Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 6:14:30 PM EDT
Geico has arrived in New Jersey to insure drivers for the first time in about 27 years. Not sure if I should be doing this yet , but just got a quote on their website with savings of $226. over my current policy with a little better coverage from Geico.So my fellow ARFCOMERS out there,what are your experiences with Geico if you are currently insured with them or have in the past.Car insurance in NJ has sucked big time for the past 20 years in the least, but with more companies slated to return, this might be the light at the end of the tunnel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
They are cheap the first year, but they make up for it the next year.

BTW: they are also VERY Anti-Gun!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Major anti-gun and anti-radar detector as well.

NFW would I consider them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Every time I get a quote from them, they are not any where near being cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Had Geico as a college student (years ago) and had a guy hit me. Wanted my truck totalled as it bent the frame and Geico wouldn't do it. They wanted to fix it and fix it they did....What would have cost them $6k to total the truck turned out costing them $10k to fix the truck plus 1.5 months of rental car fees. The damage to tranny (4WD) and internal parts was much more severe than adjuster originally thought....Geico was too far into fixing truck to turn back. I wasn't happy, Geico wasn't happy....I dropped them and went with State Farm. I also don't like the idea of calling a 800 number to report an accident....I like a local agent for that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah geez those stupid fucking commercials
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I just switched to them about a month ago. I'll be saving over $1000 a year for our vehicles. Shocked the wifey and me when we saw how much we saved.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been with Geico for two years now going on a third very soon.  I've filed three claims with them in the last year.  Two glass claims and a claim to fix deer damage to the tune of over $4000.  Was very satisfied with the service and the premium has NOT gone up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

AW CRAP ! NO WONDER Senator LOUSYBURG introduced them at a news conference to welcome them back. Anti-gun state with anti-gun insurance companies, it figures. I gotta look into this
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
New Jersey is a pretty shitty state for insurers to do business in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd kill flipper for a tuna fish sandwhich ...

AND

I'd kill a gecco for a parking space ...
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
GEICO is the devil.

A few years back they bought a whole bunch of radar guns for the local po-po (all over the country)

why? to make the roads safer?

NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, to get more tickets and jack up your rates.

GEICO is the devil.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The quote they gave me was $345 MORE than I'm paying now with State Farm.

And they're anti gun to boot.

Fuck 'em with that  annoying fucking gecko.

SG
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:INSURANCE IS A SCAM

until you need to use it
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AW CRAP ! NO WONDER Senator LOUSYBURG introduced them at a news conference to welcome them back. Anti-gun state with anti-gun insurance companies, it figures. I gotta look into this

Yea that should tell you somthing.  Truely sad
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:INSURANCE IS A SCAM

until you need to use it

Yea, And that is when they stick it in and break it off
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Every time I get a quote from them, they are not any where near being cheaper.

+1

my renewal is up next month with AIG. i called geico last week. they were 350.00 per year MORE.

mike

Hey Mike, I have AIG also.  While I haven't had any claims, I like them so far.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a quote earlier this week from another insurer (forgot the name) for an outrageous amount of money ( over $2500. per year) full coverage for a PU.They said I will earn a 25% reduction in premiums if I am a GOOD and SAFE driver for the next 12 months.Savings applied at renewal.OH SURE, what about the last 27 years of safe driving and no accidents, does'nt that COUNT ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Get the hell out of NJ, go to a civilized state where cars have 4 tires instead of 4 cinderblocks and watch your rates fall faster than a NJ governor's drawers at a Village People reunion (sorry, couldn't resist, lol)
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#23]
With what I am saving by using GEICO, I am able to buy an extra gun a year......
so take that
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Get the hell out of NJ, go to a civilized state where cars have 4 tires instead of 4 cinderblocks and watch your rates fall faster than a NJ governor's drawers at a Village People reunion (sorry, couldn't resist, lol)

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
We saved a bucket of $$$ by switching to Geico.

Always have excellent service also.

Two times we have needed it.  The adjuster guy was there the next morning.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I applied online yesterday. Geico would be about $180 more than my current policy (Palisades) for two cars and a truck. Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I applied online yesterday. Geico would be about $180 more than my current policy (Palisades) for two cars and a truck. Go figure.

how do you think they pay for running commercials 24 x 7 on every TV & radio station on the planet?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Insurance premiums vary tremendously from state to state, what is cheap here may, or may not be a good deal in another state.

