Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 5:39:52 PM EDT
Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich gets to break the law, to "Answer a higher calling".  Well, guess what!  I have heard a similar calling... To protect myself and those I love with a handgun while in the City of Chicago.

ILLINOIS CITIZENS!!!  STAND UP AND IMPEACH YOUR CRIMINAL GOVERNOR!!!

Yeah, like that will ever happen.  

ETA: To be intellectually honest, I personally buy medication in Mexico, since it's completely legal, and cheaper.

See story below for those who don't like linky's...

CHICAGO — Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (search) has decided to ignore the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and break the law.

After failing to receive permission from the FDA (search) to import cheaper drugs from Canada, Blagojevich on Tuesday responded by saying he's going to do it anyway.

"The brave men and women who created our country recognized there was a higher moral calling, and a responsibility to change things," the Democrat said.

Blagojevich said he is setting up an online network of pharmacies through which Illinois residents can buy certain prescription drugs from Canada, Ireland and the United Kingdom — even though it is illegal to import such drugs into the United States.

Congress is now considering a bill that would allow importation of prescription drugs from 19 industrialized nations. The bill is currently being held up in the Senate.

Click on the video box near the top of the story to watch a report by Fox News' Steve Brown.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear Governor Blagojevich;

In honor of your efforts to fight the FDA and break the law while "answering to a higher calling", I am going to do the same.

I hold the opinion that the restrictive gun laws in IL and Chicago and the local government's refusal to issue a concealed carry permit to me, a law-abiding citizen, so I can protect myself and my loved ones when visiting your state are nothing more than a restiction on my human rights.  I feel it is a higher calling to ensure I have the tools needed if the unthinkable happens, regardless of your silly gun laws.

I am taking a cue from your moral courage to do as such and look forward to visting the fine state of IL and the city of Chicago.

Yours;

racer934
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't wait till I get back from the desert so i can move out of that godforsaken state.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey race, Let me know the response you get when you send that to the Gov. here.  Nationwide, not trying to flame or anything, but if the Great State of Texas offered you the chance to get your prescriptions at the same price as in mexico and never leave home, would you?  I realize he is breaking the law, and he is the second biggest ass hat in Illinois (Daley holds top rank) but this is probably the only thing I will support him on.   I'm embarrassed to be a part of this state most of the time, but if a program such as this actually will HELP save lives, then by all means do it.  It might not be a concealed care law, but I bet if saves just as many lives. and that in the end is what is important, at least to me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I cant wait to move out of this turd hole.

He is such a hypocrite its not funny.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
hes a douchebag.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding (limited) of how this works is that there are 2 things that keep prices down on medicine outside the US.

The Canadian universal healthcare program dictates the price to the manufacturers, thus artificially lowering the price.

US FDA rules are not followed in preparing and testing the drugs.

The possible outcome is that R&D will slow down on future drugs if they can't recoup those costs.
I think most people believe the cost of a pill is the cost of manufacturing.
The real cost is R&D that invents the pill.

Do foreign countries circumvent US patents and make generic drugs, as well?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The governor of Illinois is 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag. However, the idea that the federal government has the lawful power to determine where I can buy pills is as ludicrous as the concept of "Illinois democracy."
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The response to this will be that drug manufacturers will be forced to raise prices for these drugs in other countries to offset the revenue lost domestically.  
-Troy

Or, more clearly stated, "US consumers will no longer disproportionately subsidize the development and manufacture of drugs dispensed in other countries."

Or, clearer still, "The burden of recoupment of pharmaceutical R&D will be more evenly distributed among the beneficiaries of that activity."
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe the high prices paid by consumers in the US subsidize lower prices EVERYWHERE ELSE in the world.  A lot of medical care is over-charged to those that can afford it (or cannot bargain the price) to pay for free health care to others.  

Thanks for your generosity.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I believe the high prices paid by consumers in the US subsidize lower prices EVERYWHERE ELSE in the world.  A lot of medical care is over-charged to those that can afford it or cannot bargain the price to pay for free health care to others.  

We have a winner. The U.S. pharmacuetical buyer provides essentially 100% of the profit made in the industry. Nearly every other nation mandates prices which are BELOW cost of production (including amortized research costs).

And we don't even get the courtesy of a reach-around from them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe the high prices paid by consumers in the US subsidize lower prices EVERYWHERE ELSE in the world.  A lot of medical care is over-charged to those that can afford it or cannot bargain the price to pay for free health care to others.  

We have a winner. The U.S. pharmacuetical buyer provides essentially 100% of the profit made in the industry. Nearly every other nation mandates prices which are BELOW cost of production (including amortized research costs).

And we don't even get the courtesy of a reach-around from them.

Actually IIRC it's the USA and Switzerland which basically PAY FOR DRUGS FOR THE ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD.

If the US starts importing drugs on a large scale you are going to see some major carnage, folks.

