Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...no
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
It's interesting, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]
yes and the eater bunny, and santa clause, and the tooth fairy, and kerry's b.s., and.................
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Bigfoot was there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
not really
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
All I can say is something happened there that was weird enough to generate a press release that a "flying saucer" had been captured, and I doubt seriously that it was a weather balloon.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#9]
[MESSAGE DELETED BY NSA]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
All I can say is something happened there that was weird enough to generate a press release that a "flying saucer" had been captured, and I doubt seriously that it was a weather balloon.

The only problem I have with that was the farmer who found the "wreakage" said that the material he found on his ranch couldn't have wieghed more than a few pounds.  How this "few pounds" of material turned into a "flying saucer" or "aliens" is hard to fathom?  

REPORT OF AIR FORCE RESEARCH REGARDING THE "ROSWELL INCIDENT"
THE "ROSWELL INCIDENT"--WHAT WAS ORIGINALLY REPORTED IN 1947

The modern preoccupation with what ultimately came to be called Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) actually began in June, 1947. Although some pro-UFO researchers argue that sightings of UFOs go back to Biblical times, most researchers will not dispute that anything in UFO history can compare with the phenomenon that began in 1947. What was later characterized as "the UFO Wave of 1947" began with 16 alleged sightings that occurred between May 17 and July 12, 1947, (although some researchers claim there were as many as 800 sightings during that period). Interestingly, the "Roswell Incident" was not considered one of these 1947 events until the 1978-1980 time frame. There is no dispute, however, that something happened near Roswell in July, 1947, since it was reported in a number of contemporary newspaper articles; the most famous of which were the July 8 and July 9 editions of the Roswell Daily Record. The July 8 edition reported "RAAF Captures Flying Saucer On Ranch In Roswell Region," while the next day's edition reported, "Ramey Empties Roswell Saucer" and "Harassed Rancher Who Located 'Saucer' Sorry He Told About It."

The first story reported that the Intelligence Officer of the 509th Bomb Group, stationed at Roswell AAF, Major Jesse A. Marcel, had recovered a "flying disc" from the range lands of an unidentified rancher in the vicinity of Roswell and that the disc had been "flown to higher headquarters." That same story also reported that a Roswell couple claimed to have seen a large unidentified object fly by their home on July 2, 1947.

The July 9 edition of the paper noted that Brigadier General Roger Ramey, Commander of the Eighth Air Force at Forth Worth, Texas, stated that upon examination the debris recovered by Marcel was determined to be a weather balloon. The wreckage was described as a "..bundle of tinfoil, broken wood beams, and rubber remnants of a balloon...... The additional story of the "harassed rancher" identified him as W.W. Brazel of Lincoln County, New Mexico. He claimed that he and his son, Vemon, found the material on June 14, 1947, when they "came upon a large area of bright wreckage made up of rubber strips, tinfoil, a rather tough paper, and sticks." He picked up some of the debris on July 4 and ."..the next day he first heard about the flying discs and wondered if what he had found might have been the remnants of one of these." Brazel subsequently went to Roswell on July 7 and contacted the Sheriff, who apparently notified Major Marcel. Major Marcel and "a man in plain clothes" then accompanied Brazel home to pick up the rest of the pieces. The article further related that Brazel thought that the material:

"..might have been as large as a table top. The balloon which held it up, if that is how it worked, must have been about 12 feet long, he felt, measuring the distance by the size of the room in which he sat. The rubber was smoky gray in color and scattered over an area about 200 yards in diameter. When the debris was gathered up the tinfoil, paper, tape, and sticks made a bundle about three feet long and 7 or 8 inches thick, while the rubber made a bundle about 18 or 20 inches long and about 8 inches thick. In all, he estimated, the entire lot would have weighed maybe five pounds. There was no sign of any metal in the area which night have been used for an engine and no sign of any propellers of any kind. Although at least one paper fin had been glued onto some of the tinfoil. There were no words to be found anywhere on the instrument although there were letters on some of the parts. Considerable scotch tape and some tape with flowers printed upon it had been used in the construction. No string or wire were to be found but there were some eyelets in the paper to indicate that some sort of attachment may have been used. Brazel said that he had previously found two weather balloons on the ranch, but that what he found this time did not in any way resemble either of these."

So, even the report of July 9th, 1947 described the debris as that of a large weather balloon and the materials described by the rancher who orginally found it does sound like some type of  balloon, not necessarily a weather balloon but definatly nothing of out of this world origins.

It is also interesting to note that "The Roswell Incidient" was not considered to be a "UFO Event" until the late 1970s, more than 30 years later.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Because on the "other" crash site (there were two sites, one with debris and the other with the actual saucer), witnesses actually saw the craft and 4 bodies lying strewn outside.  They were on a nature hike with a guide and they came upon this thing. Next thing the army shows up, and says to leave and never say a word of it or they will be a grave in the desert.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Weather balloon with top secret weather information that caused EXTREME government reaction.  

Maybe Area 51 craft that crashed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Weather balloon with top secret weather information that caused EXTREME government reaction.  

