Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2004 10:30:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
1980 at Lake Placid, NY and I remember it well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]

"Do you believe in miracles...? YES!"
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Miracle is a great movie...Kurt Russell did a hell of a job acting.

That's the best G-rated movie I've seen in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
1980, god I was two years old at the time and I know that!
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#8]
It was truly a miracle as truth be told they should have been crushed by the Russian team.  This same Russian squad could have easily beat NHL teams!  These guys were playing chess on the ice while everyone else was playing checkers.  But the USA team had what Bill Murry said in Caddyshack "This crowd has gone deathly silent, the Cinderella story, outta no where"
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Game 6 - USA 4 USSR 3 - that was the last time I cried from a sporting event.  Those kids were amazing and nothing remotely like it has happened in sports since.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
someone mention hockey?

great movie. I was only 10 and hockey wasn't big around these parts then so I didn't see it.

doesn't look good for the NHL season this year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#13]
What made that even a better story was that a couple days before the games began, USA and the Soviets had a exibition match in MSG.  They got killed 11-3.  I play hockey...I'm a hockey fucking nut!  And let me tell you, that Russian squad that held those titles are the best team to EVER come out of hockey.  As for the NHL history, the 91-92 Pittsburgh Penguins are my vote for the best NHL team ever.  Lemieux, Jagr, Coffey, Zubov, Francis, Stevens, Johnson, etc, and then Barasso as the goalie...fuck me.  I think they could have given the Russians a run for their money to be honest with yall.

Hockey is the greatest sport in the world, barred none.  

EDIT: I believe in 1984 was when the US (or perhaps Canada) beat the USSR in the world cup.  Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

(edit): ICE Hockey is the greatest sport in the world, barred none.  

+1

I play also
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
someone mention hockey?

great movie. I was only 10 and hockey wasn't big around these parts then so I didn't see it.

doesn't look good for the NHL season this year.

Joe Thornton and a few others have already inked contracts with other countries.  If that's not a tell-tale sign...

~

I think Forsberg too, back to Sweden?
Av's not my favorite team but he has to be one of the best on ice right now.

ETA: sorry, hijacking going on... back to Miracle on Ice....  

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Alexea Morozov signed with the Russian Pro League for at least one season.  Smart if you ask me.  

Its becoming interesting though.  How did the Penguins afford Mike Recci?  Theres something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.  

Jaromir Jagr is the best, period.  He has THE BEST stick handling and play making skills on the ice today.  1-1, he's unmatched.  6'2' 230lbs.  He is the best the world has to offer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What made that even a better story was that a couple days before the games began, USA and the Soviets had a exibition match in MSG.  They got killed 11-3.  I play hockey...I'm a hockey fucking nut!  And let me tell you, that Russian squad that held those titles are the best team to EVER come out of hockey.  As for the NHL history, the 91-92 Pittsburgh Penguins are my vote for the best NHL team ever.  Lemieux, Jagr, Coffey, Zubov, Francis, Stevens, Johnson, etc, and then Barasso as the goalie...fuck me.  I think they could have given the Russians a run for their money to be honest with yall.

Hockey is the greatest sport in the world, barred none.  

EDIT: I believe in 1984 was when the US (or perhaps Canada) beat the USSR in the world cup.  Could be wrong though.

The Russian team from 81-89 would have taken them apart.  The KLM  (  Vladimir Krutov,  Igor Larionov and Sergei Makarov) probably the best line ever.  They played Chess and did tic-tac-toe passing out on the ice with opposing teams for years.  It is truly a sight to behold watching them turn a sport into an art form.

Larionov went on to play with the Detroit RedWings where Coach Scotty Bowman  (a damn genius), put all Russian squad out on the ice, they played tic-tac-toe with opposing NHL teams.  

BTW, Igor Larionov and Slava Fetisov stood up to the tyrannt Russian coach and Red Army back in the 80's to get Russian players the opprotunity to play in the NHL, mighty fucking big balls back in Communist Days,  the Red Army backed down - it did help them that they both were viewed like Babe Ruth in Russia.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Alexea Morozov signed with the Russian Pro League for at least one season.  Smart if you ask me.  

Its becoming interesting though.  How did the Penguins afford Mike Recci?  Theres something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.  

Jaromir Jagr is the best, period.  He has THE BEST stick handling and play making skills on the ice today.  1-1, he's unmatched.  6'2' 230lbs.  He is the best the world has to offer.

You haven't seen Pavel Datsyuk have you, he stripped ole Jagr a few years ago and made him look silly.
I get Center Ice and watch every game for the Red Wings, this kid will drop your jaw every game, truly sick.

This clip shows Datsyuk completely undressing Marty Turco of the Stars, farking OWNED!!!
www.letsgowings.com/multimedia/031112datsyuk1a.mpg

www.eagle97.freeserve.co.uk/Dats_top10.avi
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

you mean this guy?

My favorite player now that MacInnis is all but retired.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Miracle is a great movie...Kurt Russell did a hell of a job acting.

That's the best G-rated movie I've seen in a long time.

Fantastic movie...go rent or better yet, buy it on DVD...the extra features are actually worth watching....

