Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/29/2022 11:00:49 PM EDT

Our kids are 4 and 7 and this year we took them to a couple of local mini theme parks where they did great.  They both want to go to Disney World, I figure they have a window of this year and next for them both to enjoy it.  I never went as a kid and went there once with my wife when we were dating just to check it out, but it was a while back... we enjoyed Sea World, Gatorland and Cypress Gardens more than anything Disney, but the kiddos... they want Elsa and Lightning McQueen.

When to go, where to go, where to stay?

DISCLAIMER:  I already know that Disney is woke globohomo and will try to turn my kids into Ts and Qs when I'm not looking... trust me... we're good.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Prepare your butthole OP.

ETA: Enjoy your trip. Took the family to Disneyland a few months ago, kiddos had the time of their lives. And not a groomer in sight.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck all that
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Budget??
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
This would be better asked in team.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
5-7 days minimum and thats to see just the stuff you want to see and not the whole thing...

book early

get great walking shoes

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#8]
No matter what, don't go in the summer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to several national parks
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Legit advice; join a gym and spend time on the treadmill, once you hit 25,000 steps in one session you're ready.

Eta: suck up the $$$ and stay at a resort hotel. Staying at an offsite hotel is way cheaper but enormous hassle and aggro at the end of a long day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Stay at the Port Orleans hotel in the park.
Staying in the park allows you to come and go throughout the day. It will be good when the 4 year old gets tired. We took my son when he was 4, 5, 6 and 7. 5 was good. 6 was better. They have better stamina. The Port Orleans has a good pool and the boat takes you to Downtown Disney aka Disney Springs. Taking advantage of the transportation options available to inside the park stays is a no brainer. We didn't move our car for 5 days! Meal plans are also a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Early May, after spring break, before school's out

Pop Century (You can ride Skyliner to Epcot and Studios) bus to Magic and Animal

Park Hopper
Park of choice in AM, hope to Epcot for dinner/drink each afternoon

Plan one day at waterpark

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My parents are big into Disney and I can get over how much admission is to the parks. Everything costs money too now. Fast pass costs extra, Google pay for premium fast pass etc. They even bought a Disney timeshare. It's expensive overall. They get 17 days per year at Disney resorts, my brother spent two weeks in Hawaii at Aulani. My parents are staying at the Polynesian. I'd recommend a budget Disney resort.

That being said, they're a giant woke organization. I'll take my kids at least once but not too willingly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay at the Port Orleans hotel in the park.
View Quote
Solid choice  

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, A few years ago a colleague of mine would go every year.  Typically averaged $1K per day for a family of four (including lodging and travel expenses)
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
You and your wife dress up like Elsa and Lightning for a week. Save $8700 (at least).

Kids will have the time of their lives. Take pics. Make memories.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
The material available to plan a Disney trip could fill a book.  You can get really deep in the weeds doing it.

My wife was friends with the owner or a high-up manager at The Enchanted Traveler, a Disney trip planning company.  Yes, there are companies that help people plan Disney trips.  I guess specialized travel agents.  We used them once, and they gave pretty solid help.  I have no idea what they charge.

My main advice is to plan on at least one sit-down meal a day, make reservations for everything as far in advance as you can, and if you have small kids and are going to be there 3 or more days, take a “break” day in the middle that doesn’t involve any parks.  There is a lot to do outside them.  Half a day at the pool will help the kids recharge.

I am not a fan of park hopper passes.  It’s hard to get your money’s worth for the extra cost, and traveling between parks takes up a big chunk of time.  Besides, you can fill a day with any park.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
1) it’s expensive

2) most of the haters here either have never been or can’t afford it.

3) it’s fun
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Rent a condo with more space for MUCH less than staying on property. We rented a 3 bed, 2 bath at Windsor Hills for about $120 per night. The place was great and they have a small water park next to the pool. https://www.windsorhillsprivaterentals.com/windsor-hills-resort/

Do NOT try to do two parks on back to back days. It will be too much for the 4 year old. My youngest was 4 when we went and we made the mistake of going to Epcot the day after Magic Kingdom.

Drive down to Cocoa Beach, they will love it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe go to Disneyland instead of Disney World?  It's got to be less hassle.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
we just went a couple of weeks ago for 7 days, my kids are the same age as yours. we did 4 parks and stayed at the boardwalk villas suites, it was fun overall and we spend close to $15k for everything like flights, food and genie+ was worth every penny. kids got the magicbands+ and other shit i can't remember. i certainly didn't nickel and dime since it was their first time i like to go big. we paid for a travel agent to handle all the plans except flights, made it easy for all the hard to get lunch/dinner reservations.