Maybe Area 51 craft that crashed.

The balloon was likely from Project Mogul, a top secret project designed to attempt to monitor Soviet nuclear weapons testing.  Project Mogul took place in 1947, and several balloons were not recovered making it very likely that the one found by the rancher is one of the project Mogul balloons.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#15]
No, but...

if I was a writer, tv/movie producer, UFO book store owner or live in Roswell, I sure as hell would believe. After all, how you gonna sell a product unless you keep stiring up the subject? There is a whole industry built on this crap.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
those darned weather baloons ....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#17]
No, it is phony. Real UFO crash sites are still classified.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#18]
The Mexican DOD acknowledges that UFO's are a real threat
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Man, just take a trip to Roswell and you will be convinced that aliens really did land and even interbred with the humans there.

They have highway signs laying on the ground too so they can be seen from above.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Nope.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Beleive what - that there was an incident (there was - that's a fact)

or that it was a crashed flying saucer?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
yes and the eater bunny, and santa clause, and the tooth fairy, and kerry's b.s., and.................

Eater bunny...

*Giggles*
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I think Roswell is the STUPIDIST idea for a TV show I've ever heard of. There is an actual teenie bopper type show that chronicals alien high school kids or something. Seriously, wtf?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#26]
who ever said it hit a balloon???  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I did research on it for a paper in college.

I don't know if I believe that an alien spaceship crashed there, but there are some interesting things for sure.

One account of the guy who ran the ambulance services and was driving the ambulance that day really freaked me out.

So I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys, the History Channel has a VERY complete and detailed explaination of what the whole thing was at Roswell, NM.  I watched it the other day and it was really cool, with good details on the Top Secret things we did during the Cold War.  I am not going to go into detail, but it is worth every second.  Plus it debunks the main author who started all this stuff.  It was on History's Mysteries: Secret UFO Files   Look for it, watch it and learn.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes......No......Yes......No...I believed before I didn't believe.

Whoa, had a Kerry moment
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I read about it on the internet so it has to be true.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#33]
It was actually Kerry driving his Swift Boat while engaging the aliens. The DoD needed a better cover story for Kerry's actions so they said his Purple Hearts were from combat-related injuries in Southeast Asia.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I always call hardcore BS on anything involving lil green men, their ships, their gadgets, and their existence.   Period.  

Solar systems develop at different times (and by "time" we are talking about billions of years) and the sohpistication of the human being, or any being of intellect, is reached in a very SMALL window of time (only a few million years).   So the odds of life forming to any form of complexity in an environment that can support life (a rarity in itself.... the Earth is unique) is slim to none.  Combine this with the fact that a planet would have had to form at the same time and with the same chance occurances (distance from appropriate star, composition of the planet, etc) we see that the odds of a sophisticated being existing at the same time is virtually impossible.  

I think other life forms may have come and gone within the last few billion years... no doubt about it... but the chance of their development coinciding with ours is just not possible.

I'm calling on UFOs being non-human in origin.  

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a 5th grade teacher in Santa Fe, N.M.  in 1969 who not only lived in Roswell at the time of the incident, she had an edition of the actual Roswell News paper that ran the story.(she brought the paper to class one day)

She said she was almost out of high school at the time and it made such an impact on her she went on to be a Journalist and worked on the New York Times for a few years before moving back to NM and becoming an English teacher.

She said that it was not only the fact that a story had been publised about it, it was the general 'handleing' of the aftermath and how the Government went into high gear to 'silence' the town folk. (remember this was back when the media still had some credibiity and Gov. cover-ups were not so common).

She says what she remembered most was the people being scared to death, and not of aliens but of the Military who were making not to subtle death threats against  the people.

Roswell was then and still is now for that matter a small town, and as small towns everywhere everyone knew everyone and people loved to talk.  

Being a 10 year old boy in '69 and never really hearing an adult speak about such matters it made a very big impression on me, which is why I still remember it today. Of course in '69 we had the Apollo moon landing and the 'space race' was major news back then, we even saw the landing in class on T.V.  I mention that to give a premiss for the story, she wasn't some whacked out school teacher concocting UFO stories and corrupting kids,  I guess the big point is she swore there was something going on in Roswell in those days, and it had little to do with weather balloons.

As such it always gave me pause for thought when hearing all about the latest conspiracy theory throughout the latter years.......
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#36]
The two crash sites were from the flying saucer not a weather balloon.  They are grey in color not green.     And how come when the initial SHTF scenario broke out, the Army stated front page in Roswell     "Flying Saucer captured"??   When they realized what panic would ensue, they changed their story and covered it up forever.   That History Channel is nothing but a bunch of gooberment cheerleaders anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#37]
No, to much evidence against it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#39]
No comment; however, the facts will come out on January 15, 2009 in a paper being released by a private company.  The following Sunday, the 24th, those who try to discredit the paper will be in for a big surprise.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#40]
No.  I've read enough about it to know that there is very little possibility that the story was anything but a conflation of the Project Mogul baloon crash with the high-altitude dummy drops which occurred later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top