Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 1:14:28 PM EDT

What were those VFW guys yelling while Kerry was giving his speach today?

And yes, originality can be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What were those VFW guys yelling while Kerry was giving his speach today?

And yes, originality can be appreciated.

I missed this. Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen anything in the news since he spoke at their convention.  I take this as an indicator that he wasn't greatly loved by the VFW.  If they had adored him it would have been splashed on the front pages and we'd see the video every 10 minutes on CNN.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I haven't seen anything in the news since he spoke at their convention.  I take this as an indicator that he wasn't greatly loved by the VFW..

Its hard to tell what a 5 second TV news shot says, but the looks on those VFW guys on the poduium faces said....

"I need the money, so I'll just sit back here for this entire speech, but I won't like it. And I *** WILL **** demand payment in cash."

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I haven't seen anything in the news since he spoke at their convention.  I take this as an indicator that he wasn't greatly loved by the VFW.  If they had adored him it would have been splashed on the front pages and we'd see the video every 10 minutes on CNN.

How could they accept him?? HE comes back from the Nam and makes a name for himself BASHING those still serving.

He is a traitor to his country and fellow service men.And while they all slept in tents in front of the Whitehouse etc.He stayed in 5 star accommadations in George Town.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Kerry spoke at a VFW group yesterday.

Some of the vets stood with their back to Kerry as he spoke.

Yahoo's photos have a picture, here:  story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040818/480/ohdk10308181644

The caption reads:

War veterans Jere Hill, middle, from Warham, Mass., and Robert Gibson, right, from Lexington, Ky., stand with their backs turned during Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry (news - web sites)'s speech at the 105th Veterans of Foreign Wars National Convention in Cincinnati on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2004. Man in foreground is unidentified. Kerry received a polite if not overwhelmingly positive reaction from the VFW. But there was a clear divide, with scores of veterans sittings with their arms folded while others clapped
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/19/politics/main636970.shtml

Kerry received a polite if not overwhelmingly positive reaction from the VFW. Large portions of the crowd applauded with each promise to protect veteran's benefits and with many points he made about Iraq and terrorism. But there was a clear divide, with scores of veterans sitting with their arms folded while others clapped. One man heckled Kerry, calling him a liar, as VFW sergeants at arms admonished him.

"I'll say it myself. He's a liar," said John Ranson of Fort Thomas, Ky., a 57-year-old Vietnam War veteran who sat a few feet away from the heckler. He said Kerry has not supported U.S. troops as senator or as a Vietnam veteran who protested the war.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Found the transcript of his speech: releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?ReleaseID=34876

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#9]
i do recall reading about some "heckling" as well. but not of the actual words used.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]

War veterans Jere Hill, middle, from Warham, Mass., and Robert Gibson, right, from Lexington, Ky., stand with their backs turned during Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry (news - web sites)'s speech at the 105th Veterans of Foreign Wars National Convention in Cincinnati on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2004. Man in foreground is unidentified. Kerry received a polite if not overwhelmingly positive reaction from the VFW. But there was a clear divide, with scores of veterans sittings with their arms folded while others clapped. (AP Photo/David Kohl)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could have been there to stand shoulder to shoulder with those two fella's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Too bad they did not have one more charge in them to finish off the enemy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wish I could have been there to stand shoulder to shoulder with those two fella's.

Too bad half the audience didn't stand up and turn their backs on him.

Sometimes I don't get it. After everything Kerry has said and done, he's allowed to speak in front of the VFW. It's a private organization, so why did they feel the need to let him speak after he has trashed them for all these years?

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
How could any actual veteran support kerry?These guys must be die hard demokraps or love to hear liars lie.Sad that they would allow a fucktwerp like him in the building at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How could any actual veteran support kerry?These guys must be die hard demokraps or love to hear liars lie.Sad that they would allow a fucktwerp like him in the building at all.

My paternal grandfather is a WW2 Navy vet & dyed in the wool yellow dog/Teamster Democrat & is a (tepid) Kerry supporter  Which is especially bad because he's a regular Ned Flanders religious/social conservative NRA member......  Dad & I are working on changing his mind though.  

On the other hand, my god-aunt's boyfriend/common law husband is a '50s Cold War Army vet & lifelong Democrat but he despises Kerry with a passion.  He plans on voting for Bush parly out of his hatred for Kerry & because of GW's foreign policy.

Dad is a VN USN combat vet (dirt Navy) & wouldn't piss on Kerry if he was on fire.  As far as he's concerned a +1 for Kerry having served, a big -1,000,000 for his association with Hanoi Jane & the treasonous shitbird pinkoes who spit on our guys when they got home.  He's still pissed about Carter giving the chickenshit draft dodgers who ran off to Canada amnesty.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040818/capt.ohdk10308181644.kerry_ohdk103.jpg

War veterans Jere Hill, middle, from Warham, Mass., and Robert Gibson, right, from Lexington, Ky., stand with their backs turned during Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry (news - web sites)'s speech at the 105th Veterans of Foreign Wars National Convention in Cincinnati on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2004. Man in foreground is unidentified. Kerry received a polite if not overwhelmingly positive reaction from the VFW. But there was a clear divide, with scores of veterans sittings with their arms folded while others clapped. (AP Photo/David Kohl)

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys. I can always count on you to come through with the info! udp415
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
God bless those hero's! They saw the enemy when they met him on the battlefield and LOOKED at them square in the eyes...JFK doesn't deserve the same respect as a man trying to kill them...

Think about the statement that sends....

AWESOME!

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My paternal grandfather is a WW2 Navy vet & dyed in the wool yellow dog/Teamster Democrat & is a (tepid) Kerry supporter  Which is especially bad because he's a regular Ned Flanders religious/social conservative NRA member......  Dad & I are working on changing his mind though.  

On the other hand, my god-aunt's boyfriend/common law husband is a '50s Cold War Army vet & lifelong Democrat but he despises Kerry with a passion.  He plans on voting for Bush parly out of his hatred for Kerry & because of GW's foreign policy.

Dad is a VN USN combat vet (dirt Navy) & wouldn't piss on Kerry if he was on fire.  As far as he's concerned a +1 for Kerry having served, a big -1,000,000 for his association with Hanoi Jane & the treasonous shitbird pinkoes who spit on our guys when they got home.  He's still pissed about Carter giving the chickenshit draft dodgers who ran off to Canada amnesty.

Beat me to it.  

It seems to me that many of the guys who came back from Korea and VN came back to industrial type jobs with large companies.    Most of the older vets I met over the years, guys who were the backbone of the local VFW halls, were also big time union workers.  For the most part, they could give a shit about Constitutional issues.  Current issues being more important than past ones, most will "vote their pocketbook" and follow the union/party line.  They also seemed to feel that because they served, they especially deserve a guaranteed wage/benefit structure, from a company, .gov, or whomever will give it to them.  Thus, the Democrap platform lines right up.

The vets I have met who are more concerned with Constitutional, Freedom, and Geopolitical issues have been my age.  I am talking about the 50-70 yo range vets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top