Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 8:04:06 AM EDT
SEALs have been "active" in the space program since its (real) inception. does this worry anybody? what are we afraid of up there??? a band of albanian rebels? ...or even scarier...

[(:|)]

p.s. since the moon landing might have been faked, are SEALs fake too???
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#1]
how about this...why do astranauts carry M-9's(9mm u.s. military sidearms) and huge f#$kin nasa knives into space.... i think the Gov. is worried.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It isn't the seals in space I worry about it is the walruses.  Have you ever seen a pile of their S%it!?!?![;)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]
They were the most qualified for recovering space capsules after a splash down.   I think one SEAL did go through the entire astronut program and actually make it into space, can't remember for certain though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
while i was in the service i remember looking up into space at about 3 in the morning and my buddies saying "hey thats to high for aircraft and satalites dont move like that" it must have been one of thoose.................UUFOOO's
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
-sigh-

SEALs were used in early tests of human endurance to see what the body could withstand along with other physical and mental tests.  

Capt. William M Shepherd will be commanding the new space station when it is completed.  He's already racked up something like 400+ hours on the shuttle.  Hewas actually rejected by NASA when he first tried out for the space program.

He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1971 with a degree in aerospace engineering, and later earned degrees in ocean engineering and mechanical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From there, he served a tour with one of the UDT's before serving in the SEALs.

-SARguy

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Talk about paranoid.  Good Grief!!!  The SEALS were used for recovery of the astronauts and the capsules because they were the most qualified.  And people who even mention the moon landings being faked have been watching too many movies.  I question the grip on reality of those that espouse this crap.  Why must everything good be questioned?

As far as one acutally going into space, read SARguy's post.  If one happens to qualify for the program, so what!  They are probably in the best shape for this type of thing anyway.  And when did astronauts start carrying sidearms?  If they actually do, which is news to me, you must remember that something could go wrong and they could wind up in unfriendly territory, just like any military pilot.  How about a little common sense and less paranoia.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#8]
SORRY i meant UDT/SEAL !!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#9]
To all those paranoid people out there:

I am coming for you!

Thanky you, SARguy for interjecting some common sense.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
how about this...why do astranauts carry M-9's(9mm u.s. military sidearms) and huge f#$kin nasa knives into space.... i think the Gov. is worried.
View Quote

Why carry an M9 when they got plasma pulse rifles in the trunk of the shuttle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Just imagine an accidental discharge of a 9mm handgun in a pressurized spaceshuttle cabin......
I have serious doubts to the statement that astronauts are issued firearms. Knives on the other hand, serve a purpose if the astronauts are forced to improvise the use of the shuttles equipment, for instance cutting out parts of the walls insulation material. Improvisation was shown to save lifes in the Apollo 13 movie.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember all those classified military missions launched by the shuttle? All those missions were probably not all US spy satellites, some missions the astronauts probably opened the shuttle bay doors and pulled in Russian or other countries satellites to remove hardware/software or place electronic monitoring devices within them and place them back into orbit. They might use military personnel for those missions. This is only a guess.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember all those classified military missions launched by the shuttle? All those missions were probably not all US spy satellites, some missions the astronauts probably opened the shuttle bay doors and pulled in Russian or other countries satellites to remove hardware/software or place electronic monitoring devices within them and place them back into orbit. They might use military personnel for those missions. This is only a guess.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
SEALS:Sea,Air,Land,Space?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I dont know what they would shoot but we are pretty sure that firearms will work in space.  But I cant imagine a suit glove fitting in a M9's trigger guard.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Firearms are not carried on shuttle missions.  Armegddon was only a movie.

Point of fact, the lineage of Naval Special Warfare includes NCDU S&R, UDT, and SEALs.  If someone calls an old S&R guy a SEAL, well, he is.  If you want to split hairs on stuff, SEALs is also capitalized.

-SARguy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top