Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2004 6:45:23 PM EDT
Hi,
I need to transfer a long gun from MO. to NY.
My local FFL is a rapist. He will charge me 10% of the cost plus $25.00 plus NYS sales tax and must be sent from a FFL at my additional cost.
I bought a rifle from a private seller and I want him to send it from his home to a local FFL. My FFL will only take a transfer from another FFL.
Anyone know of a FFL that will transfer from a individual in the Dutchess/Westchester NY area?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're in the Long Island area, I can give you a guy who'll take it from an individual and only charge a flat $25.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you're in the Long Island area, I can give you a guy who'll take it from an individual and only charge a flat $25.

Sounds good but I'm 75 miles north of Queens, a little to far.
Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit because my guy will only transfer FFL to FFL.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My local FFL is a rapist.

It's not Charlie Red in Hopewell JCT, is it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi,
I need to transfer a long gun from MO. to NY.
My local FFL is a rapist. He will charge me 10% of the cost plus $25.00 plus NYS sales tax and must be sent from a FFL at my additional cost.
I bought a rifle from a private seller and I want him to send it from his home to a local FFL. My FFL will only take a transfer from another FFL.
Anyone know of a FFL that will transfer from a individual in the Dutchess/Westchester NY area?
Thanks.

If it is a private sale report the cost as $80, 10% of which will be $8.00.

He doesn't get a dime of sales tax so NYC (not the FFL) is raping you there, bitch to them.

Problem solved.

Would you believe that any gun other than some C&R POS is worth $80?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont know if "charlie red" is the guy who owns "Collector Rifle and Ammo" in Hopewell Jct...But I've done some business with him for the last few years and he's not a bad guy as far as my experience goes; that being said I've never done a transfer with him.  

FYI, the shop is on Rt. 82 in the town of Hopewell Junction which is about 15 minutes from Poughkeepsie.....Dutchess County.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good but I'm 75 miles north of Queens, a little to far.
Thanks anyway.

Dang...you gonna wait and find one next door? Some people drive 75 miles just to get to work every day......picky there, aintcha?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My local FFL is a rapist.

It's not Charlie Red in Hopewell JCT, is it?

HeHeHe, Yup, Charlie's transfer rates are a freakin' joke. Something like $50  or 10% + other crap added on, plus any other fee he can figure out to tack on. I will NEVER use him to do a transfer.

Try the phone book for Blue Mountain Sports in Baldwin Place

Another rip off artist and very high priced on stuff in general.

Listen, do yourself a favor....Go to the Shotgun News website, punch in your zip code under the FFL lookup section, and get in touch with someone in your area for a reasonable fee.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies. I have found someone.
As far as if it's Charlie red- BINGO!
He has some fomula for transfers that have no logic.
As far as quoting a price of $80.00 It won't work. The one time I used Charlie Red for a transfer was from a FFL. It was many moons ago. The rifle was $1500.00, the purchacing FFL sent his FFL to Charlie Red with a serial # and price invoice. I sent the purchacing FFL my payment and Charlie Red's FFL. [no sales tax to the out of state FFL, as with any kind of out of state purchace] When the rifle came to Charlie Red's shop I was banged NYS sales tax $123.75 + 100.00 10% of the first $1000.00 of the rifle + $25.00 transfer fee.
Why did I pay NYS sales tax on a rifle Charlie did not sell to me for $1500.00? because Charlie said Blah Blah Blah bull shit story and some lies for extra support. Translation= I'm a rapist.
No FFL will sell you a rifle for $1500.00 and write a invoice for $80.00.
This was my first and only transfer with him.
Oh forgot to say that he could get the same rifle-but a little different, for me for cheaper.
The story with him is, If he can't sell you or get for you what you want he will F-you in a transfer.
Sometimes I think these small FFLs are their own worst enemies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
In my years of gun ownership I've learned three important rules when it comes to FFL transfers, and FFL's who only take from other FFLs and FFLs who tack on percentages in the name of sales tax / mark ups etc.
The rules are in order of importance.

1) no matter what it takes, how much it costs or how long it takes to travel, ONLY use LRB for transfers.
2) see 1
3) see 2

These guys are hardowrking, honest decent affable folk who not only manufacture American made receivers for M14 and AR15, but also thoroughly believe in the principles that I do (arfkom code of life) - e.g. If the law says FFL's can receive transfers fro mindividuals, then there is no reason to add another layer of BS to the process.

I love going there to chat, browse their surplus gear, and drool over their receivers.

I feel that my transfer fees are promoting the values we all espouse here, by promoting them and what they do.  

I hear dutchess county is friendly as well, and I don't doubt there are other FFLs that are great places to do business, but LRB is the only way to go for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In my years of gun ownership I've learned three important rules when it comes to FFL transfers, and FFL's who only take from other FFLs and FFLs who tack on percentages in the name of sales tax / mark ups etc.
The rules are in order of importance.

1) no matter what it takes, how much it costs or how long it takes to travel, ONLY use LRB for transfers.
2) see 1
3) see 2

These guys are hardowrking, honest decent affable folk who not only manufacture American made receivers for M14 and AR15, but also thoroughly believe in the principles that I do (arfkom code of life) - e.g. If the law says FFL's can receive transfers fro mindividuals, then there is no reason to add another layer of BS to the process.

I love going there to chat, browse their surplus gear, and drool over their receivers.

I feel that my transfer fees are promoting the values we all espouse here, by promoting them and what they do.  

I hear dutchess county is friendly as well, and I don't doubt there are other FFLs that are great places to do business, but LRB is the only way to go for me.

LRB
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Picked up the rifle yesterday. $800.00 private sale from out of state. FFL charged me $35.00 out the door flat. He poped a question that thru me into thinking, he we go..(this fee, that fee, tax,etc..).
It was " I hope you have a trigger lock, if not I have them on the wall for $7.95"
Now I know FFL's in NYS can not sell a rifle without a trigger lock. Any police department in NYS will give you for free, as many trigger locks as you want.  I mention this to him and he says "were not in the buisness of giving away locks" (kinda friendly jokingly way).
At the end of the transaction he says give me $35.00. This guy is a true gentelman and buisnessman. I will use him forever for any more transfers I will be getting.
A far cry from Charlie Red.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top