Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/24/2023 8:59:29 PM EDT
Got a new keyboard today after using a Logitech mechanical with blue switches for a while. My wife was tired of hearing my clicky keyboard noise when she was taking phone calls

GMMK Pro with linear switches and GMK Cyberdeck keycaps Depending on how I get used to these switches I may upgrade to a tactile switch down the line. One of the benefits of hot-swap

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.  I've never tried the blue before.

I really like my G915 Lightspeed.

I was out looking around and noticed that Walmart had the Razer Blackwidow on clearance for $60 in case anyone was interested in a cheap mechanical keyboard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My wife was tired of hearing my clicky keyboard noise
View Quote
Time to eject.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Even the non-click keys still make a lot of noise.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my Ducky Shine with cherry blue switches.  I could see how it could get annoying.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Linear > Tactile > Clicky

Black Ink for typing and Milky Yellow Pro for gaming
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was out looking around and noticed that Walmart had the Razer Blackwidow on clearance for $60 in case anyone was interested in a cheap mechanical keyboard.
View Quote

Blues are loud. They're like the old IBM Model M where there's a loud click with every key press.

Linears are pretty quiet considering, and this keyboard has several layers of foam which helps reduce the ping noise even more.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using the K100 with the OPX switches. I really like it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love my Ducky Shine with cherry blue switches.  I could see how it could get annoying.
View Quote

The Shine 7 is one of the keyboards I was considering but they have long lead times. mechanicalkeyboards.com said they are expecting summertime for a brown (tactile) re-stock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a GMMK 2 with the Fox Switches that I love except for the size.  I was hoping the nearly full-size would suffice but I really need a full size for muscle memory.  I have been waiting on them to release their full size with the fox switches or have another presale of them by themselves so I could build one but no dice yet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Model M. Currently typing on a May 15, 1995 vintage IBM by Lexmark.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got a GMMK 2 with the Fox Switches that I love except for the size.  I was hoping the nearly full-size would suffice but I really need a full size for muscle memory.  I have been waiting on them to release their full size with the fox switches or have another presale of them by themselves so I could build one but no dice yet.
View Quote

I am planning on buying a separate numpad at some point but not the GMMK version. I don't need a slider or another knob. I am looking at Keychron for that. Machined aluminum with a simple design.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a whole different sub-genre of enthusiasts dedicated to those keyboards. Amazing so many are still perfectly usable. Those switches are durable
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There's a whole different sub-genre of enthusiasts dedicated to those keyboards. Amazing so many are still perfectly usable. Those switches are durable
View Quote

I have only used 2 in 23 years. The one went bad maybe 10 years ago when the spacebar got lazy, didn't sound right anymore, still worked though. I might send it off to clickykeboards.com to get refurbed, just haven't.  I have a couple more in storage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Blues are loud. They're like the old IBM Model M where there's a loud click with every key press.

Linears are pretty quiet considering, and this keyboard has several layers of foam which helps reduce the ping noise even more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have tactile on my 915.  They are loud enough.

I wouldn't mind trying the linear at some point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I use an Asus TKL with cherry MX brown.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my das keyboard with blues.

Sounds like a freight train rolling by and is heavy and large enough to serve as a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one of the reasons I wanted a hot swap PCB. There is an incredible amount of switch options available now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like my das keyboard with blues.

Sounds like a freight train rolling by and is heavy and large enough to serve as a weapon.
View Quote

Yeah this thing is incredibly heavy for the size. Its listed at 1.5kg and its not a full size.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to use a Logitech G910 mechanical keyboard, but wanted something a bit smaller. Plus, the mechanical wasn't a huge thing for me. I like, just not really my thing. So now I use a Logitech MX Keys paired with a Logitech MX Master 3S mouse. Both are wireless and have a good battery life. Plus, both have 3 channels you can switch between and pair them to different devices. The mouse I only use on my computer, but the keyboard is paired to my computer and my phone. So if I need to type a long text, I can hit the switch and start typing.

I will say that I've been using Logitech products (keyboard, mouse, headphones, webcam) for years and have never any issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to use a Logitech G910 mechanical keyboard, but wanted something a bit smaller. Plus, the mechanical wasn't a huge thing for me. I like, just not really my thing. So now I use a Logitech MX Keys paired with a Logitech MX Master 3S mouse. Both are wireless and have a good battery life. Plus, both have 3 channels you can switch between and pair them to different devices. The mouse I only use on my computer, but the keyboard is paired to my computer and my phone. So if I need to type a long text, I can hit the switch and start typing.

