Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2001 5:04:24 PM EDT
When you go to a gun shop and you think they are high on price do you haggle or just leave?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't hurt to ask?  And if you save a few bucks great.  In some countries its expected.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I will haggle on used guns but I dont I new ones
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I will haggle on used guns but I dont I new ones
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on shop and gun.

Local shop posts advertised specials. I don't haggle on those because they are already pretty darned good: sig 229 $550 and Kimber SLE $640.  But they WAY overprice everything else so I will do nothing but haggle.

If they think you are serious they will haggle. Went in to buy a Ruger 22/45 and saw a trailside target.  Commented on how much I liked the gun but kept going back to the ruger. They kept coming down on the price so I picked up the trailside for less than what my brother paid for his non target right before SB15 went into effect.

Like said before, never hurts to ask.  Just don't tell them that So and So has them for this much.  Most dealers hate that.  If the other shop has them cheaper just go there.  Unless it is someone you have a history with and want to offer them the chance first.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Waldo, the magic phrase "Is that the best you can do?" has saved me some serious cash.  I hang out in local gun stores, so they all know me.  They generally make me good deals from the start, so I don't have to haggle.  Gun shows are another story.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't really haggle. I'll put a price on something to sell it. That's what I want for it.
I also have a set price that I'm willing to pay for certain items at certain times.
I have not paid more than $30 for USGI M14 mags.
I saw one today for $60 and wanted to say I'd go way up to $35 for it NIW.
I didn't for fear that I'd be a cheapskate.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:04:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Never was one to haggle. I set a price in my head if it's not there i walk on
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/kilrath_ac/freemcuzi.txt[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a threshold price.  If it's below that price, then it's low enough and I buy it.  The gunshop I frequent has great prices anyway.  I spend literally thousands of dollars there, and they have always treated me right.  Just yesterday I found a pair of TZ-75 grips that were just sitting there in the display case.  I asked how much and they just gave them to me.  I have to do a little more fitting to get them on my CZ-75, but they're better than the "target" grips on there.  I stopped by their table at the local gunshow a couple months ago and spied a HK P9s.  I asked, "How much?"  He said, "$350."  I said, "I'll take it! By the way is it a .45 or a 9mm?"  I don't worry about a couple bucks (or even details like caliber) when it's a great deal staring me in the face!  Little extras like that, and the fact that their prices are great in the first place have pretty much ended my haggling there.  I know what I like, and they do as well (You know you spend too much money somewhere when they see you walk in the door and hand you a rifle that they know you'd be interested in without you asking).  I also know what something's worth, and they do as well.  I have no problem paying a fair price.  

I don't mind haggling at a gunshow or private party ad if they're high.  There's no point in throwing money away, but I don't mind paying for service.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I try to keep up with the "dealer price" by researching Shotgun News and the dist. flyers (I have a C&R FFL which gets you all kinds of info.) I add shipping and reasonable profit and take into consideration extras such as being able to hand-select from 3 or more examples, customer service if there is a problem, maybe an extra mag. or a 100 rounds of ammo. All this ciphering gives me my "fair" price I'm willing to pay (maybe I'll go $5 or $10 dollars more) I'll offer this price and if the dealer accepts great if not that's OK too. I've found that I now have a short list of dealers who know I'm informed, serious and that my money is good. When I call these guys now there is very little haggling to be done. Let them know your informed and they respect you. Pay on-time and without hassle and they appreciate you. I actually had a dealer talk me out of a piece because of the comments he received from other customers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I always haggle.  I think its part of the fun.  The way I see it is: the seller is out to make as much profit as he can and the buyer is out to get the best deal that he can.  Coming to a good in-between price is where it should be.  I've been ripped off a few times and I've haggled down to very good prices also.  In the end, I think it usually comes out even.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wont sign fo' nuttin no mo! Haggle at shows though. They overprice things to end up with what they wanted in the first place.
View Quote

Agreed. I don't sign for anything either. And I ALWAYS haggle at the gun shows.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/kilrath_ac/freemcuzi.txt[/img]
View Quote

STOP IT ALREADY! GEEEEZZZZZ
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#18]
only cars.

[bounce]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#19]
One thing that always get on my nerves is a shop owner who put high prices on everything, and then immediatly starts offering you a "deal" the moment you look at something. If you want a price, PUT IT ON THE DAMM PRODUCT! Don't make me waste my time trying to get it out of you.
View Quote

Garand Shooter, I couldn't agree with you more.

When I liked in Jacksonville there was a shop that advertised that they would beat any competitor's price by at least $10. What they didn't say is that their regular prices were hundreds of dollars over their competitors, so if you didn't do your homework, you got screwed.

Fortunately, the only gun I ever bought from tham in that manner was my brand-new PolyTech Legend AK-47 underfolder, which at that time went for the outrageous price of $1,300. Ive actually seen the damned thing going for up to $4,000, so I'm not complaining.

What I did was turn thier claim against them. I'd shop around and find the lowest price. Then I'd subtract $50-$100. Tehn I'd stroll into the shop and let them know the "competitor's" price and demand the $10-below guaranteed price. It almost always worked, and even when it didn't, I'd get the lowest price I'd seen plus some accessories.

Like you said though: It'd be better if they just posted their minimum price and stood by it!

KYPD.....

- Bad Karma
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I usually know the "market" price before I go in.  If the guy is within a few bucks, I'll buy.  If he's outrageous, I tell him that the market price is X dollars and give him the chance to meet the price or come close.  If not, I walk. No hard feelings, but also no sale.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I will this weekend at the WAC show, I want to pick up a Bushmaster carbine,

think I could get one for around $700? Cheaper?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#22]
ms70, are you trying to get to "GodLevel" with this lame "Free McUzi" post, and the inevitable annoyed responses? Where is he incarerated? What is he incarerated for? Does the Commonwealth have a righteous case against him for whatever he did? If not, give us the particulars. If not, give it a rest. Maybe, even, (gasp) guy an AR, or even a .22 rimfire, and go to the range and Shut The Fuck Up!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#23]
If the gun is used or if the shop has one piece only I haggle. If you're regular to the shop you can spot the stuff that's not moving. Never hurts to make an offer on some of that stuff.

I got my Bushy AR flat top with the floated 16" heavy barrel for a good price because the shop was out in the boonies and the locals like "deer rifles."

I don't get too mean about haggling, but it never hurts to ask. I usually ask if I get "the good ol' boy discount."

I have a dealer who consistently gives me deals on merchandise because I'm a "regular" (and a good ol' boy).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top