Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/3/2004 11:53:18 AM EDT
I'm heading to the computer game store after work today (less than an hour to go!) and hopefully will be heading home with a copy of Doom3 in my grubby hands.

I hope my 2.4ghz, 512meg, ATI 9500 Pro PC will be able to run it with decent graphics.

Anybody have it? Anybody take a day off from work to play it? (Maybe I should have done that, would have been more productive) Any first impressions?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
My Radeon 9800 AIW Pro took a shit due to watercooling failure. I can't play Doom3 for awhile...I'm pissed! I waited in line to buy Doom I and Doom II when they were first released. This video game will revolutionize and rejuvinate the Computer Gaming industry again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
All in Wonder?
Why not buy the TV Wonder card for $50 and a normal video card? Assuming you have a spare PCI slot, it'll save you like $100 per video card.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Just another FPS... With awesome graphics.

Played 1/2 hour this morning.

The intro reminds me a lot of another popular FPS.

Running on a P4 2.6, ATI 9800 @ 1024x768, medium graphics.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got mine at Best Buy over my lunch break, too bad I'm still at work now tho :(

Have to wait a few more hours to experience this bad boy.

Anyone got any quick reviews?

Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
ya
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
DONT CLICK THAT LINK, POP-UPS GALORE.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Yay.  Another FPS.  

I'm hoping www.fighterops.com/ comes to fruition.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Three... more... hours...
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Woot!
Gamestop had like fifty copies behind the counter.

Now to install it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Wtf!
I keep getting a message saying that CD/DVD emulation software has been detected and I must disable it before continuing.

Anybody know what in the world its seeing?  I dont have any of that stuff installed (to my knowledge).

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Does it have a CD key?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, there's a CD key required.
Apparently the security software doesnt like ISO programs, here's Activision's FAQ on the issue:
Should be here

Found it, CloneCD was causing the problem.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Got mine. Yes, it has a CD key and you have to leave CD#1 in while you play.

- CD

PS: What's your high score in "Super Turbo Turkey Puncher".  
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ya

Nice review.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have heard it is already cracked...big surprise. I will be finding out first hand soon. Gotta make a few calls.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
unfortunatly i can't just run down to the store and pick up a copy.  due to my location, i have to order everything off the internet.  i pre-ordered this from amazon the day i saw the post here about Doom 3 going gold though, and i'm just waiting for the email telling me it shipped....
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yay.  Another FPS.  

I'm hoping www.fighterops.com/ comes to fruition.

Anothing fucking flight sim about the F-16. Yay. Seriously, that aircraft is overused in the sim world.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm gonna wait for the demo before I buy D3.

The only game I'm really waiting for is Half-Life 2.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Got my copy. 2.26ghz P4, 512MB, 9800 Pro, running at 1024x768 on medium. A bit choppy, but still playable since you never face more than a handful of enemies at once.

Pretty spooky game. They put in some effort to try to set up the storyline before things go bezerk, sort of like Half-Life. I can tell they also took some cues from games like Deus Ex, since you can talk to people and access computer displays. Lots of dark rooms, flashing lights, and unexpected events just like the original Doom. Monsters can jump out of staircases you're just about to walk up, or crawl down from open ventilation shafts in the ceiling.

Graphics-wise, the walls, ceilings, pipes, etc. look kind of blocky from texture compression. But the computer displays and stuff are awesome, and they're all sharp enough to read and use. The hand-held computer is pretty nifty too. Haven't gotten to use too many of the weapons yet, they seem adequate. Lighting is detailed and scary.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have heard it is already cracked...big surprise. I will be finding out first hand soon. Gotta make a few calls.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Yes, yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Eh, pathetic multiplayer.
phuk it, not paying for something I won't play more than a couple of days (if that).

Anyone else find themselves playing maybe two games long-term? One real long term (for me, flight sims [eta: Been playing the IL2 Sturmovik series since its release]), and the other is just switching up other 'fad' games as they come out (mostly shooters [can't wait for Battlefield 2! ]).
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Holy CRAP talk about seat of your pants.

