Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2004 6:06:21 PM EDT
Okay, lets rule out FMJ right off the bat. Not interested.

The barrel length is @ 2.75 inches. I'm looking for the best possible combination of expansion and penetration (if that is possible out of a .380). While it's possible to get SOME expansion out of a .380, I surmise that it's weak point is penetration. I've narrowed it down to 4:

1) Remington 102gr Golden Saber. Heaviest available, also the slowest. MV @ 730fps out of the KelTec. Might expand out of longer barrels, but is the low 700's even adequate for penetration?

2) CorBon 90gr JHP +P. HOT load, still breaks 900fps out of the KelTec. Bullet weight doesn't lend much for penetration, but the slightly reduced velocity from the shorter barrel could actually allow slower expansion with deeper penetration (?).

3) Federal 90gr HydraShok. Old faithful standby, but velocity (and perhaps expansion) could suffer as this is a standard pressure round (not +P).

4) PMC 95gr Starfire. Standard pressure load but I don't know much about it other than it seems a good weight compromise between the 90 grainers and the Golden Saber. Velocity out of the KelTec probably won't be impressive, kinda like the Golden Saber isn't.

Well, whadaya think????            
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Speer Gold Dot
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot

Go to www.ktog.org and hear what some others owners say about what works best with their Kel-Tec's.

I personally think the Speer Gold Dots are the best for the P3AT.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot

I haven't had much luck getting decent expansion from Gold Dots of ANY caliber when fired through simulated clothing unless they were pushed to obscene velocities, something that ain't gonna happen out of the KelTec.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
.45ACP...................hahaha

Okay it wasn't funny...

I use to use Hornady Custom 90gr JHP XTP... have always like the way the XTP gets the job done.

MT
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot

I haven't had much luck getting decent expansion from Gold Dots of ANY caliber when fired through simulated clothing unless they were pushed to obscene velocities, something that ain't gonna happen out of the KelTec.

It's a .380. I think I'd worry about sufficient penetration first, and consider expansion to be gravy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot

It's a .380. I think I'd worry about sufficient penetration first, and consider expansion to be gravy.

Ahhh. Point taken!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot

This isn't a flame, but your personal bad experience aside, the GD expands very well in ALL conditions.   GD's expand well both in clothed and unclothed tests, as well as doing well in the barrier penetration tests, according to every other REPUTABLE source I have ever seen (including FBI, Tactical Briefs, personal testing, etc.).  If you're not getting the same results, I would suggest refining your testing procedures.  

As far as needing "obscene velocities," BS.  One of the inherent strengths of the GD bullet design is that it wasn't designed to need insane velocity to reliably expand.  The bullet does its job just fine for me, and I'm partial to the 165 and 180 gr loadings in .40 S&W, the mid-heavy weight 9mm loadings, as well as their .380 loading for my P3AT.  

ABNAK, I would suggest that you take advantage of the hard-chromed slide/bbl offer from Kel-Tec (or at least do a thorough fluff and buff), before you expect it to reliably feed HP carry ammo.  My bone stock P3AT had trouble (defined as "less than 100% function"), with almost every brand/ loading of HP I tried to feed it-not a good thing for a carry/backup piece.  A hard-chromed slide and bbl later, and a good fluff & buff, cleaning and lube, and she is working 100%.  Good luck with yours, and please let us know how it turns out.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top