Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2004 4:57:33 PM EDT
I know this isn't perfect but I was in a little bit of a hurry. It's written in response to a liberal twit who had a (admittedly clever) multiple choice test for the presidency. It was liberal nonsense, so the local representative of the ORP (Ohio Republican Party) asked me to write a response to it. The carrot for my writing (I've done one other, and will probably do more before the election) is a Bush t-shirt (I'm cheap).

Anyway, here's the editorial:

This is written in response to a piece written by Lynn Last (published 8/3). I'd have to say it's one of the most creative and humorous pieces I've seen. I thought I'd write my own multiple choice test. With mixed messages and candidates that seem to agree with each other at times, it can be confusing. Hopefully this will clear some of it up. In fact, it'll be real easy - each question will have only two options.

1) I choose who to vote for based on:
a) their ability to be a competent leader;
b) their ability to win in a game of Scrabble

2) The question of firearms in America is important to me. I want a president that:
a) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, signed a concealed carry bill as governor, and favors little restriction on firearms ownership;
b) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, has an "F" rating from the NRA, and poses with a shotgun while demonstrating poor gun safety

3) War in Iraq is clearly another important issue. My president would:
a) support war in Iraq, and do what it takes to get the job done;
b) support war in Iraq, but vote against funding the war

4) The economy is currently in a strong recovery, but more should be done. A good President would:
a) cut taxes across the board and provide other incentives for business growth;
b) raise taxes on those that create jobs, while increasing handouts and government spending

5) Education is always an important issue. Regarding the No Child Left Behind Act, I would like a President to:
a) support it, sign it, promote it;
b) vote for it, call it "groundbreaking," and then attack it

6) Gas prices are getting higher all the time. The best way to remedy this is to:
a) stabilize the Middle East, starting with a more stable Iraq;
b) support raising the gas tax by an incredible fifty cents per gallon

And finally, the real question of the next election:

7) The war on terror should be fought:
a) on the streets of Baghdad and in the mountains of Afghanistan;
b) on the streets of New York

Edit to say thanks to CavVet for the streets of Baghdad/streets of New York thing - I got permission a while back to use it.

Edit to change formatting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Got some good points.  Its abit hard to catch a quick point out of it.

Try it like this 1) Question
A) Choice
B) choice

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Got some good points.  Its abit hard to catch a quick point out of it.

Try it like this 1) Question
A) Choice
B) choice

I'm sorry, I don't understand your suggestion. What?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
He's just suggesting that you format it differantly for easier reading.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
makes sense to me

great job, wolfie
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
pretty nice, listen to Taxmans advice and break the sentences apart so it looks like a test.

Example

a) their ability to be a competent leader

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree. It's really good, but format more like a MC test:

Question 1: John Kerry and John Edwards are:
                    a.)  The Ambiguously Gay Duo
                    b.)  Assclowns
                    c.) Asshats
                    d.) Lying, elitist Scumbags
                    e.) All of the above

Great Job, SW.

SG
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, ok.

I formatted it the way I did so that it would take up less space to print.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know this isn't perfect but I was in a little bit of a hurry. It's written in response to a liberal twit who had a (admittedly clever) multiple choice test for the presidency. It was liberal nonsense, so the local representative of the ORP (Ohio Republican Party) asked me to write a response to it. The carrot for my writing (I've done one other, and will probably do more before the election) is a Bush t-shirt (I'm cheap).

This is written in response to a piece written by Lynn Last (published 8/3). I'd have to say it's one of the most creative and humorous pieces I've seen. I thought I'd write my own multiple choice test. With mixed messages and candidates that seem to agree with each other at times, it can be confusing. Hopefully this will clear some of it up. In fact, it'll be real easy - each question will have only two options.

2) The question of firearms in America is important to me. I want a president that:

a) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, signed a concealed carry bill as governor, and favors little restriction on firearms ownership;
b) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, has an "F" rating from the NRA, and poses with a shotgun while demonstrating poor gun safety

4) The economy is currently in a strong recovery, but more should be done. A good President would:

b) raise taxes on those that create jobs, while increasing handouts and government spending

5) Education is always an important issue. Regarding the No Child Left Behind Act, I would like a President to:

6) Gas prices are getting higher all the time. The best way to remedy this is to:

7) The war on terror should be fought: a) on the streets of Baghdad and in the mountains of Afghanistan; b) on the streets of New York

Edit to say thanks to CavVet for the streets of Baghdad/streets of New York thing - I got permission a while back to use it.