I have used Geico for about 10 years, in my case they are substantially cheaper than any others I have checked, and I do a check of other companies every couple of years to make sure I have a good rate.

I have had one claim, it was handled prompted and courteously, rates went up a bit after the claim but went down 2-3 years later, just like every other insurance company I have had over the years.

As far as the radar guns they gave away, almost all car insurance companies belong to IIHS* which does the exact same thing, so you can paint them all with the same brush on that point.

They have saved me several hundred dollars a year on my 3 vehicles, they may or may not save someone else money.

*IIHS, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#29]
GEICO MAKES YOU USE UNBRANDED REPAIR PARTS. CAN'T USE FACTORY FENDERS ETC.

This is okay for some cars, and your pet car using substandard parts? I think not.

m4-ak
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]
A GEICO insured driver pulled out in front of me in 1969.  Totaled my 1966 Mustang fastback.  He was cited by the investigating officer for failure to yield and lost in court.  

GEICO was not friendly and actually screwed me.  Long story.  

I have called GEICO for quotes and they quoted me $1,400.00 more than I'm already paying.  WTF's with that  

I wouldn't recommend GEICO.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#31]
FUUUUUUCK Geico.

The GF and I decided we might go with another company so we checked into Geico.

Long story short, they quoted us one price then TOOK TWO PAYMENTS OUT OF OUR CHECKING ACCOUNT WITHOUT TELLING US and, as mentioned, they ended up changing the original price they quoted us.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

We cancelled and went back to American Family who was LESS for MORE coverage on our vehicles, renters insurance (including my weapons) and my boat insurance. The Geico quote was ONLY FOR OUR TWO VEHICLES.

I'd tell someone that I hate intensely to call Geico for insurance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#32]
GEICO costs $500 more a year than I'm currently paying on two cars for the same coverage. Progressive is even worse. BTW I'm married, 36, 2 kids and have a sedan and wagon, no claims, no violations.

If you want to save try some indie agents. Sometimes they have good deals.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I kinda like the lizard doin the robot.........but my favorite is the one where he sings Kung Fu Fighting
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
GEICO MAKES YOU USE UNBRANDED REPAIR PARTS. CAN'T USE FACTORY FENDERS ETC.

This is okay for some cars, and your pet car using substandard parts? I think not.

m4-ak

Not me.

They just cut us a check to get it fixed.  We don't have any stipulation like that.  We can go to who we want for the body work also.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't try to get Geico to insure a sportbike even with a perfect record....Rates in the thousands per year.....They're NUTS! And they wonder why the youger kids (squids) don't have insurance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

WhooaaaoooOOoOOOo.....  whoaaaOoOOOOOoOOOoooO!

Everybody was kung fu fighting! Those kicks were fast......as.......lightning....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
A friend of mine is a gun-toting investigator for Geico.  He says he has so much fun catching the frauds and cheats and then turning them over to the DA.  Some of the stuff is so big they get state time, and in Texas, that is hard time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
A friend of mine is a gun-toting investigator for Geico.  He says he has so much fun catching the frauds and cheats and then turning them over to the DA.  Some of the stuff is so big they get state time, and in Texas, that is hard time.

I'm sure he does.  I hope he has all the ass's put in jail.  

It doesn’t change the fact, my experience with GEICO was nothing but a big pain in the ass.  

I am over 50.  L.E.O. with a near perfect record. No violations in the past 30 years.  Had kid stuff along time ago.  Well off the record.  I'm a home owner with more the highest credit rating a non-millionaire can have.  I have a newer model Chevy van (not a high performance sports car).  

They still quoted me $1,400.00 more than I'm currently paying a year for the same insurance coverage.  Not to mention the crash that totaled my car and they left me out to dry.  

Nothing against your friend.  I'm sure he's a great guy and a great fraud investigator but no way in hell am I going to ever waist my hard earned money on a company that screwed me and wants $1,400.00 more a year for insurance.  

IMHO, those GEICO ads are very miss leading.  At least my experience they are.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:36:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I've had GEICO for over 10 years and have never had a problem. My rates were not jacked up after the first year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Last time I checked wouldnt save me anything, I need to shop for another company still.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Last time I checked wouldnt save me anything, I need to shop for another company still.

I'm a member of AAA.  They "saved me alot on my car insurance".  And home owner's insurance.  Stolen quote from another company.    

Colt_SBR  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top