Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 5:11:15 AM EDT
www.wibc.com/news/story.aspx?id=31679

Sorry if this was posted already, I did a search and did not find anything about it here. Anyway, I guess the guy went nuts, killed his mother, his brother came over and found the aftermath, the cops were called. One cop got killed as they were arriving while he was still in his vehicle. The perp went running around the neighborhood shooting at cars, houses, police. He was finally killed by the PD.

Turns out it was an SKS but they don't say that in the article, instead they say automatic weapon. Not even assault rifle this time, or semi-auto. Arent SKS a fixed 10 rounder, and fixed bayonet? I am surprised they didn't call it a sniper attack. Damn media.

All this just before the AWB sunset. I would be surprised if you don't hear about this in support of the antis where the AWB is concerned.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You can put 30 round ak mags in them after a quick modification
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#2]
We lost a brother officer this morning here in Indianapolis.  It appears right now that a schizophrenic with an SKS and possibly a pistol of some kind killed his mother.  His brother called the police.  The first officer was shot in his car when he arrived at the scene.  I believe he survived.  The young officer who died left a wife and child.  He'd been on only 4 years.  4 more officers were wounded. One was shot in the elbow, one in the wrist, one in the knee and one in the stomach.  When the story first broke, they said it was an AK-47 and that neighbors heard machine gun fire.  I'm thinking it was probably rapid fire from the SKS. They did correct their broadcast to say it was not an AK-47.  I didn't know him.  We have so many new young guys and it's hard to meet all of them.  His family will be taken care of, but that doesn't bring him back. We've managed to go more than 10 years without an officer killed in the line of duty.  When I first came on, we lost one every other 2 years or so.

For what it's worth, the officer shot in the knee killed the suspect.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/171264-1254-092.html
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can put 30 round ak mags in them after a quick modification

No yuou can not. There are one or two types of SKS that were made at the factory to accept an AK type magazine, but AFAIK they will not take a standard 30rd ak mag. The detachable mag converted sks rifles are shit. My buddy has one that I'm gunsitting right now. yer better off loading it off of strippers than you are taking the mag off and puting a new one in. It takes way to much time and is not really practical.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Horrible.   Ban the skitzoes!

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I am sorry for your department loss, and the personal sorrow that your unit will have to deal with. My only reason for bringing this story up is to point out, once again, the media bias concerning the facts about 'assault weapons'.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#7]
sorry to hear of that, what a shame, be praying for the family
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Our guys took guns and ammo out of this guys house early this year when his mother called.  If he is a schizophrenic, and has been treated for it, he shouldn't have legal access to a gun.  I'm sure there's a lot more to it.  I'm saddened by the loss of one of our guys right now.

I do see the damage this incident may do down the road as well.  Bad day all around.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
...need some help...some are using this event to call for renewal of the AWB.

www.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=874088#post874088
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#11]
SKS is a pretty comon weapon used to kill cops. THREE alabama cops were killed with an SKS this summer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not even assault rifle this time, or semi-auto.

An SKS IS semi-automatic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn.  Sorry to hear rn45.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry as well
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
SKS is a pretty comon weapon used to kill cops. THREE alabama cops were killed with an SKS this summer.

Yes, because the SKS is cheap.  Cheap, reliable, and rifle-caliber.  

But they didn't even try to ban the 10-shot, wood-stocked, $100 SKS, did they?  No, it looked too much like Dad's deer rifle.  It wasn't black, it didn't have a detachable 30-round magazine or an evil baby-killing pistol grip.  Not even a mass-murdering folding stock!

I hate politicians.

My deepest condolences for the grieving.  All of them.  But I'm glad the perp's dead.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What is you point?...

Im sure that a SKS is a common weapon, because they are avail. to people cheap, But Im willing to bet that more officers get killed with other types of weapons, or ever die be being run over.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I've noticed that most people (read: non gun people) refer to 'autoloaders' as "automatic weapons." Pursuant to this logic, everything other than most shotguns, bolt actions and revolvers are 'automatic weapons'
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is you point?...

That the SKS is a pretty common weapon used to kill cops.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not even assault rifle this time, or semi-auto.

An SKS IS semi-automatic.

Translated to English:

SKS -  Semi-automatic Carbine Simonov
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've noticed that most people (read: non gun people) refer to 'autoloaders' as "automatic weapons." Pursuant to this logic, everything other than most shotguns, bolt actions and revolvers are 'automatic weapons'

An anti-gun politico was giving a speech, that is he for "banning semi-automatic & automatic weapons." The mainstream people are confused by the news media on the differnces of the different type of guns. I guess anything automatic is bad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I had to roll the MECA van.  That whole situation was pretty intense.  They changed the staging location a bunch of times too.  The south district guys were really wound tight for awhile.  IPD assaulted a house that morning too.  Really very sad about the officers families.  All in all a bad night for IPD.  An officer hasn't been shot int he line of duty since the late 80s.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is you point?...

Seems like a dumb observation, and an odd one to interject into this topic.  A cop was murdered by a nut.  That is tragic, and possibly even more sad given that he leaves a family behind.  The nut was then killed.  I am not troubled by this outcome, but I am sure his family will grieve, and that is sad too.  