Is that what you meant?

Snipey, you are gonna be great one day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

7) The war on terror should be fought: a) on the streets of Baghdad and in the mountains of Afghanistan; b) on the streets of New York

Is that what you meant?

Yeah that's what they mean.

I changed the original post. Glad you like the editorial.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
It is like all polls.

He who frames the question controls the answer.

You did good as far as my 12th grade hillbilly education can tell.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Sniff...Sniff...... I could almost shed a tear.

Great job Wolfcub......

You keep givin those liberals hell. Their propaganda makes for great sound bites, but when the rubber hits the road, that dog dont hunt.

Now, was this permission in writing or......

Good Job.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Good stuff!  I like it (but then again, I'm Republican)
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry I didnt get back quicker.  They already covered the format I was taling about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1

(Sage for prez in 2024!)
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

(Sage for prez in 2020!)

Thats where I see him.[
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked for several years as a writer at a software company working on boring technical documentation.  Hope you don't mind the following edit; I cut a lot of words but still kept the basic meaning:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
(__<ARTICLE TITLE>__, 8/3) by Lynn Last was one of the funniest pieces I've ever seen. In response, please consider the following, alternative, multiple choice test:

2) War in Iraq is clearly another important issue. My president would:

3) The economy is currently in a strong recovery, but more should be done. A good President would:

4) Education is always an important issue. Regarding the No Child Left Behind Act, I would like a President to:

5) Gas prices are getting higher all the time. The best way to remedy this is to:

6) The question of firearms in America is important to me. I want a president that:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

The 2nd amendment stuff in the beginning shows your hand too early for this audience (ma and pa America), so I moved it towards the end.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

(Sage for prez in 2020!)

Thats where I see him.[

I wish, but there's no way.

Anyway, I like the idea of putting the 2nd Amendment question at the end. Will change it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Good  job

might add:

XX)   Osama bin laden prefers which candidate?    

a) someone who's got balls and will kick some fucking ass regardless of what Europe thinks
b)   or a true wuss who is a lying  sack of shit

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagged
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Why not? You have the potential.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]
You make very good points. I think that many liberal heads will explode. They will be unable to handle the truth in a manner that blatant and confrontational.

Outstanding!

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Good  job

might add:

XX)   Osama bin laden prefers which candidate?    

a) someone who's got balls and will kick some fucking ass regardless of what Europe thinks
b)   or a true wuss who is a lying  sack of shit

I thought about it, but decided against it. It struck me as too antagonistic for a newspaper.

On the other hand, I helped distribute these flyers a few weeks ago:

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Why not? You have the potential.

Not the potential to keep my mouth shut and play politics with freedom.

Politics is not in my blood. Now helping out candidates' campaigns, I can (and do) do that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#24]
That was really good.

Another good one might be:

I would rather vote for:
A.  Someone who flew jet patrol aircraft for several years.
B.  Someone who got a purple heart for getting rice in his butt.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]
D'oh!  I forgot to log my brother out first.  That was me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Very good IMHO. Would you consider changing the "it" in the following sentence to a "that?"

Hopefully this will clear some of it up.

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Very good IMHO. Would you consider changing the "it" in the following sentence to a "that?"

Not sure what you're talking about. The second sentence of the introduction? I suppose I could change it to "that it is," but changing it to "that's" doesn't seem to have much of a point.

This is the second time in this thread I've misunderstood advice. Maybe something is wrong with me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks damn good.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure what you're talking about. The second sentence of the introduction? I suppose I could change it to "that it is," but changing it to "that's" doesn't seem to have much of a point.

This is the second time in this thread I've misunderstood advice. Maybe something is wrong with me.

I was talking about the sentence "Hopefully this will clear some of it up." In the introduction. I don't know why, but when I read it the "it" in that sentence just didn't sound right. Just a suggestion, but I am not an expert. "That" just sounded better than "it". "That's" or "that it is" would be silly though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Absolutely splendid work my boy!. Tell me how did you vome to be so closely connected with the republican office?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was talking about the sentence "Hopefully this will clear some of it up." In the introduction. I don't know why, but when I read it the "it" in that sentence just didn't sound right. Just a suggestion, but I am not an expert. "That" just sounded better than "it". "That's" or "that it is" would be silly though.

Thanks for the advice. To me, 'it' sounds better.

Does anyone else have a preference?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Absolutely splendid work my boy!. Tell me how did you vome to be so closely connected with the republican office?