If you've ever played Aliens vs Predator as the marine, you have an idea of what the environment of Doom3 is like: Enemies can come out of anywhere, its friggen dark, etc etc.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#26]
tagged.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
this is funny :)

Now that's just plain cruel
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
It's fun for a singleplayer game (but it's kinda getting old already), but the multiplayer sucks ass, run'n'gun to the max and with only 4 players it sucks.  There is trick/hack to run over 4 player servers, but from what I hear they run extremely poorly, must be the reason for the 4 player limit...  2-4 player coop would have been alot of fun, but nooooo....  Hopefully someone pumps out a coop mod quickly that works well.

And yes, it's already been "cracked", it was out online Saturday night before you could get it in any stores...

I'm playing it on a more entry level PC, a AMD 2200+ with 512mb DDR (266mhz) ram and a Geforce FX5600.  I have to run it on 640x480 with low details to get a decent framerate, but it actually looks better than most games with higher settings at those levels, so it's still pretty damn sweet....

I've played for around 5 hours already, kinda getting bored of it already...  The lighting effects are freakin awesome but wondering around in the dark can only be fun for so long.  And what kind of zombie game has zombies that don't adhere to the proper rules?? IE you can shoot these bastards square in the head and take most of their head off and it doesn't down them....  Wow, an unrealistic zombie game, lol...
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#29]
peekay:
LMAO!

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm cheap, I'll wait until it's on sale.  I can't justify paying $55 on a video game.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#32]
The more I think about it, the less I like it...

Too much hype, too little game.
I would much prefer a full-featured game which would run slow on current machines- atleast then with the next generation (within a year) of computer components, we've got a game that pushes machines to their limits. THAT would kick ass.
As of now, it's more or less what HALO would have been if it only came out for PC.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Just because it is single player for the most part does not mean you will not see mods for it. Look at Quake as an example.  That's where the fun is anyway.  As far as BF2 goes, so far it looks like a cleaned up version of DC to me.  As such, just like BF-V, it will probably be boring as hell.  I am really forward to HL2 so I can play team fortress again.  I am sick of realistic type FPS war games after playing DoD,AA,  EoD, BF42, BFV, DC, CoD, MOH:AA, and even Farycry which while looking pretty after seeing so much brown in DC was more or less the same old thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#34]
www.petitiononline.com/kull1522/petition.html
STOP THIS EVIL GAME ....

BWHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Just because it is single player for the most part does not mean you will not see mods for it. Look at Quake as an example.  That's where the fun is anyway.  As far as BF2 goes, so far it looks like a cleaned up version of DC to me.  As such, just like BF-V, it will probably be boring as hell.  I am really forward to HL2 so I can play team fortress again.  I am sick of realistic type FPS war games after playing DoD,AA,  EoD, BF42, BFV, DC, CoD, MOH:AA, and even Farycry which while looking pretty after seeing so much brown in DC was more or less the same old thing.

BF2 isn't like BFV, which was like a cleaned up EoD. BF2 is a revamped engine, etc- so if anything, we'll have better graphics on the new mods.

As for realistic, to each his own. Some like quake 3 and counterstrike, others like Operation Flashpoint. I personally can't wait for Opflash 2 to come out- I just hope the devs make it even more realistic this time around.

AA is a nice in-between. Lots of fun (I still play once in a while).

At the moment, I just basically play IL2 Forgotten Battles: Ace Expansion with a squadron and Joint Operations with some of the guys from that squad, as a team (Lots of fun, cleaning up a server, or playing against 95 target drones AI's).
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
www.petitiononline.com/kull1522/petition.html
STOP THIS EVIL GAME ....

BWHAHAHAHA

Good lord, look how many people actually signed that!
Good thing 95% of them posted comments making fun of that original message
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't do multiplayer, so I for one am happy that game makers are still making good single player games.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Booya.  haven't liked a game this much since...um....Doom!