Disney Springs was nice with excellent food but at the parks, it was okay and expensive as expected.

have fun and ignore the haters here, plus so many hot ass MILFs and lots of fat fucks in their electric scooters too

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Disney Caribbean cruise.
Thank me later.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
we just went a couple of weeks ago for 7 days, my kids are the same age as yours. we did 4 parks and stayed at the boardwalk villas suites, it was fun overall and we spend close to $15k for everything like flights, food and genie+ was worth every penny. kids got the magicbands+ and other shit i can't remember. i certainly didn't nickel and dime since it was their first time i like to go big.

have fun and ignore the haters here, plus so many hot ass MILFs and lots of fat fucks in their electric scooters too

View Quote
That's a lot of money still...
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's a lot of money still...
View Quote
i know but the biggest expense was the hotel. we're not going to do it again for another 4-5 years.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Our kids are 4 and 7 and this year
View Quote

If they're girls, take them to the Bibbidi Bobbiti Boutique.  You have to schedule well in advance.  If they're boys, take them to Medieval Times for dinner and a show, and get them knighted.   Although the girls freaking love Medieval Times too, and can get princessed-up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Bro stay at the poly and freaking make sure you Do ohana
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Aside from all the woke crap Disney sucks anymore unless you both are serious planners and make a tight schedule with several days. That are can pay for VIP guide, which is only way to see while park in short time. If you got the cash do it, worth if if Disney is your thing. We ended up giving up our annual passes because the park is a nightmare anymore. Have a charged phone and portable battery, your going to need your phone for nearly every thing. If you must go get the app and learn it well.

Bring lots of cash or credit cards (if that’s how you roll) to have a remotely ok time.

If you stay off resort property and think your saving money, that may be true, but you’ll spend 1/4 less time having fun and half the chances of getting on the desired attractions. Even Epcot has become a overcrowded nightclub with many of the decent eateries booked in advance.

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Username checks out
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Be sure to check out the Democratic fundraiser held Tuesdays 7:30pm behind the castle in Magic Kingdom.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Get one of the smoked turkey legs, they are legit tasty.  Have fun, my family had a great time at Disney and we were not turned into libs or queers. Lots of walking, wear good, well worn shoes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nope
View Quote

Just send me the money and I’ll do something useful with it.

Fuck Disney, long may they burn.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I've done about 6 DW trips with the family since my girls were 2 and 3. Stayed at Boardwalk (2), Contemporary (3) and Polynesian

Research: Go to allears.com and mousesavers and read. Read a lot. Lots of good advice on when/where to go, ways to save. What to skip and how to navigate reservations on the app. You will need to get the app. If you are military they have discounts.

Consider getting a Disney visa card. It offers discounts in the park on merch and at some restaurants and purchases go toward Disney gift cards.

Where to stay: Staying on property offers some perks but you'll pay for it. Mostly the main benefit is kids that age last only a few hours in the park, so staying someplace nearby, even walking distance to relax/clean up for a few hours before going back to the parks later can save the day (see park hopper ticket option). Also Magic hours at specific parks on different days extends opening or closing times for people staying on property.

Meal plans: If you stay on the property you may consider the meal plan. Price it out at places you may want to eat at and see if the prices work out. the kiddo plan is a lot less vs adult.

Ticket and parks: Park hopper option lets you visit multiple parks same day so leaving for a few hours to return won't seem like as much of a waste. Note: the water parks are crowded to the point of being obscene and using the busing on Disney takes a bit of time. If you can skip it I would recommend it.

Groceries: A lot of places deliver groceries and alcohol to hotels on and near Disney world. Last trip, Amazon prime fresh was key and we made all are meals except dinner in the hotel and they charge about the same as regular grocery stores. You can bring food and non-alcoholic drinks into the park.

Consider a cheap umbrella stroller for the youngest one. It can be a lifesaver.

Refillable mugs: Probably worth it if staying for a week.

Other splurges: For the girl, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique will make her into a princess, but pricey.

Dole whips at magic kingdom and at the Polynesian hotel.

Bottled water is a must: Orlando water is gross, a lot of sulfur taste. Any counter service place will give free ice water. Starbucks is best chance of getting filtered iced water for free.

Disney is pricy. If you have the means, don't worry too much about the money and spoil the kids every once in a while. Doesn't mean go hog wild, but be prepared if they want a candied apple or a balloon that will run $10+. Oh, reminds me, buy some Disney stuff before hand...like if your boy wants pirate stuff, buy and bring it vs paying $30 in the park.

ETA: might want to grab signature books for each kid. When they meet a character they may want to get their signature. My youngest is into trading Disney pins, so buying a grab bag off the internet will get them started with trading with staff or at the stores if that interests them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Look up all the extra expenses they don't tell you about.
Look up all the things you have to do to actually ride anything now.
Make sure you have you reservation BEFORE you buy your tickets or you're in for a nasty surprise.

Then book a vacation to Universal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Look up all the extra expenses they don't tell you about.
Look up all the things you have to do to actually ride anything now.
Make sure you have you reservation BEFORE you buy your tickets or you're in for a nasty surprise.

Then book a vacation to Universal.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]
We took the kids a few years ago.  Stayed a week with one day spent at Disney.

We rented a house with pool about a 20 minute drive from the park.  Nice 5 bedroom with private pool for $1,500.  They all went to Disney.  Me and my FIL drank beer by the pool.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's the plan:
PLAN to support a NON-WOKE business
There are thousands of things you could do on vacation that do not involve supporting Disney
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Why not just take them to a BLM rally then go to the Drag show afterparty?