I will say that I've been using Logitech products (keyboard, mouse, headphones, webcam) for years and have never any issues with any of them.
View Quote

Logitech makes good stuff. We have several Logitech mice floating around.

The keyboard my new one is replacing was perfectly fine outside of just being loud. I'm a full time student so I type a lot and my wife is a home health nurse so she's often sitting on the other side of the room charting or calling doctor's offices and patients. She'd have to leave the room to talk to people when I was typing

I also kind of got into the allure of semi-custom or custom mechanical keyboards. This is actually the 3rd one I've owned. I use a Filco full size for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I’ve still got a brand new in box OmniKey Ultra Pro from the late 90s.

Unfortunately there’s no way to plug it into a modern computer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've still got a brand new in box OmniKey Ultra Pro from the late 90s.

Unfortunately there's no way to plug it into a modern computer.
View Quote

A PS/2 to USB adapter won't work?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Gentlemen i need to ask you a question in confidence.

Is there any real difference with mechanical keyboards or do you guys just like it because you are bros?

Liking it because it is cool is a fine answer, but my nerd friends have been all about mechanical keyboards for a long time now, and it's gotten to the point where I just can't ask them.

I really don't see the benefit. Are you guys coding or typing a fuck ton? Or is it just.... what is it? Why do so many guys love these?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is there any real difference with mechanical keyboards or do you guys just like it because you are bros?

Liking it because it is cool is a fine answer, but my nerd friends have been all about mechanical keyboards for a long time now, and it's gotten to the point where I just can't ask them.

I really don't see the benefit. Are you guys coding or typing a fuck ton? Or is it just.... what is it? Why do so many guys love these?
View Quote

I do type a lot. As I mentioned above I'm a full time student so a lot of papers to write and just general computer use with some gaming.

There is no comparison for typing feedback with a mechanical switch. Cheap keyboards like dome or membrane keyboards are often low profile type keycaps which is hard to maintain a good typing speed because its easier to get lost where your fingers are. I touch type so I'm not looking at the keyboard. I have to be able to tell where my fingers are. Mechanical keyboards are angled in such a way and each row is actually a different profile keycap so they're designed to be easier to tell where your fingers are on the keyboard without looking down.

The keycap profile is called Cherry which has been around for decades. Going back to typewriters and word processors people have almost always typed on keyboards that have feedback. Membrane keyboards were a cheap option to throw a keyboard in with a computer. Mechanical switches are VERY reliable and often have rated lifespans of something like 50 million keystrokes. Membrane keyboards are relatively fragile and wear out much faster. My MBP had the horrible butterfly switches which were horrible for reliability and feel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last forever when gaming. I pound the same 5 or 6 keys year in and year out without a problem. Rubber dome keys would break in short order.

On top of that, it does what I tell it every time which is a competitive advantage over rubber dome. Same consistent key press that always actuates.

Now if you want to ask if there's anything better about a 200 dollar one and my 70 dollar one, not really. Mine uses some of the best keys available.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I do type a lot. As I mentioned above I'm a full time student so a lot of papers to write and

There is no comparison for typing feedback with a mechanical switch. Cheap keyboards like dome or membrane keyboards are often low profile type keycaps which is hard to maintain a good typing speed because its easier to get lost where your fingers are. I touch type so I'm not looking at the keyboard. I have to be able to tell where my fingers are. Mechanical keyboards are angled in such a way and each row is actually a different profile keycap so they're designed to be easier to tell where your fingers are on the keyboard without looking down.

The keycap profile is called Cherry which has been around for decades. Going back to typewriters and word processors people have almost always typed on keyboards that have feedback. Membrane keyboards were a cheap option to throw a keyboard in with a computer. Mechanical switches are VERY reliable and often have rated lifespans of something like 50 million keystrokes. Membrane keyboards are relatively fragile and wear out much faster. My MBP had the horrible butterfly switches which were horrible for reliability and feel.
View Quote

You are a blend of bro and productivity. You clearly don't need 50m keystrokes but I mean come on if you're going to buy the thing fucking buy a good one right?

I think I get it.
Quoted:

Last forever when gaming. I pound the same 5 or 6 keys year in and year out without a problem. Rubber dome keys would break in short order.

On top of that, it does what I tell it every time which is a competitive advantage over rubber dome. Same consistent key press that always actuates.
View Quote

You might actually utilize the keys a million times and you just want longevity.

