Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 9:59:39 AM EDT
Cafe for Kitties Opens in New York
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

NEW YORK  — Dressed in a tuxedo, Simba sat at the front of one of Manhattan's newest dining establishments and nodded at people who greeted him. Then he yawned, began to roll on the floor and lick his paws. That's acceptable behavior at the Meow Mix Cafe (search), a new eatery designed especially for cats and their human owners.

Simba, an 8-month-old kitten, was joined by about two dozen other tabbies, Persians (search) and Burmese (search) for a feast at Tuesday's grand opening of the cafe, which is owned by the Meow Mix Company, a Secaucus, N.J.-based cat food maker.

"Why not take your cat out for dinner?" asked Simba's owner, Leah Thompson, 19. "There's always things for dogs, but never cats."

The midtown restaurant serves Meow Mix packets for its feline customers with corresponding dishes to satisfy human palates. "Deep Sea Delight" mackerel for cats is paired with tuna rolls for cat owners; "Upstream Dream" salmon for felines corresponds with mini crab cakes for humans.

Meow Mix president and CEO Richard Thompson said the feline-friendly restaurant has two main rules: no dogs and no catnip, which must be checked at the door.

"Our goal is to keep cats happy," Thompson said. "The idea is that you can bring them and start socializing them."

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone needs a good slap!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#2]
A week from now:

"Chinese restaurant opens up next to Meow Mix Cafe"

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#3]
holllyyyy shiiiit that lady is fug-ley
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

IIRC, that is Eartha Kitt...One of the original "catwomen" from the Batman TV serires.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Where is Arowneragain when you need him?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Er, um "Meow Mix Cafe"? hinking.gif

There's already a bar downtown named "Meow Mix" . . .  Most of the ladies there aren't (how do I put this?) "playing for the home team".  

Though there's nothing wrong in trying to "hit it," being a male at Meow Mix puts you at a distinct disadvantage. . .
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where is Arowneragain when you need him?

I am only posting in this thread as a public service....arfcom needs a hot topic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]
How can people stupid enough to waste money like that manage to earn enough money to waste like that?

Please, someone tell me how!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, that is Eartha Kitt...One of the original "catwomen" from the Batman TV serires.

That's her and SteyrAug thinks she's HOT!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I just gotta ask this question:

What happens when a customer asks for a Doggie Bag?

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been in THAT downtown Meow Mix bar, corner of Stanton and Houston, I think. there is some tough ass dykes in there. Interesting scenery for sure. Even talked to some of the ladies. They weren't interested though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top