Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 11:31:37 AM EDT
I have fired 400 rounds through my ar, 120 at rapid fire.  180 without cleaning.  Is this a lot, no!  But, after all the horror stories about ar's being a piece of crap that jam every other round, etc...  It is bullsh$t, don't believe the hype.  I don't think I want to blow through 1000 rnds in one day just to prove the point, but I would bet the ar can handle it.

Yep I am preaching to the choir, but hell, I am sure there are some people on this site who haven't bought an ar yet, so for all of ya'll, go ahead, they are great guns, the best damn semi-auto there is, period!  You will not be disappointed.  You just have to clean it every few hundred rounds, but so what, if don't want to clean a gun, why are you shooting in the first place?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You are preaching to the converted. The AR is accurate and reliable, and doesn't deserve the reputation it has.
That being said, it IS a bit more sensitive to dirt and grime than other rifles in its class- such as the Daewoo DR200. However, in a combat situation, if you are taking well-aimed shots, not spraying and praying, you will probably be dead before you hit 500 rounds.
You may not be able to bury it in the mud like an AK, but I would rather know a rifle inside and out, being familiar with its parts and workings, than have something that went *bang* and gets put away.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I put 5,000 rounds through two uppers one weekend with my M16 without a single stoppage.  That included 1,000 tracers as well.  One was a 20" heavy barrel and the other was a 11.5" shorty. There was no cleaning during the weekend, only an occasion oiling of the carriers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
120+180=300 rounds.  

Obviously, the 100 rounds that are unaccounted for jammed up and you're not telling us.

Why do you have to lie to us?  We all know that the AR15 is inferior when compared to that of the Kalashnikov series.  Why can't you all see that?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
TopCrest=Belligerent fucker

Hey, we all have our own opinions, so lay off!  In extended fire, the M16A1 outlasted the Galil in a NATO trial when selecting the SS109.  Here is a link for that:
[url]http://www.prairienet.org/guns/arms/ar15.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Topcrest=Sarcastic Joker
Greech=Gullible Fellow

Just calm down man, he was just joking.  For all we know, the 100 rounds missing from the equation were either slow fired or the rifle was cleaned first.  Then again, Darin may be bad at math... jk [8D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to post my SP1 story of reliability, but it pales in comparison to the ones above.  Most of the people you hear saying the M16/AR15 are those fatheads on Tales of the Gun who don't look like they ever spent a day in the military, much less combat.  They certainly haven't been to AR15.com.  I'm glad to know the AR/M16 is as reliable as before mentioned.  By the way, for the most part I do like the show Tales of the Gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quick story:  Over the weekend we had a large MG shoot up here in Alaska.  A buddy entered a competition in which you mow down 20 targets & whoever has the most holes in all, wins.  He used a Colt A1 with a pencil barrel.  He ran 480rds through it on full auto (holding trigger down), no stopping execpt to swap mags, he baked the bluing off, bubbled & melted the handguards & burned his hands a bit.  Anyway, he won the event & his weapon did not malfunction once.  About an hour later, he used it again for another event where he fired another 350rds full auto, again without a hitch.  Now, I wouldn't recommend doing this if you care about the asthetics of your upper receiver, but as he said (I just drop on another upper when this one melts!)  Makes a true believer out of ya!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys sound like a bunch of cheerleaders.  I have jammed ARs and I have broken ARs.  I also have fired many many rounds with no problems, but those of you who think the AR is infallible haven't shot enough rounds through enough examples.  I still like 'em, but the AR is far from perfect.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I know you guys probably wouldn't do this but I wanted to test my Bushie.

I have gone through over 5000 rnds in my AR without cleaning it, rapid fire, slow fire, in the rain, and never once had a jam.

I have used all kinds of ammo, PMC, Wolf, S&B, Q3131, Remington UMC, South African Berdan.  Not once have I ever had a jam, my Bushie never fails, and man is it dirty in there.

I am trying to see how far it will go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It took about 50 phone calls and two trips back to Bushmaster to get my rifle to function.

They said it was a MYSTERY.  The replaced the barrel and bolt and it's jam free now.  MYSTERY!

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By Chairborne Ranger:
You guys sound like a bunch of cheerleaders.  I have jammed ARs and I have broken ARs.  I also have fired many many rounds with no problems, but those of you who think the AR is infallible haven't shot enough rounds through enough examples.  I still like 'em, but the AR is far from perfect.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
120+180=300 rounds.  

Obviously, the 100 rounds that are unaccounted for jammed up and you're not telling us.

Why do you have to lie to us?  We all know that the AR15 is inferior when compared to that of the Kalashnikov series.  Why can't you all see that?
View Quote

Once I clean the camel shit off my maadi, it isn't a bad weapon!  But, to answer your question, the other 100 I cleaned after so I didn't count that in the rant.  I figured I could pull some governmental math ( lots of figures and none that add up ) and ya'll would buy it, oh well, busted!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Topcrest=Sarcastic Joker
Greech=Gullible Fellow

Just calm down man, he was just joking.  For all we know, the 100 rounds missing from the equation were either slow fired or the rifle was cleaned first.  Then again, Darin may be bad at math... jk [8D]
View Quote

Nah have a degree in math.  My writing skills have fallen off over time, oh well.  I guess those were the brain cells that got burned off from all the heavy drinking!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top