I can afford it and have been, my wife loves that shit.  I can't stand it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#39]
What the hell is wrong with people who think they can't raise kids without a groomer pedo mouse?

Be creative.  Do something special for your kids.  Don't follow the crowd
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
1) it's expensive

2) most of the haters here either have never been or can't afford it.

3) it's fun
View Quote
We hate them for damn good reason.  And I've been to both DL & DW multiple times.  
Many other ways to have fun with family besides supporting anti-American commies
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I was just looking to book Disney today.... After seeing I would be spending over 1k in park passes alone, I said nope nope nope and booked a trip to cancun
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#42]
We stayed at two resorts in October. Old Key West, and 1 night at the Wilderness Lodge. Kids might like the Wilderness Lodge better. Great pools.

We had 4 park days, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Majic Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios and one "pool" day at the hotel.

Buy the Genie + for the Parks and use it, wait times can be 2-1/2 hours even in off season.

For a family of 4 plan for a little over a $1000 a day for lodging and park fees if you stay on park. We used park transportation and airport shuttles the whole time we were there and it worked out very well.

Plan for food costs, there are some great places to eat but they are expensive, packing lunches and snacks for the day save alot of money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What the hell is wrong with people who think they can't raise kids without a groomer pedo mouse?

Be creative.  Do something special for your kids.  Don't follow the crowd
View Quote
My sister takes her daughter every year. The kid is going to be a spoiled brat and doesn't make her love mommy more. I'd rather see my sister teach her how to camp, how to shoot, how to do basic carpentry, etc.... but giving $$$ to big corporations = being a good parent I guess.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Wife and I are at Wilderness Lodge right now with the kids. It’s been great so far. All the parks are fun but Magic Kingdom-is great for kids in your range. Going week after thanksgiving was great due to less people. Do your research and go during times with less people. Good deals to be had if you look.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#45]
We last went in 2019 and had a great time even though we went over Christmas break. It was a good time but was really busy. We also went end of February into March and it wasn’t nearly as busy.

If you’re looking to save some money check out Pop Century for a hotel. It was being remodeled when we stayed and the new rooms are pretty good. They aren’t anything special but you really aren’t in the room much anyways. Plus I think they have the gondola now that connects you to some of the parks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Our kids are 4 and 7 and this year we took them to a couple of local mini theme parks where they did great.  They both want to go to Disney World, I figure they have a window of this year and next for them both to enjoy it.  I never went as a kid and went there once with my wife when we were dating just to check it out, but it was a while back... we enjoyed Sea World, Gatorland and Cypress Gardens more than anything Disney, but the kiddos... they want Elsa and Lightning McQueen.

When to go, where to go, where to stay?

DISCLAIMER:  I already know that Disney is woke globohomo and will try to turn my kids into Ts and Qs when I'm not looking... trust me... we're good.
View Quote

Ok. So half my wife’s family works for the Mouse. They’re all decent people, and we’ve had fun there.
If you’re just doing the parks, stay on campus. Logistics are easier, more park access, immersive experience. Etc…

I prefer the Yacht and Beach Club or the Grand Floridian. My BIL got married at The Grand Floridian, and it was, to sound trite, magical.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge would also be cool, but I’ve never stayed there.

Meal plans have changed recently, so do some research, but do cover reality. You know how you eat.
Personally, I’d still get a rental car and go off campus to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, whatever it’s called now. Rainforest Cafe, a great bowling place there too. You can take an Italian taxi or Amphicar ride across the lake. Pretty cool.

Universal Studios is freaking awesome, but not Disney.
If you do get out, an easy drive is Cocoa. It’s a touristy beach, but you can do RonJon’s, and the peer is pretty decent. Grab some peel and eats, a beer, and enjoy the live Reggae.

If you stay off campus, I highly suggest an AirBNB/VRBO/whatever rental. It’ll probably be cheaper, feeding the kids a couple meals a day from the kitchen, and if it’s the summer get one with a pool.
Easy distraction for the kids, and it’ll wear them out so you and wifey can have some time alone.

Whatever you decide on, it’s going to be expensive.
Last time we took a big family trip down was 2018. Spent 20K easy over the whole thing. And we drove down…
Yes, six kids (our five and a friend), but we didn’t even  have to pay for park admission because of family.

So for two kids, paying for entrance? I’m assuming same estimate? Maybe not, do serious research and maximize any deals. But understand you’re going to spend much more, end of day.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If I don’t have the answer I’ll ask my family.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Watch a YouTube video instead
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Go on an awesome cruise instead. Fuck the rat.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#49]
If you are a veteran stay at Shades of Green in the park. Low key, has a pool and close to most parks. My family went a few times when I was a kid with my AF vet grandpa. Had a good time
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#50]
The same people who hate on Disney World prices are the same who bitch about urban youth in other places. You get what you pay for. I don’t think taking your kids on 1 trip a year spoils them. If so what the fuck are you doing with them the other 51 weeks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top