Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2001 7:58:09 PM EDT
Like most of my collection I got it because I wanted it and by god because I can have it!  I enjoyed shooting the M16 in the AF and wanted one of my own.  yeah, mine's not full auto but what the hell, I'd just spend more cash on ammo.  Plus, they just look cool don't they?  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Rugged, accurate, reliable, good caliber. Lots and lots and lots of parts for these guns, and high cap magazines are easy to find.

Truth be known . . . I want a full-bore, heavy duty "assault style" firearm. High capacity, short, light, semi-auto.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a "must have".
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Because it's cool.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Briefly before I head off to work.

Well, I always liked the AR's appearence but put off buying one for a loooooooong time.

A friend of mine bought an Ak and thought I should do the same. WELL, we JUST couldn't do that, could we! There is nothing like a good friendly case of "one-up-manship", I just had to find something better, something (not hard to do [:)] ) that was more accurate! I usually try to make educated purchases and read and read. My favorite LOOKING rifle was VERY appealing at this point!

He had his AK for several months and shot it regularly, my first time out with the Bushy [not to mention all of his boasting!!!!] I out shot him!.....like I said, not hard to do but there is nothing like destroying one of your life long friends EGO [}:D] [Eviiiil Laugh].
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Good gun for the girlfriend, keeps her away from my M1A.
View Quote

That's my next one.....  But a saw an upper I want today at a local gun store.  Damn it!  Will this fever never end? hahaha
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Family thing.
Shot dads for the first time when I was 6 years old.
Bought my ist AR with my own $$$ when I was 15.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I kept hearing "get 'em while ya can"

So I did!!!

besides - I always wanted one. so it wasn't too hard to convince myself. [:D]  [:D]
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My first was a gift from a group of friends for my birthday. (Yea, I have some great friends.)    They knew I was lusting after one.   This was just before the ’94 “Assault Weapons” ban.   The others were because they seemed to be good ideas at the time.
To tell the truth – Clinton’s asinine legislation pushed me into it, I was more interested in handguns before those Nazis came up with that statist piece of crap.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice and light, easy to carry up the clock tower
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Doorgunner,

Over the last twenty years i have owned and sold the almost every type and design of avalible assault rifle in the current civilian market place. The AR15 belive it or not is the best user friendly assault rifle on the market. I have owned the AR180, Beretta AR70, FNC, HK93, Daewoo K2, Valmet M76 and various other AKM/47 rifles and carbines and the Colt beats all of them hands down. There will people out there that will argue that point, but my Colt preban AR's have been superior products that define true preformance in speed i a comp or tactical enviroments. H&k, FNC and M76 are just expensive eye candy with a lot of Public Relations preformace Hype, so do not get caught up in the B.s. COLT will beat the barn doors off all of them except, Maybe the AUG which is a frontline, top shelf weapon system.
 V 2      
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to subcribe to the one shot theory...
and had shotguns , pellet guns, handguns, bolts....22's..
but never felt the need for a semi centerfire???

untill I was told I couldnt have one!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one because the government does not want me to have one.  I agree with get one or more while you can.  Who knows what will happen in the next couple of years.  Plus, librals hate them and me having one makes me feel good.  I just got a surefire 674 weapon mounted light and Aimpoint M2, so I am ready for anything now.  Not to mention all the ammo and hi-caps I have.   Yah, come get my guns, I dare yah...

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually I have a m17s bullpup.  I was looking for a short, handy, reliable, high capacity rifle and it fit the bill best for me.  Oh and of course there was the piss off the Klintons factor[:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
There is nothing in the world like the feeling you get when the last round out of a 30 rounder (that was full a few seconds ago)is headed down range. Nothing LIKE IT. I have many other weapons including a mini, and it is just not the same. OH,and they look cool. Cant wait for my next one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Ditto to all of the above.  And, more.  I thought if I didn't get one when I did, they would probably ban them and we wouldn't be able to get them later.  Danged near happened, too, didn't it?  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Its versitile, modular, black , engineered for combat ( I'm gettin' a woody ), High capacity , has seen extensive active duty , it pegs the needle on my coolness factor meter , and it looks purdy dang good hangin' out the truck window as I command the respect of inconsiderate drivers with it [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Played with an M16 on uncle sam for a bit over 20 years. The first black rifle I bought was an M17s I like it a lot, than got an FAL, one of my favorites, but I put the AR together just the way I wanted it, and it feels so darn right in my hands. Habit is a hard thing to brake.