I think I kinda get it. Blend between cool, longevity and production if you're in a high word typing environment. (I'm going to add dynamically because gun forum)

Basically i need this because it is cool if I don't need this, but if I do need this then I definitely need this, and I'm just out of the loop.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are a blend of bro and productivity. You clearly don't need 50m keystrokes but I mean come on if you're going to buy the thing fucking buy a good one right?

I think I get it.

You might actually utilize the keys a million times and you just want longevity.

I think I kinda get it. Blend between cool, longevity and production if you're in a high word typing environment. (I'm going to add dynamically because gun forum)

Basically i need this because it is cool if I don't need this, but if I do need this then I definitely need this, and I'm just out of the loop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do type a lot. As I mentioned above I'm a full time student so a lot of papers to write and

I think I get it.
Quoted:

Rubber dome keyboards sound exactly like what they are. Under the keys is a rubber mat that has domes molded into it that provides feedback. That rubber will wear out inconsistently especially for gamers that hit a small number of keys constantly. Eventually, the rubber breaks down and cracks.

Like I said they were designed around throwing in a cheap keyboard for bundle deals but also became popular for the sheer cheap price.

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Recently picked up the Hunstman Mini.  Lack of 10 key sucks but I don’t use it often anyway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think I get it.

View Quote

Nothing super cool about mine. It has RGB which I don't need or want but I just have it set to look like the blue from my reactor.

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Nerds
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beamspring > Model F > Model M
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unicomp, '90 something Model M
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#35]
i has 3 of these. best keyboards ever made.

i have a gateway 2000 keyboard that i sorta like.. from the 80s, a bit different feel.

i also have a highend corsair gaming keyboard with all the bells and whistles. i use the clickys the most..

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hi!

1983 IBM Model F 4704 Banking Terminal (107 key), with new keycaps, powder coated, new USB capsense controller, and a solenoid for good measure:

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
small keyboards are communist
View Quote

But HHKB layout is nifty, especially with Model F buckling springs:

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nerds
View Quote

Yup!  Particularly when someone finds an old 'Nuclear Data Terminal' board from Los Alamos, and we have new keycaps made for an oversize board (green caps, cherry green switches, green backlit num/scroll/caps lock):

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup!  Particularly when someone finds an old 'Nuclear Data Terminal' board from Los Alamos, and we have new keycaps made for an oversize board (green caps, cherry green switches, green backlit num/scroll/caps lock):

http://computergraphicsmuseum.org/images/nuclear_data/ND-812/DSC_0168.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MGzSdZbT/20210919-161330.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice! I nee to redo my old m series...I'm using some POS Amazon thing.

Still better than most for us weirdos who learned to type on non electric typewriters though
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#41]

I hate my G910.  It would be awesome, except that my daughter eats over it and now the "s" key works about 50% of the time and the "ALT" key sticks.

(and several of the illuminated keys are not quite the right color anymore)
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
My daily is this one, which I got brand new with an IBM PS/2

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Keychron TKL with Cherry MX Silent Reds.  Best keyboard I’ve ever had.  Tuxedo color scheme looks nice too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I was given a Steelseries at work. I've liked it once I got used to it. But wanted to try something different. So I ordered a Logitech G915 TKL with linear keys. It'll be here sometime tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out. I recently also got a G715 mouse. All for work use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think I get it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I get it.
Originally Posted By JustinU235:[/b]

I've found the click ratings on keyboards, and mice in particular, to be greatly exaggerated in real world applications.
They outperform cheap ones in most cases, sure. I do mostly production type stuff, light gaming, and shitposting, and I go through a mouse or two a year. There's no way I'm reaching the click lifespan.

I'm pretty hard on them, I really think my grip on the mice and how hard I press the keys kills them fast. Like in a movie where some inadequate character gets his punch caught by the badass, and crushes his hand, dropping him to his knees kind of pressure.

Really the keyboard ratings should be, "can withstand 1,000 smashes from a toddler's milk cup", or "30 'You Died' keyboard smash tantrums", or "Can still operate after dumping an entire coffee or Mountain Dew on it", or "Can withstand if you haven't slept in 36 hours and the pressure on your keys would poke a hole in leather."

Kind of like an LED flashlight that the emitter is rated for 50,000 hours, but the light gets hot like the surface of the sun when it's on high, and only last a couple hundred hours.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you type a lot, the differences are obvious.  Most users don't type a lot all at once anymore.  But mechanicals feel smoother, lighter, and have physically satisfying feedback when used, vs. the cheap mushy membrane garbage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Cherry Reds on my corsair kb.  Almost feels like an AT kb.  :)
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I run the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2014 Edition keyboard.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top