinion of the place.

I can only take looking at rows and rows of low end browning's and ruger's entire product line for so long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That said, I'm gonna go pound my nuts flat.

Har har.

Screw them. You would blame them if they had dirty floors, poor lighting, back stocking, etc. They can spend a fucking day to train the dipshit not to be condescending to customers.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I worked at a GM for a year and a half. Just before I left they were in the process of cross-training the employees. The guy that was selling you a canoe yesterday is selling someone a gun today. It will be the best gun on the market, because the manager told him it is!

When I started there, the firearms dept was hardcore hunters, reloaders, and shooters. By the time I left, it was more, "this guy owns a rifle and has seen pictures of handguns, put him in firearms".

When I started the Co. president hated small handguns. If someone was looking for a carry gun, they were out of luck. I just sent them to my favorite local FFL. By the time I left they were fullbore into carry guns. The president had retired and the new boss wanted to make money. Of course there was no warning, one day you have to tell the customers, "no you can't buy that here", the next day we get a box of Kel-Tecs and S&W snubbies.

Confusion reigns supreme at ALL chain stores.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Figured I'd update this as I've been kind of out of commission the last week or so. The day before I got sick I ended up @ $379 with GM. It was still a pretty good deal because I got another 5% off for opening a charge with them and 0% for 6 months. I didn't buy a single thing else from them but I figured this has to be close to dealer cost and with the 5% disc. they probably lost on the deal so it justified it in my mind. Kinda funny, I felt good about putting the screws to them for the way I was treated and the next day I have to have surgery and have been out of work for about 2 weeks. Hmm maybe there is something to the whole karma thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top