Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 12:06:11 PM EDT
My wife called me at work rather freaked out. She said two men in suits came to the door wanting to talk to her about "Stopping terrorism" - wanted to give her brochures and come in.  She turned them away and was very suspicious.  They were driving a brand new SUV with Iowa plates (the state that we live in).  I wonder if this is our government at work?   Seems strange as we were the only one on the block visited - probably the only one with guns.  They would not ID themselves or say were they were from.  Very strange indeed.  I came home - went to the local sherrif's office - they were keeping an eye out.  Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well said Imbro.

But, accurate nonetheless.

bkbean.......................i'd watch my six if I were you.

Lock up, light up, load up and look out IFKWIM
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
In IOWA?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds Like the Johova Witness To bad they dont make a repellent to kep them away form your house .

Rob.....
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't mind me asking...
roughly WERE in Iowa.

I live north of Des Moines, and would like to make sure I avoid this.

Sir Hacksalot
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You would think that if they were from a legitimate, if misguided, orginization they would have identified themselves.
Can you imagine someone from PETA giving you their spiel, and then not wanting to tell you what org. they were from?
And your's was the only house on the block they visited.
Even though you talked to the sheriff's office, insist on filing a report.
That way you'll have a permanent record of the incident.

This really sounds suspicious! Watch your SIX!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeh where at in Ia???? I live in Madrid 21 miles N of DesMoines.   [sniper]
Sir Hacksalot where do you live?

The JW in my area drive an old black checker cab.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
that's why I answer the door with a gun in each hand and my AR strapped to my back.

[whacko]
[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't throw away anything, no matter how innocent it seems, that could be used to incriminate you. Take it to work and use the trash there or use a dumpster behind a grocery store.

If they find empty smokeless powder containers for example, they could get some dumbass judge to sign a search warrant for bomb making materials.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely not law enforcement as this would be a serious rights violation including illegal search and seizure, entering premises on false pretenses, and entrapment.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Definitely not law enforcement as this would be a serious rights violation including illegal search and seizure, entering premises on false pretenses, and entrapment.
View Quote

But that is standard operating procedure for the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I would make sure my wife had a session with
an artist and a hypnotist to get as good read on these guys as possible. I would not let it go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think it was strange or disturbing.  Des Moines is a well-known hotbed or terrorist activities.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Is someone making threats against all the corn?

radioman
[whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
All your corn are belong to us!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would make sure my wife had a session with
an artist and a hypnotist to get as good read on these guys as possible. I would not let it go.
View Quote

Artist yes, hypnotist no. There is no proof that hypnotism enhances recall and much evidence that it degrades it.
This sounds to me like a religious cult looking for money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, maybe they were casing the joint.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Right, they would never do that.  That would be unethical and illegal.  
View Quote

Exactly.  Nothing like that has ever happened.

BTW, I'd make sure to stay on REALLY good terms with the wife.  Besides, she deserves a real nice surprise for standing up to these guys.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#22]
BKEAN...I live right in the middle of Des Moines, on my way to work the other day I saw a Black SUV, with government plates. It was all black, black tinted windows, black brush guard and a very hopped up engine with large tires. I just thought that was strange what you said, because I have never seen one of these SUV's before.Us members of Iowa need a gathering point. Then again, maybe I'm just a little paranoid [:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
hey, this is why I don't post pics of my arsenal on the net.

geez, I just admitted I have one.  We need to start accessing this site through an anonymous proxy service, have you guys seen those?  cleans your net travel completely.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Perhaps an inspection of yer sphincter and colon are in order,as these sound like alien chasers hot on the trail of some probees.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like you're in some dark, deep, serious kimshee.  I'd think I'd talk with my lawyer now.  Remember the old FBI trick of arresting you on Friday afternoon, that way you have to stay in the slammer until Monday; hard to contact people like your lawyer at 4:59 p.m. on a Friday.  Additionally keep a camera or cameras (regular and/or video) at the ready.  When/if they next come to the door greet them with the video camera.  Follow them to their car with it.  Document, document and document.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like the Jehovah’s witnesses to me.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I picked up a gun from my FFL last night (this should set off the alarms somewhere - ha ha) - he said the Mormons were busy in town and that they were not IDing themselves.  Perhaps I peed off the last group that visited (hope that was it).  I live in Missouri Valley (north of Council Bluffs) - there are more CCW lic in our county then any other % wise is Iowa.  It will be a hard county for the gun grabbers to crack.  Everyone seems to have CCW (except in my upscale neighborhood).  I am calling the Mormons tonight - going to get to the bottom of this.   My wife is still freaked.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

geez, I just admitted I have one.  We need to start accessing this site through an anonymous proxy service, have you guys seen those?  cleans your net travel completely.
View Quote

yep... [url]http://www.anonymizer.com/[/url]

