Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2001 11:31:16 AM EDT
On June 12, 2001 the Democratic Party of Virginia will be holding a primary election. There are three candidates vying for the Lieutenant Governor nomination, and four candidates for Attorney General. Mark Warner is their only candidate for Governor, so there's no choice to be made in that race.

The Republicans are holding a convention, not a primary, to select their candidates. This was a smart move on their part for two reasons: 1) it costs a lot less money, and 2) voters do not register with a party when they register to vote, so a registered voter in Virginia, whether Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, Independent, etc. can vote in any one primary during each election cycle. By holding a convention the Republicans have ensured that only their most hard-core activists will be present to vote.

Since the Democrats have continually blocked voter registration by party in the General Assembly, and they have meddled with other parties' primaries in the past (most recently was their attempt to get McCain the GOP nomination, which would have been a disaster for gun owners), it seems appropriate to return the favor. Hopefully the Democrats will then have a change of heart on registering voters by party during the next session of the General Assembly.

So, I propose that voters from all parties vote in the Democratic primary and cast their ballots for the candidates least likely to win. Here is my analysis of their candidates, their vulnerability, and where they stand with respect to the gun control issue. If you have any thoughts or comments please let me know.

Lieutenant Governor

Richmond Mayor Timothy M. Kaine is anti-RKBA. He was behind the effort to have the city fund the MMM buses last year. His term as mayor ends next year, so if he wins the Democratic nomination but loses the election in November, he simply returns to his job as Mayor of Richmond.

Del. Alan A. Diamonstein of Newport News is anti-RKBA. He was a co-patron of HB 247 last year. As a current delegate, should he win the primary and lose the election, he is out of politics for a few years.

Del. Jerrauld C. Jones of Norfolk is anti-RKBA, and also co-patroned HB 247. As a current delegate, should he win the primary and lose the election, he is out of politics for a few years. He is the weakest of the three candidates, with the least amount of money in the bank and support from the Democratic Party.

***** My Conclusion: Vote for Jones. *****
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#1]
--- message too large, had to split it ---

Attorney General

Of the four candidates, Sen. John S. Edwards of Roanoke is the only one who is pro-gun. However we shouldn't vote for him because we don't want Edwards leaving the Senate and leaving an open seat for a possible anti-RKBA politician; he's just fine where he is.

Del. A. Donald McEachin of Henrico is not only anti-gun, but introduced and co-sponsored several gun control bills this past session. As a current Delegate, if he wins the nomination for AG then that leaves his seat open. Whoever replaces him can't be any worse. Moreover, after he loses the race (I think he's beatable) he'll be out of public office for at least two years.

Del. Whitt Clement of Danville is anti-gun, though his record isn't as bad as McEachin's. He also doesn't have a record of introducing or co-sponsoring gun control bills. As a Delegate he's in the same position as McEachin should he win the AG nomination and lose the race - he is out of public office for two years.

Richmond lawyer Sylvia Clute has stated that she is anti-gun, but she doesn't currently hold a position of power in the government. Let's not give her an opportunity to get one. Don't vote for her.

***** My Conclusion: Vote for McEachin. *****

A final note: I have already received comments from several Republicans and Libertarians stating that they will not vote in the Democratic primary because it goes against their principles to do so. I can respect that. However, in the battle to keep our Second Amendment rights, the ballot box is one of the best tools we have to use in that fight. I intend to use it wherever and whenever possible.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Great info, I copied your post and emailed it to everyone I could think of.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I E-mailed it to a couple of people.  Ill take that into consideration.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Good info. Bubbles.  I have no reservations about voting in their primaries.  I grew up in NC and there the democratic primaries are closed to all but dems but the republican primaries are open to all I believe.  Those pricks routinely used the same tactics.  Hey, if its legal, there's nothing wrong with it.  It doesn't make sense to watch a god given right go down in flames based on principles.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. I've passed it on to 4 other VA voters.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Well count my wife and myself in on it too.  Turnabout is fare play.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
not relevant...
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Bubbles I like the way you think.  Anyone who disagrees with you is either a dedicated democRAT or lacks a fundamental understanding of the way the game is played.  Cheers to your success!

Arock, 1st Place, Karnes County Texas Cemetery Voting Competition.  "Vote Early & Vote Often."
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Great info!  I will email and pass on as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a reminder - the primary is tomorrow, Tuesday, June 12.  GO VOTE!
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Turnout is absurdly light.  The polls opened at 6:00.  I arrived to vote at 7:15.  I was voter #2.

The poll workers and volunteer outside were pathetically glad to see me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#13]
bttt.  The polls close in 7 hours.

I have other reports of extremely light turnout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top