Rew
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Same reason I bought about 10% of the firearms in my collection:

BECAUSE THE GOSHDARN GUBMINT WAS THREATENING TO TELL ME I COULDN'T HAVE ONE!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I just thought that it was another rifle.
Little did I know that it was an infection.
That said. I'm not in recovery yet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Same here - but my therapist says I'm getting much better...
Seriously, though, it's an awesome design; analogous to the venerable C-130 Hercules.  It was way ahead of its time, & continues to do what it does seemingly far better than "modern improvements" can.  (I'm a F/E on the H2 Herc so I'm kinda biased...)  I can't think of a more practical weapon/rifle to own.  With all the aftermarket accessories available (& the list grows daily,) why would you choose anything else?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
1) general interest in firearms and military firearms.
2) wanted something new and exciting and had a tax return on it's way.
3) figured I should get one before you can't get one anymore.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
1]I had always played with the little ones when I was a kid.

2]I had always wanted a rifle that looked like the rifle our military uses.

3]I wanted a rifle that everyone in the USA would recognize.

4]I love to shoot .223 rifles.

5]I won $1000 in the lottery so I could afford one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
When I bought my first AR, I was an infantry platoon leader and I just liked the hell out of the M16 and wanted one like it for my own.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Good idea at the time. not into heavy-kicking loud guns. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't have to worry about scratching a fancy wood finish.

The already mentioned modular design, the endless configurations and accessories.

Solid accuracy and reliability; a combat tested, world class weapon system (especially when compared to my Mini-14).

But the MAIN reason .... it's all the Army's fault, for putting an M16 [uzi] in my hands at the very impressionable age of 17 [thinking] !!!

Chris

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't laugh.....
I bought my first AR15 because when I went to the local gun shop they were all out of Mini-14's!!!
Most of my friends had either Mini-14's or Ranch Rifles, and I wanted to be able to go plinking like they did, plinking with 30 rounds of ammo at a time.
Up until I bought the AR15 I had only owned bolt action rifles.
Best buy I ever made! Now I only wish that I haden't sold that AR15 back in 1988!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I was actually looking for an HKUSP45 at a gun show but not one to be found.  Someone was selling a frankengun for cheap so I bought it.  I already owne a couple AKs but my brother was the AR person.  I actually used to make fun of his little .22.  I must say that franken gun has never skipped a beat, been as reliable as the AKs and much more than my M17.  Glad I got it.  Just wish I lived in a free state where I could add to the collection.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#31]
1. Needed a higher power rifle.
2. Liberals(and by extension the gov't) hate them
3. Interested in military weaponry, had to have my own.
4. Looks cool!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Good gun for the girlfriend, keeps her away from my M1A.
View Quote
                           I traded a jam-o-matic MAC10 for a new 20" HBAR to some knuckle head at a gun show.I wanted one so my wife would let me shoot the M1A. Now Iwanna build me an M4 thingy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I was born with the right
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#34]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/kilrath_ac/freemcuzi.txt[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#35]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/kilrath_ac/freemcuzi.txt[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I was into handguns for quite some time and never really got into long guns at all besides a shotgun for hunting. To make a long story short.....shot a friend of mine's AR at the range one day....and the rest as they say, is history!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#37]
my cousin went to school in MO. he came back with a degree and a NIB bushy 16" collapsable sweetie! i had never seen one in person, and once the chubby subsided, i read the manual cover to cover and vowed to have one! we discussed why the AR, and he said simply this: American made, American military caliber, ALL GI stuff fits, is cheap and easy to get. think about the SHTF scenario too - everything is on US soil, and will be easy to get parts, ammo, etc.