Aviator  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Dude, man the Mormons don't wear suits, just white shirts with ties.  They also go door to door thoroughly covering a neighborhood, not just to one house.  Furthermore the Church doesn't pay for fancy brand new SUV's.  Dude, wake up, it ain't some church group soliciting for their bake sale.  Don't waste time rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.  This is a real threat.  Act accordingly.  Talk with your local law enforcement.  Call a reporter at your local paper.  Get a video camera.  Contact an attorney.  Your wife is freaked for a freakin good reason.  Talk to your neighbors.  Take action.  Be prepared.  Don't waffle dude, tomorrow's Friday - they were just sniffin you out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#30]
How do you know you were the only house on the block that was visited?  I call B.S. on this one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I picked up a gun from my FFL last night (this should set off the alarms somewhere - ha ha) - he said the Mormons were busy in town and that they were not IDing themselves.  Perhaps I peed off the last group that visited (hope that was it).  I live in Missouri Valley (north of Council Bluffs) - there are more CCW lic in our county then any other % wise is Iowa.  It will be a hard county for the gun grabbers to crack.  Everyone seems to have CCW (except in my upscale neighborhood).  I am calling the Mormons tonight - going to get to the bottom of this.   My wife is still freaked.
View Quote

Did someone suggest going to the local newspaper, or is it a McDaily?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey bkean,  give us your status report?  Do you have any further intel to report?  Hope the reason why you're not responding is because you've been busy, not because something bad has happened to you.  Hope you have thoroughly "cleaned" your house.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How do you know you were the only house on the block that was visited?  I call B.S. on this one.
View Quote

Do you suppose he went knocking on their doors and asked them?  Oh no, wait, I forgot, they wouldn't tell the truth - it's all part of the secret B.S. conspiracy.

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Sit. Update:  Everything is calm, sorry I haven't updated lately (wife is illin' with pregnancy and youngest soon has asthma bad) - local police couldn't track them down - J.W. and mormon's won't answer phones at their tabernacles - I put up signs that say "no soliciting" (wife wouldn't let me put up NO TRASPASSING signs).  So to help prevent terrorism I bought two more guns. Is that good?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah common Todds92, we know that's a tall tale, if it was a black SUV in Iowa it'd have white cow spots painted on it[:P] For a gathering point may I suggest Brenningans(sp?) off I 80 at exit 131, have good selection of brews to ponder cornspiracys over[:D]

Jim
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

yep... [url]http://www.anonymizer.com/[/url]

Aviator  [rolleyes]
View Quote

new digital camera, addiction to AR15.com, I just couldn't help myself.  I'll try the proxy though...

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Where the guys old or young?
Where they clean shaven, short hair?
Where they in good physical condition?(i.e. no beer gut)
Did they have any noticeable accent, southern, midwestern, northern, etc?
Did they speak in a professional manner or did they use curse or uses slang?

Basically try and figure out if these guys were just scopin' your place out for a robbery, or if it was actually a gov. org. trying to Ruby Ridge your ass!!

Either way I would definintley be on alert.

Chances are if they were not clean shaven, professional looking characters then they were probably local guys who heard you own some firearms, hoping you or your wife would let them in so they could scope them out to see if they were worth stealing.

If they weren't local guys ...............
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds like the Jehovah’s witnesses to me.

THISISME
View Quote

I would lay money on it being Johovah's Witness, I had them here too a wekk or too ago. I have one at work and she was reading one of the magazines and it talked about stoping terrorism in it. It had a picture of a Terrorist on the cover it cuaght my eye and I thought it was a cool magazine then I saw where is came from.

Six
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sit. Update:  I put up signs that say "no soliciting" (wife wouldn't let me put up NO TRASPASSING signs
View Quote

Probably because you can't spell!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks sixgun - I will take it under advice.  007- I am a coder, not a speller.  Thanks for your wise (Xss) input, however.  Let me guess, adolescent gun-owner want-to-be or simple jerk?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I think you guys have been watching too many movies if you really thing the government is after this guy.  If they suspected him of something they would probably just observe his activities instead of approaching his house dressed like the MIB.  If they had evidence that he was involved in some illegal activity they would just arrest him. If the FBI can't even catch one of their own spying for a foreign government do you think they have the resources to conspire against this guy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#42]
The exact same thing just happened here in GA to my neighbor (who just happened to be cleaning some of his handguns the same time the doorbell rang - no shit!)  The 2 men were dressed in a shirt & tie, & had backpacks (sound like JWs to me) & when they saw that he still had a cleaning rag wrapped around a J-frame Smith, they found an excuse to move along.
Heads up, the only reason they didn't visit the rest of us is that we all religiously fly the Stars & Stripes, & JHs won't go near a residence w/ that statement up.  It obviously worked the other day!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:09:52 AM EDT
[#43]
OPERATION: SWORDFISH??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top