Research can not happen without profit.  Simple fact.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That POS is such a joke.  You should watch this kind of stuff play out.  They spend millions "DOING SOMETHING" they know is not going to fly, then brag about caring and having "done something" to help "the people."  POS bastards.  

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I modified his message a bit to fit ours. Everyone on this board should send him the message. It will take you only two minutes to do so.  

In honor of your efforts to fight the FDA and break the law while "answering to a higher calling", I am going to do the same.

I hold the opinion that the restrictive gun laws in Illinois, and worse yet Chicago, and the local government's refusal to issue a concealed carry permit to me, a law-abiding citizen, so I can protect myself and my loved ones while residing in this state are nothing more than a restiction on my human rights. I feel it is a higher calling to ensure I have the tools needed if the unthinkable happens, regardless of our silly gun laws.

I am taking a cue from your moral courage to do as such and look forward to being able to protect myself and my family in the state of Illinois and the city of Chicago.

Yours;

Illinois Resident

Contact Rowdy Rowdy Piper IL Govenor!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Huge amounts of $ are given by non profit groups, foundations, government, and individuals to companies to research cures for human ailments, and then they turn around, overpay their employees, and bend over the hands that fed them.  That's drug companies for you.  I don't really believe that importing is the way to go, and, knowing the IL governor, as we all do, I think it's all politics to him.   At the same time, I don't believe subsidies by the government or price controls are the way either.  But at some point, someone has to say that the cost of prescription drugs are too high, though the price on older medications are actually quite reasonable.

Someone has to figure out why the prices are as high as they are.  Why the researchers are paid so much and if they will continue to do their work for tax breaks or something else, instead of having high salaries.  Obviously there aren't many in it "for the good of mankind".  There has to be an incentive to stay in the researching business, after all.  Of course, since most of these companies are publicly held, the stockholders want to make all they can too.

The patent system for drugs too is a good thing for companies that come up with a medication, but the downside is, of course, that they esentially have a monopoly on that drug for quite some time and high prices obviously follow.  I don't know how it all works, but there's got to be a way for everybody to be happy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Well having worked with some Hparm comapnies there is alot of money thats tied up in making something.  I could see allowing shorter time for generics to hit the market and drive down cost by competition but thats about it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently heard a "drug company rep" saying that advertising creates $4 for every $1 spent. That is amazing, people don't even know they have a problem til they see the cure. I like cheaper drugs, but I can't afford the $300+ doctors visit to get a $40 spript for antibiotics. BS, I know what I need.

And, not to hi-jack but if you got herpes, I want it tattoo'd on your forehead. No way in hell I want something permanent to be covered up and still be spreadable, for all to enjoy. WTF there is some well spent r&d money. How about a presciption placebo. Advertise it as the do nothing pill, that will cure nothing, and make you feel nothing, but broke. *(hardons that last more than 5 hr. require ER vistit)*(if hemoraging begins seek psychiatric evaluation)*(women who are breastfeeding, may be pregnant, suffer from high blood pressure, or are in any way human may expirience death)*

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vent closed
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy 'em overseas but don't complain if the drugs are bad.  The genius of this is that there is no one to sue!  Soon all drugs will come from overseas but they will cost just as much.  Right now the USA subsidizes Canadian drug prices.  That won't last if every American buys their drugs in Canada and the best part is Canadians will have to pay a lot more too!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I believe the high prices paid by consumers in the US subsidize lower prices EVERYWHERE ELSE in the world.  A lot of medical care is over-charged to those that can afford it (or cannot bargain the price) to pay for free health care to others.  

Very true. Thank the liberals for that BTW.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I recently heard a "drug company rep" saying that advertising creates $4 for every $1 spent. That is amazing, people don't even know they have a problem til they see the cure. I like cheaper drugs, but I can't afford the $300+ doctors visit to get a $40 spript for antibiotics. BS, I know what I need.

In my experience you would be VERY wrong about that Bob, though I am not opposed to your trying. Afterall, this is America and people have right to be stupid. If society wants to self-medicate I say let 'em. Make everything OTC. Shit, I'll be busier but making a proper diagnosis will be more complicated, there will be more hospitalizations for drug reactions and interactions, etc.  Most people have a poor understanding of what meds do or even which antibiotics to use for which infections.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#22]

I hold the opinion that the restrictive gun laws in Illinois, and worse yet Chicago, and the local government's refusal to issue a concealed carry permit to me, a law-abiding citizen, so I can protect myself and my loved ones while residing in this state are nothing more than a restiction on my human rights. I feel it is a higher calling to ensure I have the tools needed if the unthinkable happens, regardless of our silly gun laws.

I am taking a cue from your moral courage to do as such and look forward to being able to protect myself and my family in the state of Illinois and the City of Chicago.

In short, I will continue to carry a handgun for self defense, just as I've been doing for the majority of the last decade.

Yours;

CKMorley
Illinois Resident
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top