Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 5:59:37 PM EDT
Anyone get it? I thought it was supposed to be "delivered" on 8/16. I haven't received the update yet. What gives?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
me nither whats up with that?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get SP2 RTM (Released to Manufacturers) from the microsuck web page.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone get it? I thought it was supposed to be "delivered" on 8/16. I haven't received the update yet. What gives?

I heard something about it on the radio this morning in reference to the 64 bit set up.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The Microsoft Website says the only way to get the download (at this time) is by having "Auto updates" selected.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Microsoft Website says the only way to get the download (at this time) is by having "Auto updates" selected.

BigDozer66

I do have the AU on, however I have it set so that it notifys me of the update and I "click" to install. Do you think that makes a difference?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Do not get this update now unless you are computer illiterate. If you have been doing updates and run a anti-virus and firewall program, you are way ahead of this update. All it will do is add security settings suspenders to the belt you already have installed.

Wait a month or two before you install it unless you have a computer you do not care about losing data on. If you insist on installing it on your main system, do a complete backup and or image first. Second test the backup/image. Third, reconsider installing the update. Then if you must…

This update is bigger than the original install. Wanna bet it has bugs?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you look hard enough, you can find the self-extracting executable.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the Download site

[urlhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

You will not be able to get it thoguth AU unless you have the WIndows XP SP2 Preview installed(That was released back in April?)

I have seen this SP2 with a few strange problems on machiens at work. SO we are not migrating to it yet.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Working just fine for me.  Nice update for the Tablet PC version too.  I just downloaded the entire package, rather than wait for the AU version two weeks later.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
We've not had any trouble with it except that the first night we installed it, we didn't permit an exception for Veritas Backup-Exec Pro Agent in the XP Firewall Application Exception list, so everyone's nightly tape backup failed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI... www.heise.de/security/artikel/50051

Patches forthcoming....  Automatic Updates delayed....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]
A software firewall on each individual PC is like giving everyone fake kevlar vests...

Microsoft tries to look like they understand security, Users get screwed when the next worm plows right thru the new 'super-duper MS firwwall', and so on...

SP2 is definately a 'skip' for me...

I have a 'real' firewall protecting my network, I don't need another one on my personal PC....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]

It will take a month or two for the multitude of software companies to update their software to be compatable with this Windows update.

Why toast your system?

It does not even recognise Norton Anti-Virus. Does that sound like this update is well made?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a 'real' firewall protecting my network, I don't need another one on my personal PC....

Does your firewall monitor individual programs' outgoing traffic on the network?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the updates guys.

I'm not in that big of a hurry to get it, I'm perfectly happy with SP1.

Guess it's a "get it over with, so I can start readjusting everything" type situation.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]
First rule of installing service packs.  Backup everything that you do not want to lose.  You never know if the sucker is going to BSOD during the update.  Side note, just in time for this update Office Depot has a 2 for 1 blank DVD special.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:20:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't get it.  At work we are not allowed to get it as:
1) it is a beta (test) version
2) they are testing it on a couple of machines for reliability
3)MS always has issues with these major updates for 6 months or so.
4) This is what I recieved:

Windows XP Service Pack 2
1.Do not install this update. Do not walk students through installing this update as it is in Beta form.
This page is to assist you with the new features installed with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. This service pack will change what we know today as regular troubleshooting and maintenance.

3.Our students will receive this update through the windows update feature automatically. This will change the way OE, IE, and the operating system function.

4.What will it really change or add to the OS?

Pop-up blocker
Firewall
Higher default security settings
Many other changes to options and default settings throughout the OS

We are going to need to understand these changes in order to support the after effects once this update is released.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:20:13 AM EDT
[#18]
08/17/04

Windows XP Service Pack 2 held up — again

By Brad Grimes
Staff Writer

Microsoft Corp. yesterday delayed yet again its oft-delayed Windows XP Service Pack 2, this time postponing the patch’s distribution through the company’s Automatic Update service.

The Redmond, Wash., software giant sent an e-mail to its enterprise customers notifying them of the delay, which is intended to give organizations more time to prepare for the download. Microsoft said it would make SP2 available on Automatic Update Aug. 25.

SP2 fixes various bugs and includes several security updates to the Windows XP operating system. Among the major enhancements is a security center designed to improve firewall protection and to better alert users to vulnerabilities in their systems.

In its e-mail, Microsoft said it made its decision after receiving feedback from IT groups saying they hadn’t had time to implement a tool for temporarily blocking the automatic download of SP2.

Microsoft has documented roughly 50 software applications that may conflict with SP2, including the corporate version of Symantec AntiVirus, Veritas Backup Exec and several of Microsoft’s own management tools. As a result, the company published a tool that would allow IT shops to hold off on upgrading through Automatic Update until they had time to test their current software on SP2.

The latest delay affects enterprises running Windows XP Professional and using Automatic Update to manage systems. Organizations using Microsoft’s Software Update Services patch management service can now download SP2. The update will be available for XP Home users starting Aug. 18.

www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/24289-1.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been running SP2 (rtm) on XP Pro since Aug. 10th without serious issue.  But, yes, there is a "learning curve" to any change..................................

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#20]
tested, and full deployment on Dell stuff was seemless.
Been very happy with it.  The security firewall is outbound and inbound.
For a service pack from M$ I'm very impressed.  Usually it screws up everything but not this time.
BTW if your on IBM EQ's they have advised NOT to install it since IBM as usual hasn't been testing it while it was in beta and it breaks stuff "big surprise".

wolf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top