BTW: he bought it right after the ban for $800.00!!!    [:(]   and has yet to fire it! i guess he wants to retain collector value status or something.

since then i built an ugly m4gery, put 2000 rounds through it with NO failures, and i LOVE IT! i love ALL AR's, i'm hooked!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#38]
i used 1 30+ yrs ago in asia saved my bacon then and in 15 more countries where i worked for uncle sugar,since then.

depended on it then and now to cover my a--

have 4 preban in all configurations
sold m-16 "s too noisey

would bet my life on 1 tomorrow

F--- THE GOVT THAT FEARS MY GUN.

jjw     airborne'  SIR"
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Actually the AR15 was my 2nd choice.

First Choice was a [b]Full Automatic bolt action magnum revolver machinegun[/b].  Unfortunately, the press lied and I found out there was no such thing.  Therefore, I got the AR15.  [:P]

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Loved my M16 in the Army, and I wanted a rifle I could trust.  Hell yeah, since I didn't regret buying the first AR15, I went and got another one.  I haven't regretted that one yet, so...
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#43]
The Army put one in my hands and I liked it!

Then for the next 2.5 years I humped a M-60 and looked longingly at my bretheren carrying that light little rifle.

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#44]
The PRK said I couldn't have one. So I bought a bunch!

The AW ban sold more rifles in CA than any advertising campaign.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm w/ OpperatorError on this one.  I got mine because the PRK wanted to ban them.  I had no interest until then.  Now I am an enthusiast!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#46]
the first weapon I ever fired,and the first weapon I ever owned.I love it,it's new,and made by an Army gunsmith.I just got back hiking with it,what a FANTASTIC WEAPON!!!
AR's rock!! it's badass AND functional!!!
I LOVE MINE!!!
I'll be going into the Army soon,so I'll have some trigger time before I go there.....hehe!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I always wanted a semi in a military caliber, but I didn't really care for the AR due to its price (and at the time) its reputation for reliability and accuracy.  And I could NOT afford an M1A.  Long about 1986 I bought an AK-47 - $289 including two magazines and bayonet.  FUN!  However, after the numbnutz in California shot up a schoolyard with one and the price on them doubled, I sold it so I could get a deer rifle.  Bad mistake.

Since then I wanted to get another gas gun, but I like accuracy, so I thought I was going to be limited to an accurized M1A until I started doing some real research.  Turned out that you CAN get an accurate AR, and they're a helluva lot less expensive to purchase and to shoot than a comparable M1A (just not as much range).  So, I had an AR custom built to my desires.  FUN!

Also, I like the fact that it uses standard military issue ammo, and I REALLY like the fact that it P.O.'s the liberals.  And if they want to take it from me, they risk getting it ammo first.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#48]
To shoot in IPSC 3-gun competition but now I want more,more,more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#49]
I have my AR's and 45's for several reasons:
1) There wonderful calibers and well made pieces.
2) Your always going to be able to find 223 and 45 rounds no matter what happens with gun laws etc.
3) What avid shooter wouldn't want a reliable accurate weapon that can be so much enjoyment and a great defense weapon also!
4) Just look at the two pieces, they are sharp looking, user friendly, and you'll always find parts for them too!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I was fresh out of college in 1984, was a manager of a lumber yard, and several guys invited me to shooting on one of thems property.  A couple of them were Vietnam Vets, and I brough my assortment of wheelguns.  Well, when I arrived, they were bumping and grinding with a pair of AR-15's, and let me try them out.  30 rounds later, I was hooked bad, and have been infected ever since.

I just wish I had been smart enough to buy silencers, FA stuff and the like, instead of getting married, soon after.

Now I'm trying to do my part to get these evil rifles off the street.  I buy as many as I can, and then I buy a couple more for my kids! [8P]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top