But to leap from this sad topic to "SKS is commonly used to kill cops" defys logic.  First off, thankfully, American cops are not killed very often by ANY means.  Vehicle, guns, knives, or other, even self-inflicted.  If I recall correctly, the one category of weapons that is most often used to kill an officer IS HIS OWN SIDEARM.  And even given these statistics, I think it would pretty insulting to say that "cops commonly lose their own guns which gets them killed."    
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Prayers sent for all involved.  Good that the guys got the BG.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is you point?...

As I recall, the Mini-14 was a common "crime rifle" back during the 80s. In the 70s it was probably the M-1 carbine.

Whatever is inexpensive and widly available. Of course, compared to handguns and shotguns and knives, rifles are rare crime weapons.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like a dumb observation, and an odd one to interject into this topic.  A cop was murdered by a nut.  That is tragic, and possibly even more sad given that he leaves a family behind.  The nut was then killed.  I am not troubled by this outcome, but I am sure his family will grieve, and that is sad too.  

But to leap from this sad topic to "SKS is commonly used to kill cops" defys logic.  First off, thankfully, American cops are not killed very often by ANY means.  Vehicle, guns, knives, or other, even self-inflicted.  If I recall correctly, the one category of weapons that is most often used to kill an officer IS HIS OWN SIDEARM.  And even given these statistics, I think it would pretty insulting to say that "cops commonly lose their own guns which gets them killed."    

Statistics from 1990 -- 1992 (three year period) (Edited to add, this is FBI data):

~430 officiers killed in line of duty.
39 killed with own weapon.
21 killed by other cops.
20 killed by rifles.
4 killed by semi auto rifles (statistically insignificant)

What do I mean by "statistically insignificant"? In a single incident in 1993, 4 cops were killed by semi-auot rifles in a single day (Waco). As many as were killed in the previous three years combined . . .
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#29]
1st off  killing is wrong and illegal it should not matter the means nor method . This would not be any less tragic if someone used a butcher knife or a 10rnd magazine or a win. 30-30 for that matter because someone determined to commit homicide is hard to stop . This country desperately needs to focus on people spiraling out of control and firearms safety EDUC. instead of making LAWS that hurt the police and civilians alike ................
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys can quibble all you want about semantics.  it is a FACT that rifles the general public cannot distinguish from your beloved AR or even daddy's deer rifle are being used to kill police (and just about everyone else.  We had an SKS shooting just this morning ,  drug related)

Pistols are short,  rifles are long,  and they are ALL bad.  That's the mindset.

Sticking your head in the sand and saying "It's not a TRUE  (Fill in the blank) does not matter a hill of beans to your neighbors that are going to vote to have them taken away.

Thats okay,  you can still argue about definitions even when you cannot own them.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Statistics from 1990 -- 1992 (three year period) (Edited to add, this is FBI data):

I know you can find newer data than that. Hell at least 4 cops have been killed with an SKS this  summer.  thats more than the entire 3 year period of your outdated statistics.

Yes, the M1 carbine is used to kill cops pretty often to. I have video thats only a few years old of a georgia cop being murdered by a Vn vet armed with an M1 carbine.  In 1993 two Riverside county sheriff deputies were killed with an M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Prayers sent for his family.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#35]
These men were co-workers of my husband who was fortunately off this night.  Please pray for a speedy recovery for the injured men and for the family of the fallen.  They are all heros.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sorry to hear this - prayers sent to all families involved...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is you point?...

Guns dont kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!!

My condolences to the family and the fellow officers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You guys can quibble all you want about semantics.  it is a FACT that rifles the general public cannot distinguish from your beloved AR or even daddy's deer rifle are being used to kill police (and just about everyone else.  We had an SKS shooting just this morning ,  drug related)

Pistols are short,  rifles are long,  and they are ALL bad.  That's the mindset.

Sticking your head in the sand and saying "It's not a TRUE  (Fill in the blank) does not matter a hill of beans to your neighbors that are going to vote to have them taken away.

Thats okay,  you can still argue about definitions even when you cannot own them.

Well said.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I had to roll the MECA van.  That whole situation was pretty intense.  They changed the staging location a bunch of times too.  The south district guys were really wound tight for awhile.  IPD assaulted a house that morning too.  Really very sad about the officers families.  All in all a bad night for IPD.  An officer hasn't been shot int he line of duty since the late 80s.  

ViperEH,

stay safe and be prepared.  You guys are in my thoughts.

I am kind of embroiled in a thread on the subject at the Indystar website www.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74603.  
Without trying to be disrespectful of the people hurt today I have put forth my views in a thread that was probably meant for condolences.  There is a lot of discussion about the AWB, machine guns and gun control in general so I joined in, unfortunately it is the only thread with any traffic on the incident, your honest thoughts would be appreciated.

On a related note, is this our imbroglio????,  eleven posts down the page   www.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74603&page=7&pp=15
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#40]
It had to be someone from this site.  Most likely him.  The "bullet hose" term and "more thrusts per squeeze" most likely came from Imbroglio.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top