Finding the director's PDA now (which, btw, the pda bs is kinda...silly)
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The hell it is! I wouldn't want to loose my comfy job because some zombie went to www.DEADsexy.com. I'd send someone out to get it too!
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hell it is! I wouldn't want to loose my comfy job because some zombie went to www.DEADsexy.com. I'd send someone out to get it too!

what about martianbuddy.com?  I like that one.

TIME TO LET OL' PAINLESS OUT OF THE BAG!

Link Posted: 8/3/2004 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]
PDAs? Sounds sorta like System Shock 2 (Which is/was a VERY underrated game). I can't justify paying an extra 500 or so dollars for when I get my laptop to play all these graphically enhanced games. Doom 3 looks great, but it better have more substance than style. So I'll probably wait a year or so to get it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#42]
must.. upgrade... video card....

This is awsome, but the whole "can not equip flashlight and weapon at same time, even though you're in ultra-low light areas" stuff is pissing me off.

Scaring the hell out of me though...

<clink>

Hello? is anyone there??
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Cool game so far. I need a new card my geforce 5200 sucks. I checked bit torrent last night and 37000 people where downloading it. I checked again today before i went to work and approx 32000 people downloading.

Bit torrent is going to eat alot of their profits.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Bit torrent is going to eat alot of their profits.

iD makes money through licensing of their engines more than their games.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Spoiler if you don't want to know how many maps/what they are....
Mars City 1: marscity1.map
Mars City Underground: mcunderground.map
Mars City 2: marscity2.map
Administration: admin.map
Alpha Labs Sector 1: alpha1.map
Alpha Labs Sector 2: alpha2.map
Alpha Labs Sector 3: alpha3.map
Alpha Labs Sector 4: alpha4.map
EnPro Plant: enpro.map
Communications Transfer: commout.map
Communications: communications.map
Monorail Skybridge: recycling1.map
Recycling Sector 2: recycling2.map
Monorail: monorail.map
Delta Labs Level 1: delta1.map
Delta Labs Level 2A: delta2a.map
Delta Labs Level 2B: delta2b.map
Delta Labs Level 3: delta3.map
Delta Labs Level 4: delta4.map
Hell: hell.map
Delta Complex: delta5.map
CPU Complex: cpu1.map
Central Processing: cpuboss.map
Site 3: site3.map
Caverns Area 1: caverns1.map
Caverns Area 2: caverns2.map
Primary Excavation: hellhole.map
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I am loveing this game.
But my computer is draging hard on it.
What do you guys think I should upgrade.
Cpu 2100 amd
vid card fx5700 256 meg
1 gig of pc3200 ram

I have $150 to play with for up grades.
NoKArma
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#47]
CPU, go to pricewatch and get a AthlonXP 3200+  Its the fastest a Socket A chipset will handle.  Make sure your mother board can handle it.  That'll make for a huge boost I think.  Last time I looked you could get a 3200 for $120 or so.  ]www.pricewatch.com]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Game scares the living piss outta me, its now 10 to midnight, and I think im done for the night :)

The engine runs very smoothly, considering it only has to render indoor environments. The AI is ok, nothing groundbreaking, but the scripted events are cool, and common. Once you play through a mission once, it will play the same the next time you run through it, unlike FarCry where the AI is more dynamic and unpredictable.

Also pissed about the flashlight/weapon switching...annoying as hell, but really brings the "scary" factor up a notch or two.  I was impressed with the atmosphere and "gloom"....definitely the right choice for the Doom series. Although now that I look back on it Doom and Doom II were like walks in disneyland compared to this game.

I hate zombies, and this games full of them. Creepy as....well, its doom.

I still dig Far Cry more, but this ones definitely a fun one!

AMD 3.2 Geforce 5900 overclocked at 1024x768 and it runs fine at high detail with AA/AF
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Ill wait for it on XBox
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top