I'm not much of a Hockey fan, but I did enjoy the movie.

BTW, it's rated PG for "language and some rough sports action".
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you mean this guy?

home.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/jagr.jpghome.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/jagr2.jpg

Yep, that guy!  I got the 98-99 team autographed 8x10.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm actually a big fan of some of the younger players and yes, the top one being Datsyuk (I'm a Wings fan anyway) and I really admire Kovulchuk, Gaborik, Havlat, and Heatly.  BTW, I hope Dany Heatly doesn't get convicted on the vehicular charges.

And I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Bertuzzi - he was wrong, yes, but let the league handle it.

Ahh Bertuzzi is an ass he broke the code... He should be out as long as Moore plus 6 months....
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm actually a big fan of some of the younger players and yes, the top one being Datsyuk (I'm a Wings fan anyway) and I really admire Kovulchuk, Gaborik, Havlat, and Heatly.  BTW, I hope Dany Heatly doesn't get convicted on the vehicular charges.

And I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Bertuzzi - he was wrong, yes, but let the league handle it.

Ahh Bertuzzi is an ass he broke the code... He should be out as long as Moore plus 6 months....

That sounds very fair.  I just wish it was up to the NHL to dole out the punishment.

Don't worry... Its Canada. They will prolly just "endorse" his license...
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Terrific film.  The telegraph Herb recieved sums it up perfectly:

'Beat those commie bastards.'

I need to go buy that DVD as soon as the price goes down a little.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Well, I went and rented the movie last night. One of the best motivational movies I've seen in a long time. Better than Rudy IMHO.

The only thing that disappointed me was not seeing the the goalie skating around the rink with the flag like they played over and over again on the news back in '80.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would consider it disrespect for the flag in a sense that it could be construed as using it for clothing. However, thinking about the atmosphere of what was happening at that time, I think there was nothing wrong with it and actually down right patriotic.

There they were. Our NHL Allstars couldn't even beat the Soviets. We had lost the Vietnam War, the worst humilation we had ever had. The economy sucked. Iran had taken our citizens hostage and the Soviets had invaded Afghanistan and Carter was talking about boycotting the Summer Olypics in the U.S.S.R. and they were concerened the Soviets would boycott the Winter Olypics here and they didn't know if they were even going to get to play. Then add to this, Craig's, the goalie, mother had always dreamed of seeing her son play in the Olypics and he had just recently  lost her and his father was in the stands.

Fast forward to the game. Your on the ice and the adrenaline is flowing through you ten times more than it ever has. The crowd is chanting, "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! The seconds tick down and you finally reach the top of the hill that everyone one said you could never reach. But you've busted your butt to get there and you've made it!

With all that going on, you take that flag and wrap it around you out of pride. You wrap it around you in your victory celebration over an enemy of the U.S. and you carry every single American with you into that celebration.

Yeah, I liked this movie. R.I.P Herb.

Chalk it up to Hollywierd downplaying the patriotism......
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I forgot about how the filmmakers captured the dreary hopelessness of the Carter years during the intro.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#33]
The HBO Sports show "Do You Believe in Miracles" is an excellent documentary as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#34]
When was it that the U.S. Minnesota Ice Hockey team beat the U.S.S.R.?

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I forgot about how the filmmakers captured the dreary hopelessness of the Carter years during the intro.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah Miracle is a great movie.

Couple Things I want to bring up. I am hoping the NHL will fix thier problems. The popularity of hockey is finally starting grow across the country, If there is a lock out its really going to set things back. The sad thing is it the fans who really lose out becuase of this.

Anybody getting fired up about the World Cup of Hockey. Might be the only Hockey we can watch this year. Thats probaly the reason they choose this year to do.

Also Where did Joe Thorton Sign?

Im an Ottawa Senators Fan, My wife is the Wings fan. I Like Havlat, Hossa and Alfredson. But I have to give credit where credit is due, Datsyuk is good at what he does.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
When was it that the U.S. Minnesota Ice Hockey team beat the U.S.S.R.?

Fixed it.

There were some kids from Boston there, too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#39]
That hockey victory was when we turned the corner.  Things really got better after that November when Reagan was elected.  My uncle was a life-long Democrat and he said to me in Dec. 1980 that "things are going to get better now."

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Wasn't it 1984? I remember seeing all the news footage of the guy skating around with the American flag.

Haven't seen that movie yet either. It's on my "To do" list.

Google is your friend
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you mean this guy?

home.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/jagr.jpghome.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/jagr2.jpg

LOL I actually have that Rinkside magazine!

Hockey is the best sport period. Lacrosse is a fun, close second.

Sweep, how in the world did you not know that??? Sorry, no flame, just had to ask. ; )

/AVID hockey fan, used to play, still collects game worn hockey jerseys
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#42]
BTW I was just fine watching the Miracle movie (got goosebumps when they spliced "new" Al Michaels' voice into the original "Do you believe in Miracles?" but I was OK)... Until the credits when they dedicated the movie to Herb Brooks, who didn't live to see the completion of filming but he lived it... then it was all over for me.

Great flick. A couple of inaccuracies but in all, I loved it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top