Volunteer and go to meetings. I live in a liberal county so they're more than happy to have me. Usually just meeting one person led to another...I went to a meeting of people volunteering to help GWB out, from there my 'boss' invited me to some other meetings. Other candidates needed help so now I really do more for Jimmy Stewart (state rep incumbent) than anyone else (lots of parades - leaving for one in thirty minutes). For Bush my work is pretty much relegated to lit drops and phone banking. Voter ID/registration will commence one students are back in town.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#33]

This is excellent. Can you provide the source file for this flyer?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
www.tenringhosting.com/ViewImage.aspx?PID=2b25a20b-57c3-482c-83ac-fa8cb024efd8

This is excellent. Can you provide the source file for this flyer?

I'll email the guy that made it. I can get a source file in .pdf, I believe.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Excellent. I'll IM you my email addy. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Excellent. I'll IM you my email addy. Thanks.

You have mail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Alright, I just wanted to share that I got it published in both local papers. This is the first letter I've ever had published (the second I've written).
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#38]

First off,

THANK YOU and good job getting off of your ass and standing up for gun rights. Would 1% of gun owners do the same, we wouldn't be in the shitstorm that we're in.

And onto...
Well if all the other copywriters are going to jump in, I might as well...

From this:
6) The question of firearms in America is important to me. I want a president that:

To this:

a) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, signed a concealed carry bill as governor and supports ownership of firearms by responsible citizens;
b) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, votes to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners and demonstrates poor gun safety while posing with a shotgun

Why?
- "responsible citizens", "law-abiding citizens" good buzz words.
- The phrase "little restriction on firearms ownership" is scary to many without clarification.
- contrasts the voting records of a and b.

FWIW...

-Z

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
First off,

THANK YOU and good job getting off of your ass and standing up for gun rights. Would 1% of gun owners do the same, we wouldn't be in the shitstorm that we're in.

And onto...
Well if all the other copywriters are going to jump in, I might as well...

From this:

To this:

a) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, signed a concealed carry bill as governor and supports ownership of firearms by responsible citizens;
b) claims to support the 2nd Amendment, votes to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners and demonstrates poor gun safety while posing with a shotgun

Why?
- "responsible citizens", "law-abiding citizens" good buzz words.
- The phrase "little restriction on firearms ownership" is scary to many without clarification.
- contrasts the voting records of a and b.

FWIW...

-Z

Hmm, I wish I would have thought of the "law-abiding citizens" thing before I sent it in. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Excellent work! Just keep bombarding them with logic. Logic to a liberal is the equivalent of a stake in the heart of a vampire.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#41]
You did a good job, and it's always nice to get it published.  You can't imagine how many liberals you upset.  Maybe in a future editorial or two from "them", you'll find out what "they" think.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#42]
id like that source file as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Congratulations!

How about links to the online editions?

And thanks for the "OBL-I Need you to vote for Kerry" doc.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Congratulations!

How about links to the online editions?

And thanks for the "OBL-I Need you to vote for Kerry" doc.

My letter

Letter that mine was written in response to
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
id like that source file as well.

IM me your addy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#46]
When I read her letter and yours, yours seems to be well written with sense and a bit of logic.  Hers reeks of sarcasm and negativity.  Good job Sniper Wolfe!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Regarding CaptPooby's "Why not 2020" question ...

He won't be old enough.

You have to be 35 to be president.  He's 15 now.  That means in 2020 He'll be 15+(20-4) = 31, which is too young to be president.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
When I read her letter and yours, yours seems to be well written with sense and a bit of logic.  Hers reeks of sarcasm and negativity.  Good job Sniper Wolfe!

I admit that hers is very clever and entertaining.

However, mine uses logic, and owns hers as far as arguments go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Regarding CaptPooby's "Why not 2020" question ...

He won't be old enough.

You have to be 35 to be president.  He's 15 now.  That means in 2020 He'll be 15+(20-4) = 31, which is too young to be president.

2024!

No way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#50]
This girl needs help. Soon.

Lynn Last, a native New Yorker, is a 26-year resident of Southeast Ohio. She lived on a farm in Vinton County for 10 years and in Athens for the past 16. She is a landlord, artist, and part-time assistant to her husband, Dr. Mark Rothstein, whose last name she occasionally uses.

WTF mate?

ETA: I predict Sage WILL run for office. I guaranfuckintee it.
Dude, its written all over you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top