Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2004 4:42:42 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/08/02/directedenergyweapons.ap/index.html

Can't wait for the first Disruptor Ray's to go on sale at The Sharper Image.

Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Can't wait for the first Disruptor Ray's to go on sale at The Sharper Image.
]

Who are you kidding?

Us dirty-ass civilians will never be allowed to buy stuff like this. It's for the children.

Just imagine how many thrusts per squeeze you can get out of one of these things.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, we could use a mess of those "Active Denial Systems" on our Southern border... like that would ever happen.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I think something similar to the hand phasers are atleast several decades away.
This guy's probably talking about something that would be mounted atop a HMMWVV, with a redesigned engine and transmission that also acts as a small powerstation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It all started with Tesla.  The .mil's been looking into these things for *quite* some time - even longer if you're a tin foil hatter.

Here's a program that I always had a stiffy for:

www.de.afrl.af.mil/Factsheets/SHIVA.html

Go, go, Shiva Star!

Although DEWs are UFC (uber-friggin' cool), the caveat to all this is that, eventually (i.e. once all those pesky int'l laws and human rights issues are "safely" out of the way), these things could be used on We The People by our own .mil and/or .gov.

"Although it seems like it would be more desirable to disable rather than to kill them, the problem is there are all sorts of treaties in place that limit how you can disable noncombatants," said Loren Thompson of the Lexington Institute, a defense think tank. "It's kind of perverse, but sometimes the backlog of old laws can get in the way of being humane."

Disabling, rather than killing, a metric buttload of civilians goes over a lot easier on the evening news.  A repeat of our Kent State or China's Tiennenman Square would have many ppl up in arms.  If they were all just "incapacitated," Joe & Jane Six-pack wouldn't even get up from the couch over it.  And *that* is why it's [eventually] more desirable to disable rather than to kill.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
'Phasers on Stun'...

Sounds like they may actually invent the above (chicken stunner)...

I bet the Israelis will want to get their hands on this stuff...

'Don't bring rocks to a phaser fight'...

Link Posted: 8/9/2004 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
these things could will be used on We The People by our own .mil and/or .gov.

Fixed it for ya'.

They will be used against us.

They will not be used on the Border to stop invading Aztlaners.

They will be found to have lasting permanent effects in some cases (which will then be blown exponentially out of proportion by the media and the leftists).

They will not be legally allowed for Joe-sixpack to ever posess no matter how cheap the technology gets.

They will get into the hands of our enemy shortly after their development and used against us both in war and in terrorism. The technology will be given to China too.

Lethal versions will probably be produced first, but not publicized.

This technology will be coupled with UAV and UGCV technology to make quite a kickass military/government/LEO force to "keep the peace".

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
these things could will be used on We The People by our own .mil and/or .gov.

Fixed it for ya'.

They will be used against us.

They will not be used on the Border to stop invading Aztlaners.

They will be found to have lasting permanent effects in some cases (which will then be blown exponentially out of proportion by the media and the leftists).

They will not be legally allowed for Joe-sixpack to ever posess no matter how cheap the technology gets.

They will get into the hands of our enemy shortly after their development and used against us both in war and in terrorism. The technology will be given to China too.

Lethal versions will probably be produced first, but not publicized.

This technology will be coupled with UAV and UGCV technology to make quite a kickass military/government/LEO force to "keep the peace".

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Wow, Mac, I hadn't seen your post until today (goin' through some old ones).  You sure as hell did fix it for me!  I hadn't wanted to be so fatalistic by saying "will," lest someone accuse me of sporting the tinfoil beanie.  Ultimately, though, you're right.  It will be used on us, not the ppl who "need" it.

"I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses" (also from the song - I think they were talking 'bout your smilie).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top