Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 1:32:46 PM EDT
I had to substitute teach today for a class- "US Government/Virginia History"...the teacher actually left plans that were titled, "Gun Control in Schools."  I had the pleasure of discussing both the second and fourth amendments with 11th and 12th graders.  Interestingly enough, the majority of the students felt that the education of firearms should begin in the home.  It was a pleasure to have an intelligent, yet informative, discussion based off experience. After doing a brief lecture, that included statistics of gun-related school violence, I had to show them a video. It was a taped A&E special that was very pro-gun.

How do you feel about teachers educating your students in this manner?

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/kilrath_ac/freemcuzi.txt[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's a good idea, but remember the fine line you walk while doing it.

A heartfelt explanation of why the 2nd Amendment was enacted, and why it will always be important to Americans can cover the topic both in a historic and current manner.

Nice job!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
What a profound reply!!  McUzi is a Mcloser...he knows it!  :)

Take it to Miss Magnum's thread and try and stay focused on the topic at hand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto on what M4 said, with added emphasis on how things haven't changed that much in two centuries. I would also address who the militia really are.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Raf,

I, too, was curious.  I inquired with the students and apparently their teacher is "pro-gun" too!  It was very hard not to introduce my bias into the conversation.  Most interesting were the views of the students.

Are you aware that school officials, in certain circumstances, can search a student's locker, vehicle, and personal belongings with or "without" reasonable suspicion if they feel a student is violating a law and/or school rules.  According to the information the teacher left me, the courts have made stipulations on the term "reasonable" when it comes to the safety of the school.  School officials can do this w/out a warrant.  I found this extremely interesting!  The student's went off in quite the tangent when I disclosed this information.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I think gun safety should be taught in schools and at home.  It would prevent most instances of gun related "school violence"

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
they better never try that search crap on me. in hte past during diffrent conflicts i have had administration members hint at a search of my truck. they will have to kill me first.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
raf,

The teacher is actually a "he"...however, I sub there again next week and intend on introducing myself and striking up conversation regarding this lesson plan.

mattsd,

Unfortunately, if you refuse the search of a vehicle the administration can have it towed..and search w/the authorties....because at that point your refusal hints that there is a problem and now gives them the "reasonable suspicion" required by the amendment.  Strange as it sounds, it is true.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
You could teach my kids classes any time!
Keep up the good work. We need more like you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Ed Sr,

Good to be back!!  I will be teaching full time in Florida this fall.  I'll have to see who, from the boards, reside in the St. Pete/Tampa area!

Found out my teacher is definitely "pro-gun" and shoots at the local range I've attended.  Major score for me!! :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#14]
At my kids school they have a 1/800-turnin to anonomously turn in someone for violating school rules, guns, drugs etc.  It scarces to me to death that we are teaching our children it is okay to "inform" on someone.  Shades of Hitler and Stalin! This stuff is now evolving to beyond just guns & drugs.

Sigchick: We haven't heard from you since we went to the new software.  Since you are going to be teaching full-time, does this mean that you will not be welding anymore?  Thank goodness there are some pro-gun teachers.  You are going to have a tough time since a good portion of teachers are scarced $hitless about a gun. :-)
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Warlord!

I had to take a break from the boards for a while.  My schedule w/grad school and student teaching, working part-time, etc. was too busy.  I barely had time to eat and sleep much less keep up w/the boards!  

I'M BACK BABY!! HEHE!

When I start teaching full time I'll still be on the boards and intend on joining a local range.  I've always wanted to do pistol competitions and still plan on pursuing that endeavor.

The teachers in Florida will have no idea what to do w/me..republican, "welder", pro-gun, and future pistol competitor..can you imagine?!?

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I feel that with the lack of gun control in the schools,teachers SHOULD educate their students on the proper use of guns.  I do think that we should try to keep it purely imformal, and try to stay away from pro-gun use.  I feel that is up to the children to decide, but they do need to be educated about guns.  If their parents won't teach them, then who will?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's teach the CONSTITUTION in school and save the gun lessons for extra curricular activities.

School is for teaching critical thinking. Socializing is a secondary function. But getting your social agenda across to a captive audience should NOT be the function of public education.

This includes prayer, birth control, abortion, gun safety, driver's ed, drug abuse/use forums, anti-smoking programs, etc.

That said, I think schools should have marksmanship teams/clubs as extra curricular activities. Shooting teaches concentration, control, and safe behavior. But it shouldn't be a part of the curriculum.

Hist. of the 2nd Amendment SHOULD be a part of the curriculum.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top